New HUD Universal Data Elements as of 10/1/16
HUD issued a few data field changes effective 10/1/16 including the addition of the following questions;
- "Other" is removed as a picklist value and replaced with "Doesn't identify as male, female, or transgender"
DISABLING CONDITION (update)
- This data element was previously required for only Adults; it is now required for all clients at entry point, including children
- This allows the questions to be used to calculate Chronic Homelessness at either entry or a PIT
LAST GRADE COMPLETED (change)
- This data element is now required for RHY, SSVF, and HUD VASH
- It must be answered at project entry for the Head of Household, Adults in the household, and Unaccompanied Youth
- New picklist values: Associates Degree, Bachelor's Degree, Graduate Degree, Vocational Certification
RRH PROJECTS ONLY (CoC, ESG, SSVF) (change)
- The "Is Client in Permanent Housing" question is removed
- If the client is not housed at program entry, then leave the Date Field blank (null)
- Upon a client's move into Permanent Housing, enter the move-in date using "Interim-update" or "Exit" as appropriate.
FOR SSVF PROVIDERS (new required data elements)
- As of October 1, 2016, the data field "HP Score" will be retired and in its place, there will be 21 additional fields that should sync up to the HP Targeting Criteria. For all clients enrolled as of October 1, 2016, you will need to backdate and update their entries to reflect the HP Targeting Criteria and moving forward, this must be included in your HMIS entries for new clients.
- Last Grade Completed (select appropriate response from the pick-list)
- Use of other Crisis Services (ie Emergency room, jail/prison, medical facility)
- Client entering from the streets, ES or SH? (ES=Emergency Shelter, SH=Supportive Housing)
- If Yes for "Client entering from streets, ES or SH" Approximate date started
- Regardless of where they stayed last night - Number of times the client has been on the streets, in ES, or SH in the past three years including today
- Total number of months homeless on the street, in ES or SH in the past three years
- If yes for domestic violence victim/survivor, are you currently fleeing?
You will see these new data fields in the database as well as on the updated data capture tools located on tab 5 of this site.
All clients in or entering a program on or after 10/1/2016 need to have the above additional responses to these questions recorded in HMIS and backdated appropriately. If you would like a refresher course in backdating or would like to review one-on-one these new/updated elements--please don't hesitate to contact Racquel Wiles (HMIS Support Coordinator).
Change in sharing client information in HMIS
Just a reminder that our system turned off the ROI (Release of Information) function of the database. This means that now you must lock each individual record for a client not willing to share their information in HMIS, simply entering an ROI and selecting "no", permission was not granted for this client to share info, is not enough to keep their record and information locked. You must do a mass visibility update for the client record and adjust the closed and open lock icons throughout the system. refer to the diagram below