Read the7th grade weekly update
B'nai Tzedek - Living Jewish Values
B'nai Tzedek is a new and innovative Jewish service learning experience for all 7th graders who are becoming b'nai mitzvah at HEA. Students participating in this program will delve into Jewish values and principles of philanthropy and have opportunities to implement those values through hands-on volunteer work and charitable giving.
1. Enable students to understand and act upon the core Jewish values of Tzedakah (social justice), Tikkun Olam (repairing the world) and G’milut Hasadim (acts of compassion) through volunteer work and charitable giving.
2. Support healthy adolescent development by offering a safe environment, engaging activities, opportunities for leadership and relationships with trusted adults.
3. Build a strong sense of community among students.
4. Increase students’ awareness of current social concerns and familiarize them with nonprofit organizations addressing these issues.
5. Influence and create a new generation of Jewish philanthropists and activists
The program will be held on the following Sundays, 9 -12pm. In addition to the service learning, each session will also include team building activities, social time, opportunities to interact with our community’s youth Israel engagement volunteers (Shin-Shinim), and more. Several sessions will also be field trips to visit and volunteer at local organizations.
Tentative Class Schedule for the 2016-17 School year