Parish Links‎ > ‎

Parish History

Holy Angels
Holy Guardian Angels was established by order of Bishop DeGoesbriand as a French National Parish. The official boundaries are comprised of the city and town of St. Albans serving all in those areas who are of French descent.

The first resident pastor, Fr. George N. Caissy, served from January 31, 1872 until 1885. He died November 10, 1888, and is buried beneath the church, along with his successor, Fr. Joseph Daignault, who died on March 14, 1894.

Holy Guardian Angels Church was consecrated in 1887. Major renovations in 1985 carefully preserved the art and features of the original church. An organ crafted by Canadian artisans and built with the church is now one of only three such instruments remaining in New England. A fire in 1918 destroyed the steeple; it was replaced in 2000.

Sisters of Holy Cross arrived in 1889, and began a convent school with six teachers. In 1899, a fine school was constructed which was staffed by thirty sisters. They taught there and in a modern school building, added in 1951, until the school closed in 1976. The new school building now serves as a parish center.

Mt. Calvary Cemetery, several blocks north of the church, has been in use since 1894. A governing association was formed in 1921.

In 1888, the Society of St. Anne was established for women of the parish. For over a hundred years they have provided services in various areas. During the existence of the school, the “Mothers Club” which originated in 1934 and was re-established in 1944, worked diligently to assist in meeting education costs.

Our Lady of the Lake Church at St. Albans Bay was built in 1904 as a parish church, with Fairfax as a mission. In 1917, it became a mission of Holy Angels until 1950 when it was once again made an independent parish. The rectory at Our Lady of the Lake was built in 1905. The parish closed in October of 1993. Many of those parishioners joined Holy Angels.

Today, the parish is comprised of over 1300 families. New development and building in the St. Albans area during recent years has also resulted in the growth of Holy Angels.


Previous
Pastors of Holy Angels

Rev. George N. Caissy

1872-1886

Rev. Joseph Daignault

1885-1894

Rev. Charles J. Prevost

1894-1902

Rev. M. Cleopas Trottier

1902-1906

Rev. Louis T. Desrochers

1906-1942

Rev. Peter Boivin

1942-1946

Rev. Arthur J. LeVeer

1946-1963

Rev. Msgr. Walter Charland

1963-1977

Rev. Raymond Giroux

1977-1986

Rev. Edward F. Moore

1986-1992

Rev. Maurice J. Roy

1992-current