These pool sessions are focused on skill refinement and individual practice for all paddlers -
whitewater kayakers, whitewater and open canoeists, recreational kayakers, and sea kayakers - seeking to practice paddle strokes, bracing, rolling, deep water reentries, etc.
The cost is $10 per adult paddler or HCC family
Wednesday Pool Sessions; These will start on Wednesday, April 1. The Wednesday Sessions will start at 7:00 pm and end at 9:00 pm. These sessions will occur every Wednesday through the end of November.
The pool is also popular with freestyle playboaters who want to learn flat water moves such as cartwheels, squirts and stalls and with touring kayakers wanting to refine their roll, tune up their turning maneuvers, or work on rescues. It is a great place to meet other paddlers, find out about upcoming trips and try out different boats and paddles. Participants often go out for refreshments afterwards to swap paddling stories and watch videos.
There are no formal classes at these pool sessions, but novice paddlers may ask more experienced paddlers for to help teach rolling and basic paddle technique. Please call in advance if you are new to paddling, desire coaching, or if you want to borrow a boat for the session.
Guests are welcomed to these sessions, but the expectation is that if you wish to use this HCC resource regularly you should become an HCC member. Pool sessions are canceled in the event of lightning storms or if inclement weather closes the Recreation Center. Please make certain your boat is clean and free of debris inside and out before bringing it into the pool.
For more information about the Wednesday pool sessions email Jordan Ross or call him at 317-460-7000. Pool information updates can be found on the HCC Bulletin Board. Also, review the HCC Pool Policy below.
The pool sessions are held at:
Thatcher Recreation Center
Indianapolis, IN 46222 Link to a map on MapQuest
HCC POOL POLICIES
- Participation is restricted to HCC members and their one-time guests.
- Participants must sign in each session and pay: $10.00 per family.
- Please make certain your boat is clean and free of debris inside and out before bringing it into the pool.
- First time participants must check-in with the pool coordinator before entering the pool.
- Participants must be able to swim.
- Participants must have the ability to self-rescue (wet exit at a minimum). First time visitors must demonstrate this ability.
- Participants must maintain control of their boats and equipment at all times.
- Anyone under the age of 18 must be accompanied by a parent or guardian.
- There will be no swimming or diving.
- Participants are expected to be courteous and safety conscious at all times.
- No one or their equipment is allowed on the pool deck before the designated start time. All boats and gear must be removed from the pool deck promptly at the designated time - Indy Park RULES.