We are delighted to hold weddings here at Holy Trinity. Getting married is one of the biggest events of your life and it is a great opportunity to involve God in making this commitment and to ask for His blessing on your future together. Legally, if you wish to be married here, one of you must normally live in the parish. If you’re not sure whether you live in the parish please check with us. Following recent changes to the regulations, you may however be able to be married here, despite living outside the parish, if:
• one of you was baptised or prepared for confirmation here;
• one of you has ever lived in the parish for six months or more;
• one of you has at any time regularly attended public worship here for six months or more;
• one of your parents has lived in the parish for six months or more in your lifetime;
• one of your parents has regularly attended public worship here for six months or more in your lifetime;
• your parents or grandparents were married here.
In any of these cases, you would need to provide documentary evidence to show that you qualify to be married here. (We can help from our registers where applicable).
If none of these circumstances apply, the only other way to qualify for marriage at the church is if your name is on the church Electoral Roll. To be placed on the Roll you need to be a member of the church – the legal requirement is that you have been baptised and have worshipped regularly at Holy Trinity for at least 6 months.
To allow time for calling the banns or obtaining the Licence (see below) you would need to start attending regularly at least 8 months before your wedding day, but it is better if you start much sooner. Otherwise if something happened to prevent you attending for a period you would not be entitled to go on the Electoral Roll and would then not legally be allowed to be married here.
If either of you has been divorced, it may still be possible for you to be married in the church, but you will need to discuss your circumstances with the Vicar. He can advise you further on the procedure.
To explore further the possibility of getting married here at Holy Trinity and to receive a Wedding Guide booklet, please contact us.