1000 Hilltop Circle,
Baltimore, MD 21250
Tel: (410) 455-2620
Fax: (410) 455-1073
Email: gangopad AT umbc DOT edu
My research interest are in the areas of databases and data mining. My current research interests include privacy preserving data mining, spatio-temporal data mining, and data mining for health informatics.
The following are the courses that I have taught in the last one year or so. All of these are graduate courses.
- Introduction to Data Science.
- Introduction to Data Mining.
I have taught the courses below both at the undergraduate and graduate levels. I am not teaching these courses currently.
- Computational Methods in IS Research.
- Advanced database projects
- Data mining and warehousing
- Database Management Systems.
- Electronic commerce
I have supervised various independent studies, primarily to MS and PhD students. I have also supervised undergraduate independent studies from time to time.
I am currently supervising one MS theses.PhD dissertations:
I have supervised eleven completed doctoral dissertations (two of them are co-mentored with another faculty). I am (and have been in the past) on several other doctoral dissertation committees mostly in Information Systems and some in Computer Science.
PhD Student news:
Pictures of graduated PhD students
- Amir Karami joins the University of South Carolina as Assistant Professor after completing his PhD in August 2015. Congratulations Dr. Karami.
- Shaojian Zhu defends his PhD dissertation in April 2014. Shaojian is a software developer at Google.
- Xin Li joins Georgetown University as Assistant Professor after completing his PhD in 2011. Congratulations Dr. Li.
- Madhu Ahluwalia joins Harris Corp after completing her PhD in 2011. Congratulations Dr. Ahluwalia.
- Madhushree Banerjee joins Georgia Gwinnett College after completing her PhD in 2011.
- Michael P. McGuire joins Towson University as Assistant Professor after completing his PhD in 2010. Congratulations, Dr. McGuire.
- Pimwadee Chaovalit joins NSTDA, Thailand after completinh her PhD in 2009. Congratulations Dr. Chaovalit.
- Shibnath Mukherjee joins Microsoft India after completing his PhD in 2007. Congratulations Dr. Mukherjee.
- Navin Kumar joins Advisory Board Company after completing is PhD in 2006. Congratulations Dr. Kumar.
- Zhensen Hung joins FDA after completing his PhD in 2004. Congratulations Dr. Huang.
- Iftikhar Sikder joins Cleveland State University after completing his PhD in 2003. Congratulations Dr. Sikder.
- Iftikhar Sikder (now at CSU)
- Zhensen (Sam) Huang graduation
- Navin Kumar
- Shibnath Mukherjee
- Pim Chaovalit graduation
- Mike McGuire graduation
- Madhu Ahluwalia graduation
- Madhushri Banerjee (co-mentored with Zhiyuan Chen) graduation
- Xin Li
- Shaojian Zhu
(I missed the graduation.)
- Amir Karami (Graduation picture coming).
- Rose Yesha.
Recent Student publications:
- Amir Karami featured about his research.
- Madhu Ahluwalia's paper gets accepted in the IEEE Transactions on Services Computing.
- Rose Yesha presents at the ACM BCB workshop on Computational Health Science.
- Rose Yesha's paper published in proceedings of the IEEE/ACM HIBIBI 2015/ASONAM 2015 conference.
- Song Chen presents a paper in 2013 IEEE International Conference on Healthcare Informatics.
- Madhusri Banerjee publishes a paper in Distributed and Parallel Databases.
- Ibrahim Toure has a paper accepted in IEEE HST on A Method for Analyzing Terrorist Attacks.
- Song Chen publishes a paper in ICISTM 2012 on Detecting Healthcare Fraud through Patient Sharing Schemes.
- Ali Azari publishes a paper in iConference '12 on Clustered Service Rank in Support of Web Service Discovery .
- Matthew Molek has a paper in INCoS-2012on A Methodology for Ontology Evaluation using Topic Models .
- Mike McGuire has a paper in the 19th ACM SIGSPATIAL GIS 2011 on Characterizing Sensor Datasets with Multi-Granular Spatio-Temporal Intervals.
- Syed Mohammadi and Revathi Palanisamy publish a paper in Statistical Analysis and Data Mining, 4:3, 276-300, 2011.
- Pim Chaovalit publishes a paper in ACM Computing Surveys, 43:2, 1-37, 2011.
- Yu Fu publishes a paper in the ACM Transactions on Management Information Systems, 1:1, 1-20, December, 2010.
- Madhu Ahluwalia publishes a paper in ACM SAC 2011.
- Dhrubajyoti Mondal published a paper in Proceedings of the 1st ACM International Health Informatics Symposium (IHI 2010), 386-390.
- Madhushree Banerjee presented a paper in SKM 2010.