Flourless Chocolate Cake Layer:
7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, finely chopped
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs, separated
pinch of salt
1/3 cup light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Generously grease the sides and base of a heart shaped springform pan with butter.
- Melt chocolate and butter in a double boiler set over low heat.
- Allow to cool for 5 minutes, then stir in vanilla and egg yolks.
- Whisk egg whites and salt until foam forms.
- Sprinkle in about 1/2 of the brown sugar and whisk until combined.
- Add the rest of the brown sugar and whisk to soft peaks.
- Fold whipped egg whites into the chocolate.
- Pour batter into springform pan and bake for 15-18 minutes until cake has risen, and springs back when touched in the center.
- Cool completely for one hour. The cake will fall as it cools.
Chocolate Mousse Layer:
1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
3 tablespoons water
3 tablespoons sugar
3 egg yolks, room temperature
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, melted
- Whisk whipping cream to soft peaks. Set aside.
- Pour water and sugar in a small saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat.
- Whisk egg yolks in a medium bowl.
- Slowly drizzle the hot sugar syrup (water and sugar) into the eggs, whisking continuously.
- Stir into melted chocolate.
- Fold whipped cream into chocolate until light and fluffy.
- Spread evenly over flourless chocolate cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes.
White Chocolate Cherry Mousse Layer:
3/4 teaspoon powdered gelatin
1 tablespoon cold water
1 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream, divided
6 ounces white chocolate, finely chopped
1/2 cup - 1 cup finely chopped maraschino cherries
- Sprinkle gelatin over water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Bring 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream just to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in gelatin until dissolved.
- Pour over white chocolate. Let sit one minute, then stir until melted.
- Whisk remaining 1 cups heavy whipping cream to stiff peaks.
- Fold whipped cream into white chocolate.
- Fold maraschino cherries into white chocolate mousse, leaving a few to sprinkle on top of the cake.
- Spread evenly over chocolate mousse layer.
- Refrigerate cake for at least 2 hours before serving.