As first written by Rev. Wm. Hayden, 1877, copied by Mina Pomeroy in 1915
Edited by Thomas G. Keys, Hayden Family

The American Branch of this distant Watford Line are the Haydens of Maryland, Kentucky and Missouri but not the Haydens of Connecticut or Massachusetts. Do not confuse these sets of John, William, Richard, etc. with any of those with the same names of the Norfolk Line or the Devon Line. The Heydons/Haydons all used these same names repetitively. T.G.K.

            "The exact connection of this branch with the Norfolk line is nowhere distinctly stated in the authorities consulted; but from a careful comparison of names and dates, with attendant circumstances, appears to be as follows:

     “Sir Richard Heydon, second son of Simeon Heydon, (see Norfolk Line report), the 4th heir of the Norfolk Line, lost his life, pretty well advanced in age in 1370, during the wars, which King Edward III and the Black Prince waged in those days against France.  At that time the Manor of Cassiobury, at Watford, was a Royal Domain (It belonged to the King).  The Black Prince died in 1376, and King Edward died the next year, June 1377.  We find no record of the Heydons at Watford until later in the year of 1400 when a John Heydon, the first of the Watford Branch, died there, possessed of that portion of the old Manor of Cassiobury which is known as "The Grove" and which is now, 1877, the seat of the present Earl Clarendon.  According to a later report, the Heydon family held this manor directly of the King “by fealty, suit of court, and an annual rent of thirty-seven shillings and two pence.” John Thomas Mott, son of G. Thurston, had inherited and was in possession when we were there.  It would seem, therefore, that this John Heydon was the son of Sir Richard, who was the son of Simeon #4 of the Norfolk Line. (See that report). John probably had this manor conferred upon him by the king directly at a nominal rent, in consideration of his father’s services in the wars.  It is spoken of both by Clutterbuck and Chauncey as the “ancient seat of the family of Heydons.”  We have then as follows next:

1.        " John Heydon  (born-?) Possessed in 1400, as the head of this line, that portion of the old manor of Cassiobury known as The Grove. .  It had at one time been "Royal Domain" and was probably given to John in behalf of his father's war services. His wife's name was Joan (last name?) Some accounts say he lived until March 1, 1408. He added the South Chapel to Watford Church (St. Mary’s). The inscription in the church here, now covered by the organ, is, according to Weaver, as follows: Here lyeth John Heydon of the Grove Esquyre, who died 1400.  He was succeeded by his son: Who?--We next have 1 or 2 missing generations for about 100 years. I've read that it took 80 full time servants to run this place at a huge expense. Small wonder that both the King and John Heydon eventually disposed of it.
But, what a magnificant dwelling!
Cassiobury Entrance gate torn down in 1927
Cassiobury mostly torn down in 1927.

2.         William Heydon, (Sr,) of the Grove. Esq., who with his mother Joan, rebuilt or restored, in honor of his father, the small chapel (next picture) dedicated to St. Katherine, on the south side of the chancel in Watford Church, Hertfordshire, and placed there a tablet with an inscription.  His arms are carved in stone under the capital of one of the pillars, which separate this chapel from the chancel.  “Here lyeth William Hayden of New Streets Esquire and Ioane (Joan) his mother who buylded the South Isle of this church and dyed Anno.1505” There is also a separate tomb: “Here lyeth William Heydon 1500.  


Photo courtesy of Patricia Bishop Obrist 1996 in St. Mary's Church, Watford.
At Pat's request, I have removed the picture she owns of the Heydon tomb and she will be placing it in her new book soon to be published.
These books on family history available now:
Remember: The Drury Family, Volume I

Remember: The Drury Family from England to Maryland and the Frontier, Volume II
uthors: Patricia Bishop Obrist, Robert William Dora and Donald William Drury


Patricia Bishop Obrist

3.         William Heydon, II of the Grove, Esq., who died in April, 1515 and, according to Solomon’s History of Hertfordshire County, London, 1728, was buried in Westminster Abbey.  He married Elizabeth Aubrey, the daughter of Robert and Christian Aubrey, of Buckingham, by whom he had the son who succeeded him, viz.,  
4.         William Heydon III of the Grove who married Alice, daughter of Alexander Newton, of Sowell, Somersetshire.  William’s will is dated May 8, 37th year of King Henry VIII, 1546.  William died the next year, 1547.  He appears to have left several sons, for the one who succeeded him is called “his eldest son and heir.”  


 5.         Henry Heydon of the Grove, born 1508/09, died 1588, who was 38 years old at his fathers death, and married Anne, daughter and heir of Edward Twybee or Twynhoe of Shipton, county of Gloucestershire.  His son and heir was:                  

6.         Francis Heydon,  (born date ?) buried on July 25, 1606 ) of the Grove, Esq., who married Frances,(female spelling) daughter of Arthur Longueville, Esq. She was born in Woolverton, Buckinghamshire.  She was buried Oct. 14, 1598 at Watford. Her parents were Arthur Longueville and Anne Middleton.    In the 25th Elizabeth, 1583, Francis Haydon was constituted High Sheriff of this county. (Hertfordshire) Arms—quarterly, argent and azure, a cross-engrailed counterchanged; crest-a talbot passant spotted sable.  By an indenture dated Sept. 30, 1602, (44 Elizabeth), this Francis conveyed (sold) the Manor/the Grove, to Sir Clement Scudamore, who again, in 1631, sold it to the Ashtons.  The Heydons possessing other property in Watford remained there after the sale.  His 5 sons were Edward, (Sr). Bap. Dec 3, 1561; Jeronomy, Charles, Henry, and Francis. He also had 4 daughters (no names listed) All 9 children's baptismal dates are listed in Clutterbuck.  The family owned and built “Watford Place, New Street,” and, according to the accounts, the eldest son succeeded to that property, who was next Edward Heydon.

7.         Edward Heydon, (Sr.?) born ca. 12/3/1561 as was baptized Dec.3, 1561, at Watford; married Nov. 17, 1597 at Watford to Frances Burr.That means he was 36 when he was married.  He died on -? of New Street, Esq. His arms are given as “quarterly, or and azure, a cross engrailed, quarterly counterchanged; crest on a wreath, a talbot passant, argent spotted sable.” He was succeeded by (#8 below), Michael his eldest son and heir of Watford.  A younger son of his was named Edward Hayden (Jr.) born 1602 who later married Ellenor Whitehead at Watford, Hertfordshire and their son was Francis Hayden baptized Aug. 14, 1628, who went to Maryland, USA. (Since you don't inherit anything and the revolution is on in  England, it's best to go to America.)


     Francis Hayden baptized Aug. 14, 1628, immigrated to St. Mary's County, Maryland, died in 1697 in Maryland at about age 69. He married Thomasin Butler, daughter of Thomas Butler, (she died 1702.).    Listed as the first Hayden in Maryland. This Maryland branch also now spells their name HAYDEN. A son,William immigrated to Westmoreland County, Virginia.

William Hayden born 1674/5, died 1733 married wife #1 whose last name is Thomas or Thompson and she is the mother of his four elder children who are: Grace Herbert, Tomasine Cissell, Charles, and William. The eight children by his second wife Elizabeth are: Francis, Susan, James, George*, John, Clement, Richard, and Elizabeth Hayden. Elizabeth survived her husband by some years. One of those named in her Will is her daughter, referred to there as Susannah Drury.  Susannah had married John Drury in 1734.
*George Hayden Born ca 1719, Died 1754, St. Mary's County Maryland, 1st wife -?-  2nd wife Charity no dates. Their son: was Basil born 17-
13. BASIL6 HAYDEN, SR (GEORGE5, WILLIAM4, FRANCIS3, EDWARD2 HEYDON, EDWARD1) was born in St Mary's County, Maryland, and died July 1804. He married HENRIETTA COLE January 02, 1743, daughter of ROBERT COLE and ANNE GREENWELL. She died 1837.
1785- BASIL HAYDEN WAS THE LEADER OF THE ORIGINAL 25 FAMILIES FROM MARYLAND. Basil sold the land to Holy Cross church's trustees for 5 lbs. His farm was in Pottinger Creek Settlement, next to Church. His widow lived in Holy Cross Parish until 1837. Church location was at present location of Ky 49 & Nelson County Line (Rohan's Knobb). Four of their children died on the trip from Maryland to Kentucky. In 1799, the family owned 525 acres and 24 slaves. The first Catholic Church in Kentucky was built on his land.
special note: The picture on Old Granddad Whiskey bottles is Basil.
                                                END OF MARYLAND REPORT

To continue your search for more relatives in Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri :

Tom Stevenson has a beautiful web site at:

also visit:


Now, back to the main English genealogy report continuing forward from # 7 Edward Heydon. (Sr.)


 #8.(Continued from # 7 above) Michael Heydon, (no dates). Who, Dec.18, 1614 granted a lease of “Watford Place, situated in New Street, with its appurtenances, for the term of an hundred years, at the yearly rental of 8 pounds,” to Lady Morrison, who “placed therein Thomas Valentine, A.M. Preacher of God’s Word, and four poor women, in several rooms, parcel of said messuage, * to continue therein during their lives and good behavior; and intended that after their departure thence other like learned preachers and poor widows should be successively placed in their stead during the term of the lease.”  (*Messuage-A dwelling house with its adjacent buildings and land assigned to the use of those who live in it.)

On inquiry in Watford in May 1877, I find the old building there, and the charity to the “four poor women” continued.  There was at Watford a Daniel Heydon as late as 1765; but I find none later than that. "

     Watford church. -Says Clutterbuck, This church, which is dedicated to St Mary.  Stands at the upper end of the town, on the west side of the main street.  It is constructed of flints and stones loosely cemented together and covered with a coat of plaster; and consists of a square tower surmounted by a short spire, a nave, and two side aisles, and a chancel, with its adjacent chapels, covered with lead.  The east end of the nave is terminated by a handsome gallery built with oak and supported by pillars of the same material, which was erected in the year 1766.  On the south side of the church is a small aisle or chapel dedicated to St. Katherine.”


This is the chapel spoken of as having been rebuilt by William Heydon, and which contains the tablets of the Heydons for many generations.  The inscriptions are now mostly effaced; and the new organ placed there within a year or two occupies this chapel, and so nearly fills it- a margin of only 3 or 4 inches remaining around it-that it is impossible now to examine the Heydon monuments.  The monuments of the Earls of Essex occupy the chapel on the opposite side.


    Our visit to Watford was in May, 1877, when by an introduction obtained through our good friend Dr. Charles R. Coffin of London, we were kindly allowed by Lord and Lady Clarendon to view every portion of their fine estate and mansion, “The Grove”; and at the vicarage were kindly received and shown through it by the Rev. R. L. James, the present incumbent, who also placed the records of the parish before us, and added from his own knowledge a number of interesting facts to our information."

Joane Haydon Funeral Notice
Joane (Tegge) Haydon, married in 1570 to John Haydon of Witcombe, parish of Hinton Blewet, Somerset County, to be buried April 4, 1638 in Chewton Churchyard. They had 4 living sons listed below and 1 daughter listed below.  The will was proven Jan 5, 1637.
"Colonel Bulwer’s book on the Heydon Pedigree contains the record of a will of Joanne Haydon of Witcombe, in the parish of Hinton Blewitt, county of Somerset, widow, dated Jan 5, 1637.” 
Children of Roger Tegge, Sr. (Joane's brothers and sisters)  receive portions of Joanne Tegge Haydon estate as follows:

Mary Tegge                   

Frances (girl) Tegge,

Elizabeth Tegge,            

Hanna Tegge

Thomas Tegge,

William Tegge

Roger Tegge, Jr.

Amy or Anaye Hayden Tegge, who is the daughter of Joanne (Haydon) Tegge, (Jr).

Amy/Anaye is also listed as sole executor of estate.

The 4 sons of John Haydon and Joanne listed below receive portions:

William Haydon baptized Jan. 14, 1571                    

 John Haydon  , baptized - 11, 1576  He married Christian Webb in 1605.                         

Richard Haydon, baptized Sept 15, 1572/3                 

James Haydon, baptized July 25, 1574                        

Matthew Haydon (deceased)

Mary Clarke and Elizabeth Haydon, daughters of deceased Matthew to receive portions.  Johanne Heydon, daughter of Thomas Haydon, a near relative, to receive portion      France Poole, wife of Joseph Poole/portion

Tobias Tegge and Edward Volesa, overseers.

Witness, John Gervos and William Earle.  (Proved P.U.C.  31 May, 1638


            Please note that the William, John, and James above are NOT the 3 emigrants to America as by 1630 they all would have been between 55 and 60 years old and all 3 were actually  "young men of the Devon Line".

 The Haydon family left Witcombe in the seventeenth century; and beyond a field still known by the name of Heydon’s/Haydon's Mead, is a small brook or a gully, of which tradition says one of the Heydon/Haydon family who was a Royalist officer lay hidden for some weeks in 1645, and still called Heydon’s gully.  Nothing seems to remain of them in the parish. The Parliamentarians were in control and killing off the Royalists.

 The Grove was sold Sept 30, 1602 to Sir Clement Scudamore who sold it in 1631 to the Ashton Family,  By 1877, the Grove belonged to the Earl of Clarendon.

Ancient trivia not able to relocate and insert:

In 1572, a Thomas Haydon married Johan/Joan Edgill, and they had a daughter Frances, baptized in 1573, and a son, William, baptized 1575.


In 1612, a John Haiden/Haydon, son of Richard and Agnes Haiden, was baptized.  In 1613, William and Sara Haydon had a son called John.

In 1630, there is a burial of “John Haydon the elder.”






HEYDONS-TOP LEFT PANEL WITH THEIR QUARTERINGS. I have read that for some period of time, that the Watford Heydons used the same red and gold engrailed cross as their Norfolk relations. The top left quartering in  this old Watford shield is the same as the Norfolk Heydons.


    In the very late 1900’s, British Rail had bought and taken over Watford/The Grove as a training center for students. It has again been sold and today, in 2006, has just become a fantastic 5 star hotel with over 220 suites and 18-hole golf course. It still retains the name of The Grove at Watford. Next are pictures of its appearance first when operated by British Rail.  
Up in the fog and the taxi is waiting for our photographer.
 These very last 2 photos are as it appears as a 5 star hotel today with golf course.


From Watford to Maryland




Maryland was founded as the third English colony in the New World, and it was distinctive for the policy of its founder, Lord Baltimore, religious freedom for all.

This freedom of religion was denied Englishmen during the lifetime of George Calvert, the first Lord Baltimore, whose dream it was to found such a colony.  Born about 1580 in Yorkshire, Northern England, he was the son of Leonard and Alicia Crossland Calvert, a family of wealth and social position in that area, and probably a Catholic family.

In spite of his religion, or perhaps because the family had previously abandoned Catholicism in the face of rampant Protestant persecution, he rose to a position of political influence in the court of King James I. He was knighted in 1617 and in 1619 became principal Secretary of State.

In 1624, George Calvert resigned his position and announced that he had become a Roman Catholic. King James rewarded Calvert for past service by making him Baron of Baltimore.  Long interested in the colonization of America, the new Lord Baltimore now turned his talent, energy and considerable fortune to the establishment of a new colony in America.

His first venture was Avalon, a settlement at Ferryland, and a harbor community located on the southeastern coast of Newfoundland. He equipped a group of colonists and sent them to the settlement about 1622, and he received a royal charter to the province of Avalon on April 7, 1623.

Because of the severe winter climate, the colony did not prosper and, in spite of Calvert investing a large portion of his fortune in the venture, it failed. He visited the colony in 1628 and abandoned it the next year in favor of Virginia. The Avalon colonists were not welcomed in Virginia, however, where the colony's laws provided for strict Protestant conformity.

Calvert refused to take the required oath of supremacy at Jamestown and planned to return to England. Before he went, however, he explored the Chesapeake Bay and saw unsettled land where the climate was conducive to farming. Upon his return to England, he petitioned King Charles I for a grant of land north of the Virginia colony.

George Calvert never returned to America. Physically and financially weakened by the Avalon experience, and saddened by the loss at sea of his second wife and children--they had remained behind in Virginia after he left and were returning to England on another ship--the first Lord Baltimore died on April 15, 1632.

Cecelius Calvert inherited his father's title--and his dream. Two months after his father died, he received the charter from King Charles, granting the second Lord Baltimore almost regal powers and ownership of all the land of the colony, which he had named Maryland, in honor of the “Mother of God.” This land was used to attract settlers to the new colony.

Those who would pay their own way to Maryland were granted 100 acres of land, and if they transported servants--men and women who agreed to indentured service for seven years to pay for their passage--they could obtain 100 more acres. Later, that amount was reduced to 50 acres of land, and the servants, after their term of servitude was over, would also be granted 50 acres of land.

After months of preparation and delays, the first colonists sailed from Cowes, Isle of Wight, England on Nov. 22, 1633, on two ships, the Ark and the Dove. After a frightful, stormy voyage of more than three months, they finally landed on St. Clement's Island about March 10, 1634.

Cecelius Calvert named his brother, Leonard, as governor of the colony, and he stayed in England to administer the colony's affairs there. Gov. Leonard Calvert was an able administrator, serving the colony for 13 devoted years, until his death in 1647. He was especially adept in dealing with the Indians who inhabited the area, the Piscataway and Yaocomico tribes of the Algonquin Indians. It was the Yaocomico village on the banks of the St. Mary's River which the governor purchased in 1634 and renamed St. Mary's City. The colony prospered, in spite of political and religious controversy. In England, there was continued political upheaval and religious intolerance, and that condition was reflected in Maryland. There were repeated efforts to wrest the government from Lord Baltimore. In 1649, the Maryland General Assembly passed an Act of Religious Toleration, which was remarkable because it was passed at a time when there was rampant religious intoleration, both in England and in the other American colonies.

After several abortive attempts at overthrowing the Proprietary government in Maryland, the Protestant revolution of 1689 was successful. It was fomented largely by the non-Catholic colonists of Maryland--about two-thirds of the population of Maryland at that time--who had benefited by the religious toleration policies of Lord Baltimore.

Almost immediately after the take-over occurred, the subjugation of all Catholics began in Maryland. Justices and other public officials, even sheriffs and clerks, were replaced if they were Catholics. Arms and ammunition of most Catholics were confiscated. The very presence of any Catholic in St. Mary's City during the session of the Protestant Associators--the group that was to constitute the ruling body of Maryland for the next two years--was forbidden.

In 1692, an Act was passed which established the Anglican Church as the official church of the colony, and all residents were taxed to support the church. Catholics were excluded from public office, from voting, or even jury duty.

In 1704, the "Act to prevent the Growth of Popery within this Province" not only forbade all works of conversion but also closed all Catholic churches and schools in the province. Most of them still clung to their Faith, however, and practiced their religion privately, in their own homes. Many baptisms and marriages were recorded in the Anglican churches, usually with annotations that they were known Catholics

These restrictions on public worship and other persecution of Catholics continued through the colonial period, which extended to the American Revolution and the Bill of Rights.

Marylanders, both Catholic and Protestant, fought valiantly in the Revolution, and the newly-independent United States used the vast western domain which the English had won in the French and Indian War and ceded to the new American nation at the end of the Revolution, to reward those who served in the Continental Army and Navy. These western lands were also available to persons other than veterans, and between 1789 and 1799, nearly500,000 acres of undeveloped western land, most of it in what is today the States of Kentucky, Tennessee, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois, was offered as a means to promote settlement of the country's frontier.

Many of these western migrants were Maryland Catholics. Burdened by a century of anti-Catholic bias in Maryland, they sought not only new land but, once again, religious freedom. Even before the greatest migration began in 1789,Maryland Catholics were on the move.

In 1785, a group of southern Maryland residents formed a "Catholic League of Families" and agreed to move to Kentucky as soon as they could settle their affairs in Maryland. John Carroll, Archbishop of Baltimore, promised to send a parish priest if the emigrants settled together.

Another reason for the exodus of people from the Chesapeake Bay area to Kentucky was the depredation suffered by the citizens at the hands of the British during the Revolution. The British fleet, almost constantly presenting the Bay, confiscated slaves and stock, sacked homes and literally lived off the supplies plundered from the Maryland residents.

Economic reasons also figured in the exodus to Kentucky. Many farmers were ruined by the Revolution and lost their lands because they could not pay their debts. They saw migration to Kentucky as a way out of their economic woes.

St. Mary's County, alone, lost nearly 3,000 persons to the westward migration between 1790 and 1810. Most of these people went to that area of north-central Kentucky that now comprises Washington, Nelson, Marion and Hardin counties.

Because most of these people were Catholics, this area of Kentucky is known even today, as the Kentucky Holy Lands.