Exploring the concept of path difference
1. Click on the blue box and a point P will appear on the screen.
2. You will also see additional information about the distance S1P and S2P. Take note S1P and S2P have been measured in terms of the number of wavelength.
3. Drag the slider for Py to vary the vertical position of point P.
4. Take note of the change that appears to S1P, S2P and |S1P – S2P|.
(Note: alternatively, you may mouse over point P and the cursor will change from a + symbol to a finger symbol J. Click on the point P when J appears and you can move point P about by moving the mouse.)
Full screen applet
kindly hosted in NTNUJAVA Virtual Physics Laboratory by Professor Fu-Kwun Hwang http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?topic=2067.0 alternatively, go direct to http://www.phy.ntnu.edu.tw/ntnujava/index.php?board=28.0 Collaborative Community of EJS (Moderator: lookang) and register , login and download all of them for free :) This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Singapore License
Author: Andrew Duffy, Juan M. Aguirregabiria and lookang
Activity 4 (continued)
4. Click on “S1 and S2” to observe the resultant wave at point P.
NB: You are to check with your tutor your understanding of your observation before you proceed to the next section.***
Assessment for learning, Check point for Activity 4, these responses are shared with the best intentions to improve students' collaborative learning :)