Enjoy Your Healthy Life!
By Haruko Sakiyama
Speech Title: Enjoy your Healthy Life!
Category: Question of Value
Organizational Pattern: Topical
General Purpose Statement: To persuade
Specific Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that eating breakfast is important to good health
Central Purpose Statement: To persuade my audience that eating breakfast is important for good health by first telling you about the metabolic benefits of eating breakfast, second, by explaining how breakfast aids in weight loss, and third, by discussing some overall psychological and physiological advantages eating a good breakfast.
Have you ever worried about the grumbling of your stomach in a classroom or an office in the morning? Have you ever thought about getting snacks or lunch in the morning because of intense hunger? If you skip breakfast, it not only makes you have less concentration, but it actually reduces your thinking ability or performance. Have you ever asked yourself “why can’t I lose weight?” The reason might be that you are skipping breakfast. Breakfast plays a very important role for our health, but a lot of people neglect breakfast. After I came to America, I got a cold more often than before and also gained almost 10 pounds. I tried to solve these two problems. And later I figured out the solution. I just needed to eat breakfast. It’s not as difficult as doing exercise everyday, but eating breakfast has as good an effect as doing exercise, or even more! So, tonight, I’m going to persuade you that eating breakfast is important for good health by first telling you about the metabolic benefits of eating breakfast, second, by explaining how breakfast aids in weight loss, and third, by discussing some overall psychological and physiological advantages eating a good breakfast.
I. Numerous studying have been made by nutrician scientists on the great value of eating a good breakfast. They are all agree there are significant advantages from eating well-balanced breakfast.
A. According to Food Service Director, To Start the Day: Healthy Breakfast by Karen Rubin in Apr. 15, 2000, after fasting overnight, glucose level drops dramatically.
1. According to Rubin in April 15, 2000, numerous nutrition studies show that glucose, which is natural
sugar, level drops dramatically after overnight fasting.
2. Rubin said that since glucose level is energy for body, body wakes up energy deficient.
3. Also, according to Family Life, Brilliant Breakfasts in Sep. 1997 by Flynn McCarthy, children, age four to puberty whose brain use twice as much glucose than adults.
4. Rubin and McCarthy state eating a good breakfast supplies food which is transformed into glucose
energy for body’s work.
B. According to Kid Source Online: Breakfast Program May Improve Children’s Behavior and Performance in
2000 Eating breakfast effects brain, memory, attention span and concentration.
1. According to this article, Harvard research shows breakfast boosts children’s brain function, memory,
attention span and concentration.
2. Also, according to Family Life, Brilliant Breakfast in Sep., 1997, Studies by Tufts University discovered that the score of standard mathematics of students who ate breakfast was 13 points higher than students who didn’t eat breakfast.
Transition: Now, I’ve talked about the metabolic reasons of eating breakfast. I’d like to talk about eating breakfast aids in weight loss.
Ⅱ. A many researchers are linked eating breakfast leads to successful weight loss.
A. Understanding the body’s reaction to starvation is necessary.
1. According to Food Service Director: To Start the Day: Healthy Breakfast by Karen Rubin in April
2000, if you don’t eat food for long hours, the brain thinks that you are going to starve, as a result body consumes more cholesterol and fat for storing energy.
2. According to Medical Letter on the CDC&FDA: Breakfast is Key to Best Diet, July 2002, people who eat breakfast consume two-third of daily recommended of calcium, magnesium, which help your metabolism.
3. In addition, according to Runner’s World: Eat More, Weigh Less in June 2002, the study of National weight Control Registry investigated that 78 % of people who lost more than 30 pounds and kept the lost answered they ate breakfast 7 days a week.
Transition and Internal Preview: Now, I’ve talked about eating breakfast aids to weight loss. I’m going to discuss some overall psychological and physiological advantages eating a good breakfast, by first talking about how breakfast helps decrease mental fatigue and depression, and second, how it has physical benefits.
Ⅲ. Eating breakfast is beneficial.
A. Psychological effects of eating good breakfast include decreasing mental fatigue and depression.
1. According to Prevention: Automatic Weight Loss in 1996 August, Bonnie Spring PhD, professor of psychology at the University of Health Science says people who skip breakfast get tired and irritable easily.
2. Also, Dr. Spring pointed out that this result tends to make people grab something sugary to boost their mood.
3. However, over sugar taking only make energy increase and drop rapidly and doesn’t really help.
B. Physiological uplift results from eating breakfast.
1. According to Nation’s Restaurant News, Coalition: School breakfast numbers rise, don’t shine in November 2002 , Research study of public school students by Harvard Medical School showed that eating breakfast reduce absences and tardiness.
2. According to Jet, Breakfast Remains Essential to a Healthy Lifestyle in May 2002, eating breakfast such as fruits and vegetables could be avoid strokes and cardiovascular diseases.
In conclusion, tonight, I have persuaded you eating breakfast is important for good health by first telling you about the metabolic benefits of eating breakfast, second, by explaining how breakfast aids in weight loss, and third, by discussing some overall psychological and physiological advantages eating a good breakfast. Will you still keep skipping breakfast? Do you still think sleeping 10-15 minutes longer is more important than eating breakfast? I hope you don’t, and you will start to eat breakfast regularly. But, just in case, I will suggest for those who still want to sleep longer a simple quick breakfast to prepare. Preparing breakfast the night before, for example, you might cut some cheese or pour orange juice into a portable container. Or, if it’s still a pain in the neck, take bananas, apples, or some fruits with you. Eating something is better than eating nothing. So, please start from tonight or tomorrow morning having breakfast and expect to live happier, healthier and enjoy your long life more.
・Baylor College of Medicine. “Breakfast is Key to Best Diet”. Medical Letter on the
CDC&FDA. Jul. 2002. Nov.2002
・”Breakfast Remains Essential to a Healthy Lifestyle”. Jet. Vol. 101 May 2002.
・Eck, Moxey B. “Eat More, Weigh Less”. Runner’s World. Vol.36 Jun.2002. Nov.2002.
・Kid Source Online. “School Breakfast Program May Improve Children’s Behavior and
Performance” Online posting. Apr.2000. Nov.2002 <http: www. Kidsource.com/>
・King, Paul. “School Breakfast Numbers Rise, Don’t Shine”. Nation’s Restaurant News,
・McCarthy, Laura F. “Brilliant Breakfasts”. Family Life. Sep.1997. Nov. 2002
・Rubin, Wilk K. “To Start the Day: Healthy Breakfast”. Food Service Director. Apr.2000.
・Spilner, Maggie “Automatic Weight Loss”. Prevention. Vol.48 Aug. 1996. Nov. 2002.