This section will handle the Symbian S60V5 directory file structure and what each directory contains.
And in details
- Data directory contains all applications data related files such as maps for GPS applications.
- Games - Nothing much to add, I think. Most well written Games will reside in this directory.
- Images - Whenever you take a picture using the Cameras, edit a picture or do any picture related operation, the picture files will be saved under Images directory and its Sub-directories (BackGrounds, Camera, Pictures, Precense). Files Under the Sub-directory Camera will be sorted in sub-directories acording to the date and time the pictures were taken. Bear in mind that Moded CFW will look for images' files under this directory. Official one don't have this directory at all!
- MBcacheFiles - This Directory contains the cache files for the OS itself and for the Web Browser. The file's extention is usually .dat
- Music - Just as with the Images directory, this one is also almost too obvious. it too holds all Music related files. Bear in mind that Moded CFW will look for images' files under this directory. Official one don't have this directory at all!
- Others directory contain , as mentioned above, mostlly private data such as contacts.
- PowerDicSymbianV9 directory is simply a directory that contain the Samsung official dictionary files for languages such as eng/ger, eng/french, eng/spanish and so on. No hebrew dictionary I am afraid.
- Private - well this directory is what we all came in for. This directory actually contains ALL the configuration files in XML file format (Altough marked as TXT files) to control and change ANY preference you will ever want/think of. Later on I will handle each and every configuration and try to explain what it does, what are the configurable parameters it has and which known tweaks/patches use it.
- Resources - This directory is also most valuable to us. It contain all the images/icons/rsc files that the phone themes consist of. If we ever want to add/remove/change any theme and/or change any graphics related issues, this is the place to look for it.
- Sys - The sys directory is a very important one. This directory contains all the OS binaries. That means that all exe and dll files are located under this directory. The Sub-directories under the Sys directory are bin (which actually contains the binary OS files, and the Install ,Uninstall directories. Respectively, the Install/Uninstall directories like a registry mechanism. It holds the install and uninstall information.
- System - This one contains the following sub-directories: Apps, data,dmgr,temp
- The Apps directory holds ,as it's name implies, applications related data.
- The data directory contain OS related data such as BlueTooth/headset/speakers parameters.
- dmgr - stands for data manager. data manager handle downloads.
- temp - as it implies, it holds temporary OS files.
- Videos - A directory that contains user made camera videos. Bear in mind that Moded CFW will look for images files under this directory. Official one don't have this directory at all!