Visit this site to answer your "Hispanic Heritage By The Numbers" questions:
Click on the website indicated. Here are the questions! Print them out if you do not have your paper!
National Hispanic Heritage Month
Access the website: .http://www.infoplease.com/spot/hhmcensus1.html#axzz0zVRdGxzS and answer the following questions
either on-line or after printing out sheet. Have a hard copy to bring to class!
1. ____________________= the estimate Hispanic population of the U.S. as
of July 1, 2008, not counting the population of Puerto Rico, which adds another
_______________________Hispanic residents to the above figure.
2. Which is the only country that has an Hispanic population greater than the U.S.?
____________________________ which ranks the U.S. ___________worldwide
as of 2008.
3. Currently, the Hispanic population of our country accounts for
____________% of our total population, and the projected percentage by 2050 is
4. Which Hispanic immigrant group is the largest in the U.S. and what percentage is it of the total Hispanic population of our country?
5. What are the three other largest Hispanic groups in the U.S.?
6. At 45%, which state leads in the percentage of Hispanics to the total state population?
7. What are the six states with next highest percentages of Hispanics to their total state populations and what are the numbers?
8. How many states have at least a half-million Hispanic residents? Name them!
9. What are the two states with the highest percentage increases in Hispanic
population between 2007 & 2008?
10. Which U.S. county has the highest Hispanic population of any county in the nation & what is its population?
11. How many U.S. residents age 5 and older spoke Spanish at home in 2007?
12. How many Hispanic names are among the top 15 in the country and What are they from highest rank to lowest?
13. How many Hispanic chief executives (heads of companies) are there in the U.S.?
How many Hispanics are doctors?___________________
College professors? ________________
News analysts, reporters & correspondents? ________________
14. How many Hispanics voted in the 2008 presidential election?_______________
How much of an increase was this over 2004? _________________
15. How many Hispanics are veterans of the U.S. armed forces? _____________________
Click on www.colapublib.org/hispanic to answer the short list of questions.
Print this out if you do not have your paper!
1. What is the purpose of "National Hispanic Heritage Month?"
2. For how many years has it been celebrated?
3. How did this become an "official" celebration sanctioned by the U.S. government?
4. When is National Hispanic Heritage Month celebrated? (dates)
5. Why was the September-October time period chosen for this commemoration?
6. Which countries mark their independence during this time and on which dates?