6415 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
| map |
1913 after a move and a renaming. The business was formerly the Idle Hour at 6525
Hollywood Blvd. The move was into a new storefront building just east
of the current Warner/Pacific Hollywood 1-2-3. In the 1916 and 1917 city directories it's listed with an address of 6417 Hollywood Blvd.
The new theatre's name was chosen as an homage to the gardens of painter Paul DeLongpre. The storefronts were located
in what had originally been gardens just south of the house, an early
Hollywood tourist attraction. The theatre reportedly had the first
electric sign in Hollywood.
Status: The Iris moved into a new building at 6508 Hollywood Blvd in 1918 and that theatre later became known as the Fox Theatre.This block of 1913 storefronts wasn't demolished until 1995. Other tenants included KFWB after they moved out of the Warner Theatre building. The DeLongpre house itself survived until the Warner was constructed.
More Information: See the Cinema Treasures page on the Iris.