Home:‎ > ‎

Building a Museum

In 2010 residents began a Sunday Morning Farmers Market at the Museum's Heritage Park, just off the highway. It is up and running again in 2011- from 9 am to 1 pm.

 
 
When the Museum was started in 1983, we planned to confine our collection to items relating to Hedley prior to the underground mine closing in 1955.  In 2007, this policy changed to allow acceptance of significant items up until the present
        2009 Museum Collections Report

In 2009 the museum received many treasures ranging from a faded photograph of a long-ago Communion class at St. Anne’s church to a collection of items from the Hedley School.  Here are some of the bulkier ones:

The HHMS Collection continues to expand with the addition of a Mascot ore skip, once used on the aerial tramline; a small, rickety building that has moved around town several times and was originally used as the Hedley Barber Shop; and a portable carbon arc movie projector once used in Princeton and possibly in Hedley. Smaller items include, for example, assorted tools, a medicine vapourizer, an unused Nickel Plate miner’s carbide lamp and Hedley School memorabilia. A large collection of old canning jars, dug from Hedley’s old dump sites, will arrive this spring. Thank you to all donors!
 
2010 Museum Collections Report
 
From October 2009 through July 2010 we benefited greatly from a Job Creation Partnership that funded two employees working on the artifact and archives collections, sorting, organizing, and documenting material and preparing new displays. During 2008-2009, the displays were rearranged to better tell Hedley's story, and the 2010 work filled it out and brought to light more bits of history. The original small house built and lived in by the Lyons family from 1904 to 1903 had suffered water damage from a roof leak; this was repaired and the team recreated the inside display of a 1930s-1940s home and in another room items form the Hedley Hospital. We received more items, and some great photos. Thank you again!
 
2011 Museum Collections Report
 
We finally moved the little barbershop into Heritage Park. Photos to follow.
 
 
 
 
 
 
Comments