I’m interested in becoming a member. What do I do next?
- Contact us via E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know. We will give you more information about the Ensemble, including the best date to come to our rehearsals.
Where and when do you rehearse?
We rehearse every Tuesday night from 7:00 to 9:00 pm at the Sacred Hearts Academy band room (see below for directions). As we occasionally rehearse elsewhere, be sure to do the contact specified above to be sure we will be there on the night you wish to attend.
Do I need to audition?
- Adult members (over 18 years old) do not need to formally audition to join the Ensemble. However, it is expected that new members should be willing and able to meet the standards necessary to play the level of music typically performed by the Ensemble.
- Student members (high school) who meet certain requirements may be allowed to participate with the Ensemble primarily during the summer when school is not in session.
Do I need to have my own instrument?
- Other than a few small percussion items, the Ensemble does not own any instruments. With the exception of larger percussion equipment that we use with the approval of the host school, members are expected to provide their own instrument.
How much does it cost?
Each member is asked to contribute $2 per rehearsal to help defray the cost of renting the band room, a nominal fee for several hours of enjoyment each week. However, no one will be denied membership if they cannot afford to pay. Our goal is to make music, not money!
What is the attendance policy?
- The Ensemble gives performances and is not merely a reading group. The conductor works hard to achieve a particular blend and balance in the sound that is adversely affected when someone is absent. It is expected that ALL members be present at ALL rehearsals. However, allowances are made due to the nature of our organization. All efforts are made to accommodate the various time commitments of our members, and no one is penalized for non-attendance, as long as a reasonable effort is made to be there.
Can I take the music home to practice?
- Yes. However, any member who takes home music will be responsible for its safe return at our next rehearsal, even if they cannot be there. Members will be required to pay for any damaged / lost music. Repeated disregard for music / property will result in loss of privileges or expulsion.
Directions: Rehearsal site for the Honolulu Wind Ensemble
Sacred Hearts Academy
3253 Waialae Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96816
- If you are coming from the west (Ewa) take the H-1 until you get to the 6th Avenue off ramp. Take the exit and turn LEFT and get into the middle lane. Go through the intersection at 6th Avenue and Harding and proceed to the next intersection. At the intersection, make a LEFT turn onto Waialae Ave. Just before the next intersection, turn left into the parking lot. You are now in the front parking lot.
- If you are coming from the east (Koko Head) you really should know where this is.
- Landmarks: 6th Ave is between Sacred Hearts and St Patrick's. Sacred Hearts is also bordered by the Kaimuki Shopping Center and Is across the street from Harry's Music Store and Palolo McDonald's.