Designated Cultural Heritage Sites in Brockville



Designated Cultural Heritage Sites in Brockville


    Since the passage of the Ontario Heritage Act (OHA) in 1974, it has been possible for all municipalities in the Province of Ontario to pass local by-laws under section IV of the Act which protects chosen buildings or sites under the provisions of the OHA. The Ontario Heritage Act was also revised in a number of ways in 2005.

    This “Process of Designation” has been used in connection with the following Brockville sites in the list below. Numbers following the site name are the known or conjectured dates of construction. Numbers following that are the relevant by-law number (e.g., 155) joined by a hyphen to its date (e.g., “78" = 1978).

.
.
 

The Clock Tower of Brockville City Hall
.

1.      Victoria Hall  (now Brockville City Hall)
          built 1862-64  City of Brockville  By-law  #  155-78
          1 King Street at Market Sq.


         

                    The Brockville Museum

2.      Aurinda and Isaac Beecher House    ca. 1815 (rear)   ca. 1840 (front)    #  156-78
           5 Henry Street
            Now part of the Brockville Museum
 




This view of the Presbyterian Church in the 1890s

3.      First Presbyterian Church      1879        #  157-78
          10 Church Street at William St.




4.      Jane and Newton Cossitt House    1883       #  158-78
          58 Wall Street at Pearl St.



5.      War Memorial    1924       #  164-79
          Court House Avenue at King St. W.  (in central boulevard)



6.     John H. Fulford Fountain      1917        #  165-79
           Court House Avenue (in central boulevard)



7.      Gen. Isaac Brock Monument     1912        # 166-79
          Court House Square (southern edge)



8.      Post Office and Customs House      1883-85        #  311-79
          12 Court House Avenue



9.      Elizabeth and Alexander Morris House    ca. 1835         #  312-79
          22 Court House Avenue



10.     Shepherd Grist Mill     1852          # 159-83
           123 Water Street West  at John St.



11.      Ruth and David Robertson House    ca. 1835        # 160-83
            10 Broad Street at Flint St.
 


12.      Robert Sheridan Store     1885       # 58-85
             40 King Street East at Garden St.
 



13.      “Fairview,”  Willson-Page House       ca. 1859         # 59-85
             30 Crawford Street





14.      “Somerset,” Janet and Benjamin Chaffey House    ca. 1859       #  60-85
      50 Crawford Street at Oxford Ave.



15.      Donaldson Block      1857        #  72-86
             95-99 King Street West at Apple St.
 


16      “Beauvoir,”     Isabella and George Easton House    1857        #  73-86      
             41 Cochrane Dr.



17.      Jones-Harding Building      1832           #  209-87
            41-45 King Street West at Broad St.



18.      McQueen-Fitzsimmons House      ca. 1850          #  227-87
     36 Broad Street



19.      McNamara-Gardiner House      ca. 1890        #  139-88
            25 Pine Street at Garden St.



20.      Sarah and John Lawrence House      ca. 1865        #  62-89
             301 North Augusta Road







 

21.     Mary Ann and Robert Wright House     1880       #  80-91
            17 Sherwood Street at Granite St. E.



22.     Wall Street (Methodist) United Church     1830-1896      # 184-91
             5 Wall Street



23.     Brockville Railway Tunnel (South & North Entrances)     1854-1860       #  243-92
            Water Street at Blockhouse Island Pkwy.




Updated - May 2009

Comments