Military Funeral Honors

Has your Father, Mother, Grandfather, Grandmother, Uncle or Aunt served

in the US Air Force, US Army, US Coast Guard, US Marines, US Merchant Marines or US Navy?

World War II? Korea? Vietnam? Lebanon or Granada? Panama? Gulf War or the War on Terrorism?

Military Funeral Honors were earned by every Veteran

who has served honorably in any branch of the United States military.

Honors for all Veterans typically consist of an honor guard, firing party,

the playing of taps and the folding and presentation of a burial flag.

Do you have or know where a copy of the Veteran's

Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD 214) is?

A copy of the DD 214 showing honorable service is essential if a Veteran or their family

desires the Veteran be buried in a National cemetery.

Blue Grass American Legion Post 711 is honored to perform Military Funeral Honors

for any deceased Veteran, whether they were a member of Post 711 or not. While local

funeral homes usually contact Post 711 when honors are desired, relatives of the

deceased Veteran may also contact Post 711 directly for assistance.

Blue Grass American Legion Post 711 Legion Home is available for funeral

luncheons at no cost. Use one of the methods below to determine the availability

of Legion Home and to make the necessary arrangements.

To contact Post 711, call (563) 381-4380 and leave a message, send an email to

the Post email address or contact any Legionnaire.

Request Pertaining to Military Records, SF 180

Request for Presidential Memorial Certificate, VA 40-0247

**For information on obtaining medallions for existing, privately purchased

headstones or markers, click here.

Retiree Casualty Assistance Checklist (RCAC), click here.

**While the RCAC is designed for retirees, it is a good checklist to be used

by any Veteran and their family.