Haydon of Boughwood and Cadhay


Manor Home

Built in 1545
John Haydon
Most  of the Cadhay Manor photos below have been  furnished to me with
the kind courtesy of:
 Mr. O. William-Powlett of Cadhay Manor.


 Cadhay Manor, Ottery St. Mary, the ancient home of the Haydons

For your comparison next is an old actual Hayden photo from an 1887 visit.


     Cadhay is first mentioned in the reign of Edward I as a Sub Manor to the Manor of Ottery St. Mary held by a de Cadehay. The main part of the present house was built about 1550 by John Haydon who had married the Cadhay heiress. He retained the 'great hall' of the earlier house, of which the fine timber roof (1420-1470) can be seen. An Elizabethan Long Gallery was added by John's successor, his great nephew, Robert Haydon early in the 17th century, thus forming a unique and lovely courtyard. Robert Haydon had married Joan, the eldest daughter of Sir Amias Poulett of Hinton St. George.


          William Peere Williams acquired Cadhay in 1737 and made a number of alterations, providing some fine examples of Georgian architecture.


          W.C. Dampier Wetham restored Cadhay in 1911. Wherever possible he restored the work of John or Robert Haydon of the 16th and 17th century, but where the work of Peere Williams was the dominant he restored that instead.


         In 1924 the William-Powlett family came to Cadhay and they bought the property in 1935. The William-Powletts are descendants of the same family as Sir Amias Poulett. Complete history at end of pictures.


  Cadhay Manor and Gardens in  Springtime 
 The Old Fish Ponds with swans

Cadhay Manor side lawn view, Ottery St. Mary


Cadhay Manor getting ready for a wedding.





The next series of photos are courtesy of the Annette Haden family .


Portions of Cadhay are rented for weddings and partys so enjoy a visit.



     "John Haydon esquire,sometime bencher of Lincoln's Inn, builded at Cadhay a fair new house and enlarged his demesnes."

    'The above was written by Risdon in his "Survey of Devon" (1620).  John Haydon's fair new house was built in the middle of the sixteenth century and still stands, in  all essentials, unchanged. It was built on the site of an earlier house about which little is known.

    This story tells something of the families who have lived at Cadhay, gives a description of the architecture and the alterations over the centuries and finally some notes on  the heraldry'.

The Families who have lived at Cadhay

"The de Cadehayes

Cadhay is not mentioned in the Domesday Book. It appears first in the reign of Edward I as a sub-manor of the manor of Ottery St. Mary, held by a de Cadehayee). As was customary in those days, it probably consisted of one "hide" of arable land (256 acres) together with woodlands and common pastures which brought the total area to 380 acres, the extent of the property today. The de Cadehayes were evidently prominent people in the district; their name appears frequently as the lessor in leases of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. The branch of the family which owned and gave its name to Cadhay ended in an heiress, Joan, who rnarried a Hugh Grenefeld or Grenville(2). Their son and heir Robert died and his widow Elyn settled Cadhay on their daughter Joan on her marriage in 1527 to the John Haydon mentioned by Risdon, second son of Richard Haydon of Woodbury and Harpford, steward to Bishop Veysey of Exeter. Thus Cadhay passed to the Haydon family who were to occupy it for 200 years.

The Haydons, 1527 to 1736

John Haydon, a typical Tudor figure, was a successful lawyer and bencher of Lincoln's Inn. He was legal adviser to the City of Exeter. He was evidently well-to-do with a considerable private practice. After the suppression of the Monasteries by King Henry VIII he, in conjunction  with Sir George Carew, bought and sold dissolved Priories in Exeter and elsewhere. On his death he left considerable sums for charities in Exeter, Ottery St. Mary and Woodbury. At Ottery St. Mary, John Haydon was under-steward to the Manor with an annual fee of 20 shillings and legal adviser with a fee of £4.

    One does not know when John and his wife Joan entered into occupation of Cadhay but this was almost certainly before 1545. On the 28th May in that year, the Warden of Bishop Grandisson's College of Priests in Ottery St. Mary surrendered to Henry VIII.

(I) This information is recorded in the Cadhay Deeds which are deposited at the Exeter City Library vvhere they may be seen by those interested.

        (2) Inscription on John Haydon's tomb in Ottery St. Mary Church.

The King, by Royal Charter, made four local gentlemen Governors of the Church of St. Mary, which had previously been under the control of the Warden.   This charter was dated 24th December 1545. (1) John Haydon was one of these Governors and in building his house at Cadhay he seems to have made free use of the stone from the deserted College buildings.

            This same John Haydon and his wife built the bridge between Cadhay and Ottery, which said once to have borne the inscription “John and Joan built me, pray good people repair me.”

            John Haydon and his wife Joan had no children and, on his death in 1587, Cadhay passed to Robert Haydon a great-nephew. Robert Haydon, who also inherited several other family estates, married Joan, eldest daughter of Sir Amias Poulett (2) Privy Councillor to queen Elizabeth I, of Hinton St. George Somerset. Sir Amias Poulett was at one time Ambassador to the King of France and he was principal Keeper of Mary Queen of Scots from 1585 to her execution.  It is evident that we owe much of the interior decoration of Cadhay to this Robert Haydon.  After the days of Robert Haydon the house passed from father to son to a series of five Gideon Haydons.  A local tradition asserts that during the civil war, the Haydons, ardent Royalists, were continually at strife with some of the Roundhead inhabitants of Ottery St. Mary.  There are no records confirming this; but in 1649 a Nicholas Haydon of Ottery, presumably brother of the second Gideon to possess Cadhay, paid a fine of £,69, 4s, 6d, for “delinquency in adhering to the forces raised against Parliament”, while a Ralph Haydon of Farway was charged with “riding in Captain John Prideaux’s Troop against Parliament for a fortnight,” though he pleaded that “what he did was much against his will.”

(1)   John Haydon appears to have represented the people of Ottery St. Mary in drawing up this charter. The Governors were to be responsible for the maintenance of the fabric of the Church and various other buildings associated with it.  In 1552 Edward VI ordered the Governors to appoint “eight other of the most honest, best, discreetest, and quietest of the Parishioners to be associated for their assistance.” ‘This constitution continues to this day. The present owner of Cadhay is one of the Governors.

(2)   Sir Amias Poulett was a descendant of a Sir Thomas Paulet of Paulet, Somerset (fourteenth century), and an ancestor of the Present Earl Poulet, Sir Thomas’s younger brother William, is an ancestor of the Marques of Winchester.  It is through this latter branch of the family that the present owners get their name.

(3)   It is of interest that a record, preserved in the Church, of payment made by the people of Ottery St. Mary in respect of the tax levied in 1660 for the disbandment of the Cromwellian Army, shows that Gideon Haydon paid £10.0s,6d, a comparatively large sum;: his mother, Margaret  Haydon, widow, paid £3,6s,8d:his wife 6d: and his son 12d.

    The marriage settlement of the third Gideon Haydon of Cadhay (dated 28th Jan. 1660/1) mentions considerable properties and it is evident that, at this period, the Haydons had great possessions. But the revenues seem to have proved inadequate to support the extravagance with which they celebrated the Restoration.  However this may be, in 1682, within two years of the death of the second Gideon. a series of mortgages began, and in 1693, when the fourth Gideon Married, £17,000 was owed in addition to the mortgages.  Land had to be sold.  Soon only Cadhay remained and that estate was mortgaged.  Finally in 1736 Cadhay itself was sold for the first time.  It went, with full manorial rights, to a John Brown of Richmond.  During the two centiries which covered the Haydon occupation of Cadhay their name appears constantly in Ottery records-the Church Corporation, the ministration of the Feoffee Charity etc. The tomb of John Haydon and some of his descendants can be seen to the left of the Altar in the Church of St. Mary.

Peere Williams, 1737
    John Brown sold Cadhay at a profit in 1737 to William Peere Williams of Gray's Inn, second son of an eminent lawyer of the same name, author of "Reports."  Many law students of today must have read this work.
    It is clear by this time Cadhay House was in a bad state of repair and goodly sum had to be spent on it.  The new owner, while carrying out this work, made some drastic changes.  Although some may regret that he altered, in  some respects, the original character of the house, there is no doubt the work he did, carried out in the style of his time was very good.
    William Peere Williams was a Magistrate and undoubtedly played a prominent part in local affairs as the Memorial to him in Ottery Church bears out.  He died in 1766 but his wife Elizabeth (Seignoret) occupied Cadhay until her death in  1792.

Admiral Graves, 1792
    The property passed to a daughter and co-heiress, Elizabeth. She had married Admiral Graves of Thaneks, Cornwall.  That distinguished Naval Officer used Cadhay as a residence.  He cannot, however, have seen much of his new home for the first year or two except perhaps in the winter months when, in those days, weather called a halt to Naval Warfare.  The war of the French Revolution had broken out and Graves was flying his flag in the Royal Sovereign as Second-in-Command to Lord Howe.  He was serving in this capacity at the battle on the Glorioys First of June, 1794.  He would have been present in the Queen Charlotte, Lord Howe's flagship, when the fleet anchored at Spithead on return from this great victory and the King and Queen and Royal family went on board to honour Lord Howe.  He would have seen the King hang a gold chain around Lord Howe's neck and present him with a sword studded with diamonds.  For his own part in the victory Admiral Graves was raised to the Peerage.
    Lord Graves died at Cadhay in 1802.  His eldest daughter had married William Bagwell of Ashcott, Somerset, but she died shortly after her father and Cadhay became the property of the second daughter.  She had just married Thomas Hare of Stow Bardolph, Norfolk.  The furniture, however, went to William Bagwell; thus none of the original furniture remained in the house.

The Hares, 1802 to 1910
    After some hesitation the Hares decided not to live at Cadhay. The house was divided (1). The west end was adapted for occupation by the tenant of the farm, while the east end was let as a small residence.  In 1803 the tenant of the residence was a Mr. Palmer, Master of the Barracks then building in  Ottery St. Mary. Later it was long occupied by a Captain Collin, and Mrs. Collin lived there until 1909.
    The Hare family owned Cadhay until 1909 when Sir Ralph Hare, grandson of Sir Thomas, sold the property to Mr. W.C. Dampier Whetham, F.R.S.

Dampier Whetham, 1910 to 1935

    Mr. Whetham was a Fellow of Trinity College, Cambridge, where he was a lecturer and tutor for many years.  He was the author of a number of books on  scientific, agricultural, economic and sociological subjects (2).  He served on  several important government and national committees mainly to do with agriculture.  He was knighted in  1931 and took the name of Sir William Dampier.
(1) This was not the  first time the house was divided. The marriage settlement of the third Gideon Haydon reserved to his Grandmother all the rooms to the east of the Hall, half the use of the Hall and some of the outbuildings.  Again, shortly before the Haydons sold Cadhay, several of the West rooms and some land were let to a farmer.

(2) Mrs.Whetham and a daughter wsrote "A Manor Book of Ottery St. Mary."  This book includes "A note on the History of the Dependent Manor of Cadhay" Written by Mr. Whetham himself.  This has been of great assistance in  compiling this booklet.
When Mr. Whetham took possession, Cadhay was in a very bad state of repair. With the advice of the well-known architect, H. M. Fletcher, and under his direction, Cadhay house was carefully restored and put into a sound structural condition. To Mr. Whetham and his wife we owe the fact that the house stands today, as Lawrence Weaver wrote in an article in "Country Life", 13thJan. 1913, "four square on its ancient site, a typical example of our three greatest periods of English Building."
The Whethams did not occupy Cadhay for long, probably due to the fact that his work demanded his presence in Cambridge. The 3oo-acre farm, for which he built a separate farmhouse and cottages, was always let under his ownership and soon the house itself was let separately as a residence.


    In 1924 Major B. N. W. Willian~-Powlett entered into occupa­tion of the house as a tenant, and in 1935 purchased the 'whole property. On his death in 1953 the property passed to his eldest son, Captain N. J. W. William-Powlett, Royal Navy, and on his death in 1963, to his son, Mr. O. N. W. William-Powlett.


Cadhay is a Tudor manor-house a mile to the north-west of Ottery St. Mary. Approached by an avenue of limes it stands back from the road from Ottery St. Mary to Talaton. It is set in farmland and meadows, watered by the river Otter. Serene and tradition­al it reflects its quiet history.

The year in which John Haydon built this "fair new house" is not recorded, but he probably built it between 1546 and 1550. The suppression of the Scholastic Order in Ottery St. Mary took place in 1545; stones of undoubted ecclesiastical origin(1) were used in building the house. The assumption is that John Haydon made use of the stone from the demolished College buildings. He did not die until 1587, but it seems most likely that he built when the stone was newly available and he was in the prime of life.

(1) Fragments of such stone showing carvings of the thirteenth century 'were found embedded in the walls, windows and  chimneys when Mr.Whetham carried out extensive repair 'work in 1910.



   The house stands round a closed oblong courtyard, the longer sides being- those to the north and south. To the north of the court- yard the ground floor is mainly occupied by the dining-hall; to the east are the living rooms, and to the west the kitchen and service rooms; while the south side is formed, on the first floor, by the Long Elizabethan Gallery.

John Haydon's House

It ·would seem that John Haydon when he built the house left the south open and that the Long Gallery was added later; the masonry joints where the long gallery joins the east and west parts of the quadrangle are straight and there is a change in the roof structure. If this assumption is correct the chief entrance would have been the door in the north side of what is now the courtyard.

The fabric of the house generally is of Salcombe sandstone with dressings from the famous quarry of Beer which supplied stone for Exeter Cathedral. Probably the walls now forming the east, west and north faces of the courtyard were originally treated in the same way as is the east façade which is unchanged since John Haydon's time. The style of the house built by John Haydon can best be seen from the east facade where mullioned casement windows remain. As John Haydon left Cadhay, the hall on the north side was carried up two storeys to a splendid timber roof, which has survived only in a mutilated fashion. The windows were placed high in the wall; their jambs can be traced on the north wall of the courtyard and without; probably their leaded panes held stained heraldic glass commemorating the marriages of the Haydon family. At the west end of the hall Haydon doubtless set up a fair timber screen with a gallery over. Westward of the hall were the servants' quarters, and the great kitchen which probably occupied the space now divided into pantry, servants' hall and stores. To the east were the with­drawing-rooms, and above them the family sleeping apartments, reached by the circular stair in the turret on the east front. John Haydon left heraldic marks of his work in a bull and a lion carved in stone as finials for the east front gables. They appear again on his tomb which stands in Ottery Church on the north side of the altar.

Robert Haydon's additions

Robert Haydon who inherited from his great-uncle John in 1587 appears to have been bitten with a passion for decorative features which are a special mark of the architecture in the reigns of Queen Elizabeth I and her successor James,  This may have been the influence of his wife who probably spent her youth in more luxurious surroundings than the sub-manor of Cadhay, buried in the depth of Devon. With her father, Sir Amias Poulett, she would have seen something of the Court of Queen Elizabeth and may have accom­panied him when he was ambassador to the French King. Robert Haydon's work seems to divide itself into two periods. The fire­places in the dining-hall and in the Poulett bedroom are of a purely Gothic character, with flat arches surmounted by a frieze of tracery enriched by coats of arms. On both of them appear the three swords of the Pouletts. Unless we are to assume that John Haydon has these arms carved during his own lifetime because he knew that his great-nephew ·with his Poulett wife would succeed him-a very unlikely theory-this work must be of 1587 or later. It therefore stands out as an extraordinary example of the persistence of the Gothic tradition at a time when England was busy carving its mantelpieces in the crude Renaissance manner that came from the Low Countries.

The Long Gallery

When Robert Haydon next turned his hand to improving his house, it was to provide a long gallery-a feature of house building which we associate especially with the end of the sixteenth century. Tradition still held strong in the matter of external treatment, and the present south front was carried out with no marked departure in character from the work of John Haydon. So like is it, indeed, that we should be tempted to attribute it to John, but for the fact that such a feature as a long gallery is most unlikely to have been provided so early as 1550, and the evidence of the fabric shows that the south side is some years later than the rest of the building.

The Court of Sovereigns

Robert Haydon is almost certainly responsible for the interesting wall treatment of the court yard. The surface is patterned with an irregular chequering of sandstone and flint, which is quite different in treatment from the similar work common in East Anglia. Whether he built the south side soon after 1587, when the fireplaces were added, or not until later, the four statues of Henry VIII, Edward VI, Mary and Elizabeth, which stand over the doors in the courtyard, are work of 1617, for that date appears under the niche which shelters the figure of Elizabeth. Not only the statues but the architectural treatment of the niches and their elaborate ornament are very interesting. Though the name of the craftsman has not survived, we know at least that at the same date he wrought a similar monument in the tower of Talaton Church, only four miles away. Probably he was one of the class of itinerant carvers who worked over large districts.

The Court of Sovereigns, as it has been called, is probably the most striking feature of the house.

Peere Williams's Alterations (1737)

When William Peere Williams purchased the property in 1737 he almost certainly found the fabric of the house in considerable disrepair. However that may be, he decided on drastic changes, and did them naturally enough, in the architectural manner of his time.

Peere Williams's dining-room and subsequent alterations

The great hall with its open-timbered roof would have seemed to Peere Williams a barbarous survival, to be mitigated by inserting a floor. This gave him in the dining-room a flat ceiling with a big cove above the cornice. Probably he plastered over the Tudor fireplace, and put in front of it a Georgian mantelpiece with a coal ­burning grate. This, however, disappeared at the beginning of the nineteenth century when Thomas Hare divided Cadhay into a farmhouse and another small residence. During that unhappy stage of the House's fortunes the room became the kitchen of the residence, and a range was inserted. The jambs of the Gothic fireplace were hacked away somewhat to make room for it, but, fortunately, not so seriously as to make their repair a matter of conjecture; still more fortunately, the traceried heraldic frieze escaped damage. In 1910 Mr. Whetham restored the fireplace to the form in which Robert Haydon built it.

    If the Haydons had an oak screen and minstrels' gallery, these, of course had no place in Peere Williams's Georgian dining-room. A masonry arcade of three arches, with the square pillars encased in paneling, now separated this room from the entrance. Thus it was when Mr. Whetham had completed his restoration in 1911. The present owners, after twenty winters of icy draughts, filled in the archways and the dining-room took its present form.

Remember that none of this is original furniture

The Timber Roof  

    The timber roof {') of John Haydon's “Great Hall" has suffered considerably. Originally it had hammer--beams and curved braces. These were probably cut back to the principals by Peere Williams when he inserted the floor. Further damage was done when the house was divided; the space under the roof was partitioned into ill-lit and ill-ventilated attics to accommodate farm labourers.  Bu to enough remains to show its original form and despite its misfortunes it still remains a beautiful thing.  Mr. Whetham in 1910 wisely decided not to undertake any delusive restoration and no more was done to the chamber, which it now adorns, than to clear away the partitions and low ceiling which formed the attics.

 {') Some authorities assert that the timber roof is of an earlier date than 1515, and may have formed part of the earlier house built by the Cadehays.  The consensus of opinion, however, is that John Haydon built the roof to an earlier design. 

Peere Williams’s internal decorations.

Peere Williams plastered up most of the Tudor hearths through­out the house.  A number of these hearths were subsequently uncovered and restored to their Tudor form by Mr. Whetham.  A good example of one of the remaining Williams fireplaces can be seen in the drawing-roomThis paneled room, typically Georgian and a good example of that period, does much credit to Peere Williams’s work. 

Peere Williams’s external decorations.

Williams’s external changes did not extend much beyond the north front and the windows on three sides of the courtyard. The mullions of the windows were torn out to make way for big sliding sashes and slabs of stone inserted in the jambs, but the splay of the openings remains within, though hidden by Georgian paneling. Williams left the Tudor hood mouldings, which now rest on the wooden sash-frames.

The North Front

            The north front of the house is a mystery from the architectural standpoint.  It at first appears that Williams replaced the walling with a thin skin of Beer stone ashlar after cutting it back the depth of the new work; but on closer inspection there is little doubt that the north front was faced with Beer stone before the sliding sash windows were fitted.  The typical nineteenth-century shield and helmet on the centre of the north front must have been inserted by one of the Hares since the arms of that family appear on it.  Possibly it was the work of the second Hare to inherit, as he is known to have carried out considerable repair work on the house.  The notable thing about this north front is its general dignity and the treatment of the great chimney-stacks.

Dated top picture next is the Drawing-Room and the bottom picture is the Dining-Room Fireplace.

Nineteenth-century Wall
    It seems probable that the fine nineteenth-century brick wall wxtending north from the north-west corner of the house was the work of Thomas Hare, built, when he divided the house, to screen the farmyard from that part of the house and grounds let as a residence. (1)
Restoration by W. C. Dampier Whetham (1911)


          Anyone who knew Cadhay before 1910, when Mr. W. C. Dampier Whetham purchased it, would hardly recognize the house today.  Ordnance survey maps still show a range of buildings which then existed to the south of the present house, and an extension to the west built on by the Hares to form a kitchen for the farm.

            The buildings to the south consisted of a coach-house, three unsatisfactory cottages, granary, pigsties, etc.  In the nineteenth century there would have been five separate families living at Cadhay:-the farmer, the tenant of the residence and the three families occupying the cottages.  Mr. Whetham demolished all these buildings and built a farmhouse, cottages and some additional farm buildings at some little distance from Cadhay house.

            To the south of the house, where the coach-house and cottages had stood, he laid out a lawn stretching down to the large pond (*) with a view over Ottery St. Mary toward Sidmouth Gap.  He planted the Irish yews.

(1)        The front door of the residence was in the east front in the space now occupied by the window immediately north of the staircase turret, and most windows looked out to the east.  But the farmyard would have been in full view of the west windows of the northeast rooms.

(2)        The ponds at Cadhay may well be older than the house.  Although only seven miles from the sea, the journey in olden days would not have been an easy one and there would have been no regular supply of fish from that source.  The ponds were used for keeping fish, bred in the large one and fattened in the small.                 

    In Mr. Whetham’s conservative hands and those of Mr. H. M. Fletcher, Architect, the house itself was restored to its old structural strength.  Apart from uncovering the old Tudor open hearths; nothing was done beyond the needs of repair and adding modern equipment such as baths.

The fore-court to the Main  Entrance


            Externally, he built the north and east brick walls which, with the existing nineteenth-century wall to the west, now form a fore-court to the main entrance.

 Lead Tablet on East Front


            On the east front, in the niche, which probably once contained the Haydon arms, Mr. Whetham put up a tablet of cast lead with an inscription setting forth the history of the house.  In the corners are the arms of the four families Haydon, Williams, Hare and Whetham.  Although the Whetham family occupied the house for a brief period only, the name fully deserves its place among the others.  Without the magnificent work done by them the house might not have survived.

 Small alterations by present owners


The present owners have made no structural alterations to the house apart from the minor alteration to the dining room and fitting a door at the bottom of the circular stairs in the east wing.  Externally, Major B William-Powlett built the high wall to the south to add to the privacy of the lawns.  This wall is faced on the east side with the stones from the old cottages demolished by Mr. Whetham.  It is interesting to note the Poulett arms reappearing over the door in this wall.


1957 Repairs to Fabric


By 1956 considerable decay had occurred among the coping stones of the north front and to some of the chimneys.  With the assistance of a government grant, arranged by the Historic Buildings Council for England, the necessary repair work was carried out, the new stone required coming from the original quarries of Beer.  At the same time the brick walls of the forecourt of the main entrance were put in a sound structural state.


    The following notes on the various coats of arms etc., to be found at Cadhay are mainly copied from Mr. Whetham’s work on the subject.  The arms when originally carved were almost certainly coloured; heraldry is meaningless without colour.  Although the arms are not now coloured, these notes give the colours assigned to them.



North Front


            The arms displayed on the nineteenth-century shield and helmet in the center of the north front, now considerably decayed, were evidently recognizable when Mr. Whetham purchased the house in 1910.  He records the following:

            (Gules) two bars and a chief indented (or)-Hare-impaling (gules) an eagle displayed ducally crowned (or), on a canton (argent) an anchor (proper)-Graves-Quartering (gules) a demi-wolf, issuing from a rock on the sinister side (all argent)-Williams.

East Front

            The carved stone finials on the gables of the east front represent a bull and a bear.  These heraldic beasts, which were probably charges carried in saltire on the coat-of-arms of the old Cadehaye family, were borne in combination by John Heydon, as may be seen on his tomb in Ottery Church.

            On the lead tablet placed by Mr Whetham (1911) in the niche on the east front , the coats on the four corners are:-

                HAYDON-(argent)three bars gemelles (azure) on a chief (gules) a fesse indented (or)

WILLIAMS-Quartering (gyles) a demi-wolf, issuing from a rock on the sinister side (all argent)

HARE-(Gules) two bars and a chief indented (or)

WHETHAM – (argent) a cross potent throughout (sable) in the first and fourth quarters a martlet (gules)

The fleur-de-lys are introduced in  the design of the tablet to suggest the charges on the coat of Horr, Mrs. Whetham’s family.

South Front

Over the door in the high wall built by Major William-Powlett to the south of the house

in 1935.

POULETT- (Sable) three swords conjoined in pile (argent), pommels and hilts (or)




            Various crests have been used in the lead work.

                HAYDON-A lion (argent) preying on a bull (sable)

                HARE- A demi-lion rampant gorged with a ducal coronet (or)

                Also another crest; a demi-lion rampant (argent) holding a cross crosslet fitche’e     (gules)

GRAVES-a demi-eagle displayed and erased (or) encircled around his body and below the wings by a ducal coronet (argent).



Dining Hall


On the chimney piece which is attributed to Robert Haydon are six coats of arms.  These are shown below reading from left to right, together with Robert Haydon’s connection with the family concerned.


(1)   (Sable) three swords conjoined in pile (argent), pommels and hilts (or) –Poulett, his wife.

(2)   (Gules) three clarions (or-Grenville, his great uncle’s wife.

(3)   (Gules) on a bend (argent) three trefoils slipped (vert)- HARVEY, his wife’s mother.

(4)   (argent) a chevron (gules) between three coot s (proper)-SOUTHCOTT, his son’s wife’s mother.

(5)   (Argent) three bars gemmelles (azure) on a chief (gules) a fesse indented (or)-HAYDON,

(6)   (or) four chevronels (gules0-EVERY, his daughter’s Husband.

The Poulett Bedroom


      On the chimney piece the arms of Poulett appear again together with Pouletts’s impaling Kenn, “erminois three crescents”. (A nephew of Robert Haydon’s wife married a Kenn).



The little green man of the woods:


      On either side of three chimney pieces appear small carvings representing a rather

Grotesque head of a man with foliage protruding from the mouth.  Each chimney piece shows a different version.   This figure is believed to represent “the little green man of the woods.”  It is sometimes seen in old houses in the eastern counties but it is unusual so far west as Devon.  It is a relic of ancient superstition and the little man is credited with bringing happiness and fruitfulness to the house he adorns.


Both floors of Cadhay. To improve the viewing size,hold down the control button at bottom left key board at same time use the roller wheel with your right hand and then release at your favorite  sweet spot.