The Hunter Archaeological Society studies and reports on the archaeology, history and architecture of South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire. The Society was founded in 1912 by a group of Sheffield professionals (solicitors, architects and the like), and named in recognition of the work of antiquarian Joseph Hunter in researching and recording the history of the region. The Hunter Collections of books, maps and other papers are held both in Sheffield Central Library and Sheffield Archives (as well as the British Library).
Today, the Society runs a varied programme of talks held through the winter in Sheffield, and visits to excavations and sites of interest, as well as publishing papers in its Transactions. There are opportunities to help with site monitoring and finds processing. The Society also plays a role in sharing information of archaeological interest, networking with the heritage community and in responding to initiatives and consultations.
Up to 2015 there was also a Field Research Section, established in 1949 to compile a sites and monuments record (the foundation for the present Historic Environment Record or HER) and later also to undertake site monitoring, field work and excavations in South Yorkshire and North Derbyshire.