Research: My research interests include education, social stratification, family and social demography in cross-national comparative perspective, with focus on Korea and other East Asian countries
Park, Hyunjoon. 2013. Re-Evaluating Education in Japan and Korea: De-mystifying Stereotypes. Routledge.
Hannum, Emily, Hyunjoon Park, and Yuko Butler (Eds). 2010. Globalization, Changing Demographics, and Educational Challenges in East Asia (Research in Sociology of Education, Vol 17). Emerald.
Park, Hyunjoon and Kyung-keun Kim (Eds). Korean Education in Changing Economic and Demographic Contexts (under contract).
Articles/Book Chapters (* denotes refereed publication)
* Park, Hyunjoon and James M. Raymo (Equal contribution). (Forthcoming). "Divorce in Korea: Trends and Educational Differentials" Journal of Marriage and Family.
* Park, Hyunjoon and Pearl Kyei. 2011. "Literacy Gaps by Educational Attainment: A Cross-National Analysis." Social Forces 89: 879-904.
* Park, Hyunjoon, Soo-yong Byun, and Kyung-keun Kim. 2011. "Parental Involvement and Students'
Cognitive Outcomes in Korea: Focusing on Private Tutoring." Sociology of Education 84: 3-22.
* Park, Hyunjoon and Pearl Kyei. 2010. "School Segregation and the Achievement Gap between Immigrant and Native Students: A Comparative Study of 18 Countries." Sociological Theory and Methods 25: 207-228.
* Kim, Kuentae and Hyunjoon Park. 2010. "Family Succession though Adoption in the Chosun Dynasty." The History of the Family 15: 443-452.
* Creighton, Mathew and Hyunjoon Park. 2010. "Closing the Gender Gap: Six Decades of Reform in Mexican Education." Comparative Education Review 54: 513-537.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2010. "The Stability of Self-Employment: A Comparison between Japan and Korea." International Sociology 25: 98-122.
* Buchmann, Claudia and Hyunjoon Park. 2009. "Stratification and Formation of Expectations in Highly-Differentiated Educational Systems." Research in Social Stratification and Mobility 27: 245-267.
* Creighton, Mathew, Hyunjoon Park, and Graciela Teruel. 2009. "The Role of Migration and Single Parenthood in Upper-Secondary Education in Mexico." Journal of Marriage and Family 71:1325-1339.
* Smith, Jeroen and Hyunjoon Park. 2009. "Five Decades of Educational Assortative Mating in Ten East Asian Societies." Social Forces 88: 227-256.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2008. “Home Literacy Environments and Children’s
Reading Performance: A Comparative Study of 25 Countries.” Educational
Research and Evaluation 14: 489-505.
* Park, Hyunjoon and Sangkuk Lee. 2008. “A Survey of Data Sources for Studies of Family and Population in Korean History.” The History of the Family 13: 258-267.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2008. “Effects of Single
Parenthood on Educational Aspiration and Student
Disengagement in Korea.” Demographic Research 18: 377-408.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2008. “Public Policy and the Effect of Sibship Size on Educational Achievement: A Comparative Study of 20 Countries” Social Science Research 37: 874-887.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2008. “The Varied Educational Effects of Parent-Child Communication: A Comparative Study of Fourteen Countries.” Comparative Education Review 52: 219-243.
* Lee, Sangkuk and Hyunjoon Park. 2008. “Marriage, Social Status, and Family Succession in the Medieval Korea (13c-15c).” Journal of Family History 33: 123-138.
Park, Hyunjoon and Jongchun Cha. 2008 “Trends in Intergenerational Social Mobility across Four Cohorts in South Korea.” In Social Stratification and Social Mobility in Late-Industrializing Countries, edited by Hiroshi Ishida. The 2005 SSM Research Series, Volume 14. Sendai, Japan: The 2005 SSM Research Committee.
* Sandefur, Gary and Hyunjoon Park. 2007. “Educational Expansion and Changes in Occupational Returns to Education in Korea.” Research in Social Stratification and Mobility 25: 306-322.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2007. “Single-Parenthood and Children’s Reading Performance in Asia.” Journal of Marriage and Family 69: 863-877.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2007. “Inequality of Educational Opportunity in Korea: Gender, Socioeconomic Background, and Family Structure.”International Journal of Human Right 11: 179-197.
Park, Hyunjoon. 2007. “South Korea: Educational Expansion and Inequality of Opportunity for Higher Education.” Pp. 87-112 in Y. Shavit, R. Arum, and A. Gamoran (eds.), Stratification in Higher Education: A Comparative Study. Stanford University Press.
* Park, Hyunjoon . 2006. “Parental Involvement and Educational Outcomes: The Significance of Institutional Arrangements of Educational System.” International Perspectives on Education and Society Vo. 7: 187-208.
* Park, Hyunjoon and Gary D. Sandefur. 2006. "Families, Schools, and Reading in Asia and Latin America" Research in Sociology of Education 15: 133-162.
* Park, Hyunjoon and Jeroen Smith. 2005. “Educational Assortative Mating in South Korea: Trends 1930-1998.” Research in Social Stratification and Mobility 23: 103-127.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2005. “Age and Self-Rated Health in Korea.” Social Forces 83: 1165-1182.
* Park, Hyunjoon and Gary D. Sandefur. 2005. “Transition to Adulthood in Japan and Korea: An Overview.” Sociological Studies of Children and YouthVol. 10, 43-76.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2004. “Intergenerational Social Mobility among Korean Men in Comparative Perspective.” Research in Social Stratification and Mobility 20: 227-253.
* Park, Hyunjoon. 2004. “Educational Expansion and Inequality in Korea.” Research in Sociology of
Sandefur, Gary D., Jennifer Eggerling-Boeck, and Hyunjoon Park. 2004. “Off to a Good Start? Post-Secondary Education and the Early Transition to Adulthood.” R. Settersten, R. A., Jr., Frank F. Furstenberg Jr, and R. G. Rumbaut (eds.), On the Frontier of Adulthood: Theory, Research, and Public Policy. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.
Hyunjoon and Gary D. Sandefur. 2003. “Racial/Ethnic Differences in
Voluntary and Involuntary Job Mobility among Young Men.”
Social Science Research 32: 347-375.