These Tips are not to scare you, but to keep you alert and smart while traveling - especially to countries with multiple foreign languages. Be smart to be safe!
TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!
| 1. Know WHERE you are going|
- don't walk around without a purpose or intention and keep track of how to get back to your starting point
2. Don't Walk ALONE
-never walk alone, especially in the evening and at night. Stick to groups of 3 or more.
3. Keep track of your stuff
- Never lose sight of your bags/belongings. Know where your money and ID's are at all times. When you move from place to place always know where these items are. Don't leave bags idle or at a distance, but keep them close and closed!
4. Stay in well lit and populated streets
-avoid dark, isolated streets and alleys
5. Keep your music low
-listening to your ipod while traveling is always fun and relaxing, however, be smart and don't drown out the sounds around you - stay in tune with what's happening in your surroundings.
6. Don't search for eye-contact, but look up and LOOK AWARE
-don't look eager to make friends with strangers, but keep your head up and your eyes open.
7. While on public transportation:
-Don't keep your wallet in your hand, but keep it safe and hidden. Keep your bags in your grasp or accessible.
-Use locks if you have them, while sleeping on public transportation
If something doesn't feel right, or a situation makes you uncomfortable, take any measure to escape and walk away. There is no need to be paranoid, but be smart and trust how you feel at all times. Always let a Faculty or Team Member know if you feel unsafe.