Not these treats

From a Veterinarian by a Veterinarian

HorseFeathers Veterinary Service, PLLC 

We all like to give our dogs treats.  Usually, we consider and the dog considers that the best treat is exactly what Mom and Dad are eating, but no.  Dogs are  different animals that digest foot items differently.

Most recently crossing my desk was:

  Written by:
Laurinda Morris, DVM

  This week I had the first case in history of raisin toxicity ever seen at MedVet.  My
patient was a 56-pound, 5 yr old male
neutered lab mix that ate half a canister of raisins sometime between 7:30 AM and 4:30 PM on Tuesday.  He started with vomiting, diarrhea and shaking about 1AM on Wednesday but the owner didn't call my emergency service until 7AM.

I had heard somewhere about raisins AND
grapes causing acute Renal failure but
hadn't seen any formal paper on the subject.
We had her bring the dog in immediately. In the meantime, I called the ER service at
MedVet, and the doctor there was like me -
had heard something about it, but .
Anyway, we contacted the ASPCA National
Animal Poison Control Center and they said
to give IV fluids at 1 & 1/2 times maintenance and watch the kidney values for the next 48-72 hours.
The dog's BUN (blood urea nitrogen level)
was already at 32 (normal less than 27) and creatinine over 5 (1.9 is the high end of normal).  Both are monitors of kidney
function in the bloodstream.  We placed an
IV catheter and started the fluids.
Rechecked the renal values at 5 PM and the BUN was over 40 and creatinine over 7 with no urine production after a liter of fluids.  At the point I felt the dog was in acute renal failure and sent him on to MedVet for a urinary catheter to monitor urine output overnight as well as overnight care.
He started vomiting again overnight at
MedVet and his renal values have
continued to increase daily.  He produced
urine when given lasix as a diuretic. He was on 3 different anti-vomiting medications and they still couldn't control his vomiting. Today his urine output decreased again, his BUN was over 120, his creatinine was at 10, his phosphorus was very elevated and his blood pressure, which had been staying around150, skyrocketed to 220 ... He continued to vomit and the owners elected to Euthanize.

This is a very sad case - great dog, great
owners who had no idea raisins could be a
toxin. Please alert everyone you know who
has a dog of this very serious risk.

Poison control said as few as 7 raisins or
grapes could be toxic.  Many people I know
give their dogs grapes or raisins as treats
including our ex-handler's.  Any exposure
should give rise to immediate concern.

Onions, chocolate, cocoa and macadamia
nuts can be fatal, too.

 Even if you don't have a dog, you might
 have friends who do. This is worth passing
 on to them.