Church History




Six families meeting and praying in each other’s homes organized the church on September 17, 1939. The spiritual advisor was Rev. A.H. Lange, Pastor of Zion Lutheran Church in Summit, Illinois. The first charter members were: George Habel; Edward Hartfield; Edward Krueger; Edwin Nueman; Carl Katenhausen and Carl Schneider On September 1, 1940 our first pastor, Rev. Paul Huxhold, assumed his duties. Service attendance was 14 adults and 12 children. Total money collected was $2.34. 
    September 8, 1940 the first announcement was made of the church to be built at Harlem Avenue and 73rd Street Our first church was dedicated on October 27, 1940 – it was 20’ wide and 24’ long. The total cost was $1,500. People attending services that day totaled 144. In September of 1943 a Christian day school opened at Holy Trinity. Tragically, in February of 1944 a fire gutted the school and church. The Christian day school was moved to Nottingham Park Fire House at 73rd and Nottingham. With God’s help, in March 1944 a rebuilding program started, which included plans to make the church larger and add other rooms. 

   On August 10, 1947 the first parsonage was purchased at 73rd and Nottingham from Mr. & Mrs. H. Krueger – the total cost was $5,000.Land was purchased for a new church at 87th and Sayre on October 20, 1957 for a cost of $6,000. On December 14, 1958, on an extremely cold and blustery day, the groundbreaking was held for the new church. March 22, 1959 a new Sunday School was started at Maddock Elementary School on 83rd and Sayre. The cornerstone was laid at the new church on May 3, 1959 – Rev. H. Brauer conducted services. The liturgist was Prof. R. Schroeder. Rev. Linn Haitz placed historical documents, records, etc. into the cornerstone. On May 17, 1959 the voting members asked Rev. Haitz, who had been our vicar for the previous year, to remain for another year and he agreed. 
     In July 5, 1959 . On the 26th of that month, pledges were being taken from church members for new pews. Seventeen pews were pledged on the first day at a cost of $150.00 per pew. On October 11, 1959 the dedication of the new church was held. Many tears were shed that day at the 9:00 a.m. closing service at the old church. At 10:00 a.m. the first service was held at the new church, officiated by Prof. Robert E. Schroeder. Dedicatory vespers were held at 3:00 p.m. at which the Messiah choir sang and Rev. H.E. Brauer preached. Rev. T.F. Nickel, the 1st Vice President of the Northern Illinois District, preached at evening vespers, accompanied with music by Luther High School. Just under 900 people attended these services on a beautiful day. The first new officers of the congregation were elected at the new church on December 20, 1959: Richard Madal, President; Stanley Steeves, Vice-President; Harold Fauser, Secretary; W. Godfrey, Auditor; W. Dennis and E. Dahl, Elders; K. Blum, D. Cupp and C. Hansen, Trustees.
     The old church building on 73rd and Harlem was sold in January 1960. In February 1960 five north lots were purchased for future church expansion at a cost of $5,000. And in September 1960 we purchased a parsonage at 8614 S. Nottingham. 
     On October 14, 1985 we celebrated the 25th anniversary of the church building. From 1985 until the present we have enhanced the building with a steeple, a new addition giving us a combination Fellowship Hall/Sunday School room, a new parking lot, and new lighting and sound systems. 
     October 13, 1991 the celebration of the 50th anniversary of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church was held. The guest pastor was Rev. Robert Stockman who served at Holy Trinity from 1967 thru 1983. 


Comments