Enhance students' understanding of and ability to use knowledge by engaging them in mental processes that involve identifying ways items are alike and different.
Recommendations for Classroom Practice
(from Using Technology with Classroom Instruction That Works):
- Teach students to use comparing, classifying, metaphors, and analogies when they identify similarities and differences.
- Give students a model of the steps for engaging in the process.
- Use a familiar context to teach the steps.
- Have students use graphic organizers a a visual tool to represent the similarities and differences.
- Guide students as they engage in this process. Gradually give less structure and less guidance.
How can technology be used to help students compare, classify, and use metaphors and analogies?