Racing News 12th & 13 May 2014

Post date: May 16, 2014 8:26:51 AM

Please find attached the latest racing results for this week from Keith Kendall

Monday night started out with a good stiff Westerly wind gusting up around 20 knots at times. This created quite a bit of trepidation amongst the competitors but after some persuasion they all managed to launch and head for the start line. Well, not all of them! Dave Bennett, on his first outing this year, decided to test his buoyancy aid and capsized just in line with the first row of moorings! He soon recovered and joined the rest of the fleet. Owing to engine problems with the safety boat we were, once again, restricted to one boat, Morki, and so we stayed closed to the club. A temporary mark was laid a short way down river off Cattedown Wharf, to be rounded to starboard and then a quick run up to A mark, off Yachthaven Quay. From there it was a hard beat back down to the starboard hand buoy off the club, to port and then round a second temporary mark adjacent to Bostons yard and back across the line. Seven boats started and had a good hard sail. Martin Kimber, refreshed by his luxury cruise, quickly established a lead which he held onto throughout the race. It seems that the course and the wind favoured the single handers as second and third places were both taken by the Lasers of Simon Kendall and Adam Kimber respectively. Dave Bennett recovered from his earlier dunking to take fourth place on handicap. It was obviously not the night to sail a Lark as the two taking part were really struggling. Mark Prue and Ben Evans held on to take 5th place followed by Levy Leverson and Lucy Romney in 6th. Tina sailed a brave race and managed to stay upright to take 7th. Thanks to Steve and Paul for crewing Morki and to Mark and Sara who turned out ready to help as well.

Tuesday night was also blowing hard with Northwesterly wind speeds of 22 knots gusting to 26 at times (as recorded by Rame Head NCI). The course set was a good sail around the Sound starting with Dunstone, F Buoy, Melampus, NW Winter and finally W Mallard, all to starboard. The windy conditions led to most of the seven boat starting out with reefed mains and Genoas.

By the end of the first round the wind had dropped a little which allowed the gennies to be unrolled fully. Mark and crew in Rozemma had managed to work their way through the fleet to establish their lead by this time and disappear into the distance. Behind them there was a close battle underway for the remaining places. Pete Jenkins managed to creep ahead of the others to finish second, closely followed by Martin in D'Accord. It was very close between Steve Oliver in Allouette and myself in Mariposa. I reckon that if I had had a couple more minutes I could have tacked and crossed ahead of Steve before the time limit! It was not to be and Steve just managed to end up closer to Melampus as the clock struck 8. Chris was struggling in Whiffler being single-handed, in the gusty conditions and only managed sixth place. Steve Moody and crew brought up the rear to finish seventh.

All said and done it was a good evenings sailing with a good bit of wind and an interesting, testing course.

Don't forget our Dinghy Day this Sunday. Please be at the club by around 09.30 and we will sort out where we are going. The forecast, at the moment, is indicating a good SSW'ly wind around force 3 - 4 so we should be ok. Who knows what the day will bring so come along and join in the fun!