Visit us on Facebook!
Welcome to the Historical Society of Berkeley Heights, established in 1975. We are currently headquartered at the Littell-Lord Farmhouse in Berkeley Heights, New Jersey.
The township of Berkeley Heights bought the 18-acre farmstead in 1975. The site consisted of the Farmhouse, dating from about 1760; a second Gothic-style house, known as the "Grandmother House," built in the mid-19th century; a barn, corral, spring house and other out-buildings; and a pond. The Society petitioned the township committee to save the two houses from being torn down. An agreement was made between the two parties by which the Society was allowed to restore the older farmhouse and maintain it as a museum for the town, while the other house would be rented by the township.
The entire Farmstead was listed on the New Jersey Register of Historic Places in 1978 and National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Members of the Historical Society are working to preserve and catalog items in our collection.
Please continue to check our Collections page for updates.
Please share your photos with us!
The Historical Society would like to thank the Scouts of Troops 68 and 368 for their recent work with the Society. Three Eagle Scout projects were completed in 2014: the fence around the farmer's garden was repaired and repainted, and the garden was replanted; the summer kitchen was cleaned out, repaired and repainted; and a historical tour of Berkeley Heights was designed.
Please click this link for a copy of the brochure of the tour, and look for signs around town.