Toby Heaton-Armstrong has created this site in an effort to get all us Heaton-Armstrong's, from far and wide, ready for our annual vacation to Port Macquarie in NSW, Australia. Here's hoping that you will all be able to make it and by getting all the information in one place, it will make it easier for everyone to get booked and sorted out for the big 'Toby Heaton-Armstrong' family bash that is booked for March 2012.
Have started another website aboout our goings-on in Lake Macquarie, check it out if you are bored - Toby Heaton-Armstrong Lake Macquarie.
Port Macquarie is a gorgeous beachside town on the mid NSW coast, located at the mouth of the Hastings River. We should be able to cater to everyone as it has sailing, fishing, diving, kite surfing, swimming, surfing, and fantastic restaurants and cafe's; something for everyone. It is about mid way between Sydney and the Gold Coast (about 500kms from both) so it should be convenient for everyone driving and flying in (or whatever mode of transport you favour) from whatever part of the world you live.
I will be turning back time, together with my Wife and the kids when we visit Port Macquarie as the boys' Great Grandfather used to have a restaurant here back in the 1940s. A proper homemade fish and chip shop with battered savs, battered pineapple and banana and the best hamburgers EVER! It will be fascinating going back to where the shop used to be and seeing what progress has been made and what it looks like now. I am hoping to find a few local oldies to chat with about that time and if they remember my Grandfather (as he was quite a character!) will be able to find a few locals to ask about the shop and any memories they might have.
Port Macquarie, has so much going for it, even if at first glance it seems to be a sleepy seaside town with not much life in it after dark. There is so much to do and I am sure that even the older kids that are coming along should find themselves kept busy. Who wants a bored teenager on holidays with them - not me! For the younger kids, or the young at heart there is a planned day out at the Koala Hospital and then on to the Billabong Koala and Wildlife park. Here is a link to their website so you can orient yourself to what to look at and how long we will need for our visit. Toby Heaton Armstrong's Billabong Koala Park . You are welcome to buy your tickets individually as a family, or if you want to go as a group then we can get a discounted price, however you will need to let me now by 2 February so I can book and pre-pay online . Costs as a 'group' are $16.00 for an adult (usually $18.00) and children are $10.00 (usually charged at $11.00). So you will manage to make a bit of a saving which can then be spent on your lunch enroute to our visit at the Koala Hospital in the afternoon. This is going to be such a great day out for all the little Heaton-Armstrong kids, and the young at heart too.
OK, so I have spent a HEAP of time looking at the available options for our trip and have narrowed it down a bit. As we are going to be quite a big group it is important that we stay somewhere that has everything nearby but that can accommodate the extended Toby Heaton-Armstrong family in one place. The ideal place for us is the Sundownder Breakwall Tourist Park, here's hoping it is for you too! There are many accommodation options available with differing rates, so everyone can be in the same park but not on top of each other. I suggest that everyone gets booking ASAP if you haven't already as this place is very popular during March even though school has gone back.
The chosen Heaton-Armstrong caravan/cabin park accommodation choice is located on the waterfront so we will have everything within reach, and is the only tourist park in the Port Macqaurie CBD. As it is a mere two minutes walk to everything you might want or need during our stay, here's hoping we are all happy with it.
Accommodation Options are:
* Conventional Cottage - these are pretty basic for a cabin and have with no toilet/shower facitilites internally. Sleeps 5, self contained, bring own linen.
* Large and Small Ensuite Cabins - there are a range of these available, sleeping anywhere from 2-6 people. Self contained but you need to bring your own linens. Close to kids playground.
* Ocean View Cottages - these have lovely views of the river and beach as they are located at the top of the caravan park. Sleeps 5 with a bunk, single and double bed. Free in-house movies, I would be renting this if I had teenagers.
* One bedroom Riverside - these are close to town and on the banks of the river, beautiful views. Sleeps four people with the bunks in a common area of the cabin (eg no separate bedroom)
* Riverside Spa Cabins - Two bedrooms which sleeps 4-6 people, these have a huge balcony and this is what we have booked
* Bayside Cottages - These are ideal for the unattached or dinky Heaton-Armstrong's among us -2 bedrooms, own front yard and BBQ area, 2 seater spa
Costs for the accommodation are as follows (mid season rates apply):
* Powered Sites - $56/night
* Conventional Cabin - $105/nt
* Conventional Cottages - $114 per night
* Ensuite Cabin - $120/night
* Large Ensuite Cabin - $130/nt
* 1 Bedroom Riverside - $250 per night
* Ocean View Cottages - $260/nt
* Bayside Cottages - $270 per night
* Riverside Spa Cottage - $320 for each night
I hope you will find something that meets your needs, and if not you should check out the Port Macquarie tourist website. Make sure you get in early and book as it would be great for all us Heaton-Armstrong people to be in the same park.
As I am sure you will all agree, it is not a great idea to post my details online, but I would think that you would have my email or home number anyway. If not you can get in touch with Mum and Dad and they will forward your message along. The best time to get in touch with me is after 8pm (EDST Australia) any day during the week except Wednesdays, or on the weekends anytime from 9am to 10pm. Me and the whole family are so looking forward to the big catch up, our annual Heaton-Armstrong get together.