- Explore the contemporary meaning of Shakti in our lives by telling and sharing your stories (We have created a blog to promote the conversation). Invite women guests talk success in their lives and their shakti (power).
- Hold Shakti parties and events and invite women of shakti to come and share their views. We request Temples/ashrams/spiritual centers to host the event.
- During all the celebrations of Navaratri, honor the strength (shakti) of the women present by acknowledging the overcoming of the many trials and tribulations through the journey of life.
- During this month as part of the women’s empowerment month, HASC in partnership with Asian Indian Women in America and many other secular and faith based organizations is hosting a conversation Tina Tchen, Executive Director of Council on Girls and Women. In forming the Council President Obama said, "The purpose of this Council is to ensure that American women and girls are treated fairly in all matters of public policy,"
Navaratri ShaktiSeva at Hindu Temple of Minnesota - Dr. Kumud Sane
Celebrate Navratri in a way that is meaningful to you. Nine nights in a row, observe a ritual: it may be traditional, invented or a combination of the two. Here are some suggestions:
- Honor the Deities, Folk Heroes, Activists, Writers, Artists, Innovators, Politicians…..the women…who inspire you.
- Forgive a friend who wronged you.
- Invoke the values of Ashtanga Yoga
- Light your altar and chant the ancient prayers, then light a candle and relax
- Adorn yourself.
- Arrange events to be inspired by or inspire others with your shakti stories
- Start a journal, a blog, share your stories
- Give yourself permission to create something.
- Revive an old love: sing, dance, paint.
- Write a letter.
- Call your sister, friend, mother.
- Have your friends over: share the profound and silly female bonding rituals of your heritage and youth: oil your hair, do henna, paint your nails.
- Go out for the evening.
- Sign up for a class: make pottery; learn to play the drums, knit a scarf.
- Get moving: go for a walk, learn to ride a horse, take up a martial art, do Yoga,
- Help other women
- Learn more about the issues women face such as domestic violence
- Pledge to continue with ShaktiSeva on an ongoing basis, during the year, every month
Rediscover yourself. Invent yourself. Become yourself. Most of all: revel in yourself.
- Oct. 11-13, PBS is doing a God in America series.