HIV Therapy Simulator
HIV Therapy Simulator is an application that enables users to evaluate the efficacy of novel HIV combination therapy regimens in silico. Although the underlying simulation utilizes complex differential equations, the application itself is designed to be intuitive and easy to use. It is appropriate for clinicians and researchers who wish to investigate the efficacy of novel antiretroviral therapy regimens, as well as educators and students who wish to learn more about drug-microbe interactions and evolution.
HIV Therapy Simulator's features include:
- A stochastic, target-cell-limited model of HIV dynamics. The underlying mathematical model accurately represents the dynamics of typical primary and chronic HIV infection, as well as the multiphasic decline in viral load observed during antiretroviral therapy.
- Simulates both wild type and drug-resistant strains of HIV. Virus strains can have resistance to none, all or any combination of modeled drugs, and both forward and back mutations to drug resistance are modeled.
- Intuitive interface with graphical display of results. The application can be run with one click. Results are viewable in seconds.
- Extensively customizable model parameters. Many host, virus, drug, mutation and simulation parameters are customizable. For example, users can parameterize new drugs and behavior for virus strains resistant to those drugs. Epistasis involving drug resistance mutations is supported and epistatic override parameters can be specified.
- Flexible therapy editor. Users can simulate combination antiretroviral therapy that involves any combination of simulated drugs, with each drug starting and ending at any time.
- Predefined therapy strategies. For convenience, predefined templates are included that model highly active antiretroviral therapy, induction-maintenance therapy, structured treatment interruption and other antiretroviral therapy approaches that have been characterized in the literature.
- Multiple simulation runs. Simulations can be run repeatedly. Users can view the mean, median and variance for all runs and results for individual runs.
- Run results can be saved for future reference and reloaded into the simulator at a later time.
- External data series can be imported and overlaid on simulation results for convenient comparison.
- Patient adherence to therapy is modeled.
HIV Therapy Simulator is available for both Mac OS and Windows.