the date for the meeting.
- The date for the three year re-evaluation should
be on the 3 year anniversary of the previous evaluation and meeting.
- This date is usually located on the ADM 1 page
of the IEP.
- It is helpful to determine the meeting date as
early as possible in the year and to notify all team members. This keeps
the process on track and assures that it will be in compliance with the
mandated time lines.
- Remember you have 45 days from receipt of consent to complete the whole process
2. Determine what assessments will be completed.
- Review file: Carefully
review the student’s past testing, previous IEPs, progress reports and current
- Test in the area of the disability or suspected
disability. An example of how this is applied: If the student does not have
concerns around receptive and expressive language, then a speech and language
evaluation would not be recommended.
- Tests that must be completed: educational achievement; educational assessment Part
A and B (esped # 57 and 58 ), and current teacher reports.
- Optional Assessments: Psychological, Health, Home Assessment, Speech and
the parent of the pending three year re-evaluation.
This is usually done by phone. At this time you can talk to the parent about the
evaluation, the tentative meeting date,
and answer any questions they may have.
Some parents are more comfortable discussing the evaluation
process face to face. If so, invite the parent to come in and
talk to you. When you meet with the parent you can explain the evaluation and ask the parent to
sign the consent to test form and the other forms in the consent packet.
It is wiser to meet with the parent to discuss the evaluation, since this sets
up a rapport, provides for more parent
input and builds trust.
Provide a consent packet to the parent.
This packet should contain:
- N1 proposal for the re-evaluation (esped # 33)
- N1A- the consent to test: clearly identifies the
tests to be completed (esped # 31)
- "The Procedural Safeguards"
- form confirming the parents received the
Procedural Safeguards (see attachment)
- the Mass Health form (see attachment)
- the Authorization to Release Information Form (see attachment)
- the Medical form, if this assessment will be
completed. (see the ETL for this
After the parent has signed consent, provide an official
notification of the evaluation
to each person who will be responsible for testing or reporting on the student.
Assignment: The notification
should include: the student’s name, date of birth, grade, address, phone
number, parents’ names and contact information, date the report is due to
the liaison and the date of the meeting. (see Team Assignment Sheet attachment)
Referral Form: If there will be
a psychological assessment send the psychological referral form to
Lillian Benson, School Psychologist. Please, provide the Team Meeting
- Completion of a psychological assessment is not
always necessary for a three year re-evaluation. Review the file
carefully before you make this decision. If in doubt, consult with the ETL
and or the psychologist.
6. Track The Process
Use the Tracking Sheet to track the progress of the evaluation and dates for compliance with state and federal regulations (see Tracking Sheet attachment).