Papers Published in Refereed Journals
- Formal Contracts, Relational Contracts, and the Threat-Point Effect (joint with Hodaka Morita). American Economic Journal: Microeconomics, 7 (2015), forthcoming.
- Complementarities among Authority, Accountability, and Monitoring: Evidence from Japanese Business Groups, Journal of the Japanese and International Economies 22 (2008): 207-228 (joint with Tatsuya Kikutani and Osamu Hayashida). abstract
- Moral Hazard and Other-Regarding Preferences,Japanese Economic Review 55 (2004), 18-45. abstract
- Corporate Restructuring in Japan, Part I: Can M-Form Organization Manage Diverse Businesses? Japanese Economic Review 54 (2003), 49-73. abstract
- Moral Hazard and Renegotiation with Multiple Agents, Review of Economic Studies 68 (2001), 1-20 (joint with Shingo Ishiguro). abstract
- Job Design, Delegation, and Cooperation: A Principal-Agent Analysis, European Economic Review 38 (1994), 691-700. abstract
- Coalitions, Incentives, and Risk Sharing, Journal of Economic Theory 60 (1993), 410-27. abstract
- Cooperation in Hierarchical Organizations: An Incentive Perspective, Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 8 (2) (1992), 321-45.
- Japanese Human Resource Management from the Viewpoint of Incentive Theory, Ricerche Economiche 45 (1991), 345-76.
- Incentives to Help in Multi-Agent Situations, Econometrica 59 (1991), 611-36. abstract
- Information Processing Capacities of the Firm, Journal of the Japanese and International Economies 1 (1987), 299-326. abstract
Chapters in Books
- ``Business Portfolio Restructuring of Japanese Firms in the 1990s: Entry and Exit Analysis,'' in Masahiko Aoki, Gregory Jackson, and Hideaki Miyajima (eds.), Corporate Governance in Japan: Institutional Change and Organizational Diversity. Oxford UK: Oxford University Press, 2007, Chapter 8, 227-256 (joint with Tatsuya Kikutani and Osamu Hayashida).
- ``Do Positions and Tenure of Top Executives Affect Their Attitude?'' in T. Tachibanaki (ed.), Who Runs Japanese Business?: Management and Motivation in the Firm. Edward Elgar, 1998, Chapter 3, 56-78 (joint with Hiroshi Teruyama).
- ``Effort Incentives: Evidence from Japanese Data,'' in T. Tachibanaki (ed.), Who Runs Japanese Business?: Management and Motivation in the Firm. Edward Elgar, 1998, Chapter 5, 97-125 (joint with Hiroshi Teruyama).
- ``Decentralised Personnel Management,'' in I. Ohashi and T. Tachibanaki (eds.), Internal Labour Market, Incentives and Employment. Macmillan Press, 1998, Chapter 5, 98-125 (joint with Osamu Hayashida).
- ``Coordination, Specialization, and Incentives in Product Development Organization,'' in Masahiko Aoki and Ronald Dore (eds.),
The Japanese Firm: The Sources of Competitive Strength.
Oxford University Press (1994), Chapter 10, 265-284. abstract
Others Scholarly Articles
- `` Economic Theories of Middle Management: Monitoring, Communication, and the Middle Manager's Dilemma,'' Japan Labor Review Vol.7, No,4 (2010), 5-22 (joint with Fumitoshi Moriya). pdf
- ``Job Design and Incentives in Hierarchies with Team Production,'' Hitotsubashi Journal of Commerce and Management 36 (2001), 1-17. pdf
- ``The Economics of the `Company Man' '' Japanese Economic Studies 24 (6), November-December 1996, 29-55.
- ``Social Relations and Incentive Contracts,'' Kyoto University Economic Review 41 (1991), 35-55. pdf
- ``Comments on Part I: Complementarity,'' in Enterprise Law: Contracts, Markets, and Laws in the US and Japan, edited by Zenichi Shishido. Edward Elgar, 2014, pp.118-121.
- ``Organizational Innovation and Corporate Performance,'' Journal of the Japanese and International Economies 22 (2008): 143-145 (joint with George Baker and Takeo Hoshi).
- Book Review: Small Firms in the Japanese Economy
by D. Hugh Whittaker, Cambridge University Press.
Journal of Economic Literature 36 (December 1998), 2186-8.
- ``Guest Editor's Introduction,''
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies 11 (1997), 314-318.
Japanese Translation: Paul Milgrom and John Roberts, Economics, Organization and Management.
Prentice-Hall, 1992 (with
Masahiro Okuno-Fujiwara and Haruo Imai).
- Japanese Translation: John McMillan,
Games, Strategies, and Managers: How Managers Can Use Game Theory to Make Better Business Decisions.
Oxford University Press, 1992 (with Osamu Hayashida).