What is the GDLThe Group of Dynamics of the Lithosphere is a group of researchers nucleated in 1998 at the Institut de Ciències de la Terra Jaume Almera (ICTJA-CSIC) but today incorporating people from different institutes and countries united by their interest on lithospheric-scale processes and their interaction with processes occurring on the Earth's surface. Our objectives are:
to determine the structure and properties of the crust and lithosphere
to study the long-term lithospheric evolution coupling shallow- and deep-seated processes
to develop 2D and 3D numerical geodynamic models
Questions we address
- Paleoclimate, deformation, and erosion history of orogenic plateaus such as the Pyrenees, Zagros, Atlas, Andes and the Tibetan Plateau.
- Sedimentary basin evolution and detrital records of orogen erosion, paleotopography, paleoclimate, and vegetation.
- Numerical modeling (tectonic, thermal, mechanical, atmospheric, and surface process models).
- Low-temperature, fission-track thermochronology.
- Field work on structural geology, stratigraphy, and geomorphology.
- Geographic information systems (GIS)
- Geophysical data analysis (heat flow, gravity, seismic reflection profiles)