Java is the most robust, easy to use and versatile programming language. It includes the best aspects of earlier programming languages such as C and C++. It allows you to create powerful applications with features like built-in multimedia capabilities. Java is a unique language because of its features available for the Internet.
In 1990, Sun Microsystems decided to branch out into consumer electronics. For this, the group developed a language called Oak that was similar to C++ programming language. Oak was small enough to fit on chips that could be placed in palm-sized computing devices. In 1994, the group focused on adapting Oak as a language that could be used to develop online web multimedia applications. Sun renamed Oak to Java.
- Java is a programming language that runs over the Internet. On Internet, Java programs range from games to web pages to complex Internet applications.
- Java can be used on multiple platforms. Programs developed using Java, are absolutely machine-independent i.e. it can run on any computer platform.
- Security features of Java make it a language that is used for developing Internet applications and applets. Java was designed with the specific intention of protecting the Internet users from viruses and hackers. Programs written in Java cannot access the user's system, for example, files on user's system.
- Java is a strongly typed language, that is, there are no pointers in Java.
- Java is designed around Object-Oriented model. The Object-Oriented model is a way of integrating the data in the program with the program code that manipulates the data.