Gethsemane Financial Manager Opening
We currently have an opening in the financial manager position at Gethsemane. This is a 25 hr week position that manages all of the financial accounting and bookkeeping for our congregation. If you know someone who might be interested please invite them to contact Pr. John.
Position Title: Facility Manager/Custodian
If interested, contact Pastor John and/or send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Position Classification: Full Time/Salaried
Reports To: Senior Pastor
Positions Supervised: Maintenance Assistant; Maintenance Volunteers; Contract Personnel
The Facility Manager has primary responsibility for the care, maintenance, and supervision of the physical properties of the church.
- 2-3 years’ experience in the maintenance field
- Experience with use of hand and power tools
- Familiarity with floor care and related equipment
- Experience in Customer Service/People Relations
- Current Minnesota driver’s license
- Aptitude for learning and using computer software
- Ability to prioritize and organize tasks
- Ability to read and interpret safety rules and operating/maintenance manuals
- Ability to write simple reports
- Adheres to Gethsemane administrative and personnel policies and procedures.
- Participates in staff meetings as directed.
- Respects confidentiality.
- Respects Lutheran theology and the mission of Gethsemane Lutheran Church.
- Serves as a partner in ministry in programs conducted by other staff.
- Positively represents Gethsemane to staff, members, and guests.
- Become proficient in using ACS computer software and Facility Scheduler in your work.
- Primary responsibility for on-site maintenance and custodial service including set-up and take down for daily events. Occasional major events during off hours (Fundraisers/Funerals/Weddings).
- Monitors and performs maintenance on church boilers and HVAC System.
- Provides for the security of the building, grounds, vehicles, and other equipment.
- Coordinating the lock up and securing of the build; 3-4 nights a week (locking doors and prep building for the next day)
- Performs minor repairs of the facility and equipment or contracts the work when necessary.
- Maintains or provides for the maintenance of the grounds year round including snow shoveling and lawn care.
- Works one weekend a month in relief of the part time custodian (setups needed, and Sunday am)
- Notifies the Senior Pastor of equipment problems and needs.
- Manages the maintenance and upkeep of the congregation’s vehicles.
- Supervises part-time custodian cleaning duties
- Disposes of waste and trash including transporting recyclable cans, bottles, and paper to collection locations.
- Cleans rooms, hallways, lobbies, restrooms, elevators, stairways, sanctuary, offices, lounges and work areas.
- Sweeps, scrubs, waxes, and polishes floors, walls, and patios with industrial scrubbers, hand mops, brooms, and buffing machines as needed.
- Contracts or cleans rugs, carpets, and upholstered furniture with vacuum cleaners and attachments, carpet shampooers, and extractors.
- Washes walls, ceilings, woodwork, doors, sills, and windows both inside and outside.
- Completes an annual report of the faculties, its needs, and updates for the congregation.
- Works with staff on developing an annual congregational schedule of building use.
- Assists the Senior Pastor in developing an annual congregational budget.
- Monitors the budget of areas for which he/she has fiscal responsibility, purchasing supplies for the building maintenance and cleaning needs.
- Submits for processing purchase orders and check requests for the area for which he/she has
- fiscal responsibility.
- Manages and maintains an inventory of physical properties
- Performs ongoing assessment of the physical plant to anticipate needed maintenance, reporting findings to the Senior Pastor and church council.
- Obtains, evaluates and recommends bids for building and grounds projects as needed.
- Works with staff to update and review the Building Use Policy.
- Administers maintenance contracts.
- Maintains operating and maintenance manuals and building plans and documents.
- Maintains operational permits for the facility including elevators, fire alarm system, boiler inspection, etc.
- Interviews, supervises, mentors, and reviews staff reporting to him/her.
- Recruits building and grounds volunteers and directs their work.
- Monitors and evaluates the performance of contract personnel, noting specific concerns to the Senior Pastor.
We are looking for a mature, passionate, creative, organized individual with strong communication skills to join our ministry team. The primary focus of this position will be oversight of the confirmation program (7th-9th grade) with additional focus on senior high students and families. A strong commitment to Christian faith and Lutheran theology are essential.
You will be joining a dynamic staff and walking alongside a core group of dedicated and competent volunteers. Gethsemane Lutheran Church is a mid-size congregation in Hopkins, MN with a strong commitment to faith development, community outreach and fellowship activities.
Interested candidates can submit a resume and cover letter to Pastor Sarah Moat at email@example.com. The position will be open until filled.
Director of Confirmation and Youth Ministry
Position Classification: Full Time/Salaried
Reports To: Associate Pastor
Positions Supervised: None
- College degree with related youth ministry experience
- Understands Lutheran theology
- Values collegiality and is able to work in team ministry
- Cares for, understands, and relates well with youth and their families
- Possesses a secure sense of self
- Able to prioritize tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Engaging as a teacher, trainer, and leader
- Adept at delegation and volunteer involvement
The Director of Confirmation and Youth Ministry is a faith-centered person of prayer who is committed to Christ, has an understanding of his/her own beliefs, and is committed to outreach and justice. This person exhibits a mature faith through an ability to articulate and grow in that faith. The individual possesses a conviction of personal calling to ministry with youth and families and displays visible enthusiasm for this ministry. She/he has a relational approach with youth and their families.
The Director of Confirmation and Youth Ministry is responsible for developing and implementing a comprehensive relational ministry to assist youth in deepening their faith and commitment to Christ and in solidifying their values. The primary focus of this position is confirmation through high school youth and their families, which includes working in partnership with Children’s and Family ministries.
- Oversee administration of confirmation program, sharing leadership of classes and events with pastors
- Develops, selects and/or writes and evaluates curricula and materials
- Maintains an adequate supply of education materials and related supplies
- Recruits, trains, and supervises confirmation small group guides and mentors
- Leads youth Sunday forums/faith centered small groups
- Leads a regular Bible study/faith exploration group for senior high students
General Youth Ministry Tasks
- Empower and equip volunteers to carry out and articulate the vision, direction, and long-range goals of the youth ministry program
- Work alongside volunteers to plan, implement, and oversee ministry programs that include learning, service, relationships, worship, and fundraising
- Nurture young people in their spiritual lives through prayer, Bible study, mission, and faith exploration and application
- Involve youth in Christian service and outreach opportunities
- Provide opportunities for mission trips, retreats, camp experiences, and outreach activities
- Manage the Confirmation/Youth Ministry budget and submit all necessary paperwork
- Maintain records and files for events, including registration and financial information
- Provide spiritual care for young people and their families and provide referrals as necessary
- Seek opportunities for and encourage youth and their families to participate in worship
- Follow through on policies and procedures for all areas of youth ministry
- Revitalize and strengthen high school ministry
- Serves as liaison to the Children/Youth/Family Oversight Team.
- Coordinates the Youth Ministry Team and Gethsemane Youth Council, as well as participates as a resource to other ministry teams
- Respect Lutheran theology and the mission of Gethsemane Lutheran Church
- Positively represent Gethsemane to staff, members, guests and community members
- Participate in staff meetings as requested
- Respect confidentiality
- Serve as a partner in ministry programs conducted by other staff
- Provide clear, relevant, and intentional communication regarding ministry opportunities
- Adhere to Gethsemane Lutheran Church administrative and personnel policies and procedures
- Perform other tasks as requested
- Work with staff to develop annual ministry plan in alignment with the overall congregational plan.