History

Holy Trinity Haddenham

Haddenham derives its name from 'Haeda's homestead'. In 673 it was part of Queen Ethelreda's marriage endowment. A church has stood on the the hill since then as Ovin, Etheldreda's minister and steward, had close connections with the village. The present building is late thirteenth and fourteenth century, but with major a restoration dating to 1876 by R R Rowe. The structure is rubblestone and limestone ashlar and dressed limestone with leaded roofs and end parapets with nineteenth century gable crosses.

Click below for more information


                                         Photo of nave - Link to interior history                   Photo of exterior - link to exterior history
                                               Building Interior                                           Building Exterior
                            
                                          Photo of memorial - Link to memorials                      Photo of Ovin's cross - link to general history
                                                    Memorials                                       General History


References

N Pevsner, Buildings of Cambs and Isle of Ely, p399

Cambridge County Council Historic Building Record 005750 1952

 
 
Comments