- 1 Tbps. olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 c. chicken or vegetable broth (vegetarian version)
- 1/2 lb vermicelli, broken into 2 inch pieces
- 1 bunch spinach, stemmed
- 1 Tbsp. unsalted butter/margarine
- 4 eggs
- hot sauce, such as Sriracha (optional but recommended)
- In a large saucepan, warm the oil over medium-high heat. Add the
onion and garlic and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the
broth and bring to a boil. Add vermicelli, return to a boil, and cook,
stirring occasionally for 4 minutes. Add the spinach and stir through
just until it is wilted about 2 minutes. Reduce the heat to low to keep
soup warm while you prepare the eggs.
- In a nonstick frying pan, melt butter over medium heat. Fry each egg until it is set but the yolk is still runny, 5-6 minutes.
Ladle the soup into 4 bowls and top each with a fried egg. Add in desired amount of hot sauce and serve.