Three Rivers Haunts & History 

page 2

 

The legends, lore, and ghost tales of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Lawrence, Washington & Westmoreland counties. 

For the tale of the week, visit

Haunts & History Blog

Send your comments or your own stories to

Haunts & History

BUSHY RUN BATTLEFIELD (Harrison City/Jeannette, Westmoreland County) This 213 acre park preserves the site where Colonel Henry Bouquet defeated Pontiac in the turning point of Pontiac's War during August, 1793. The victory at Bushy Run saved Fort Pitt and kept the English gateway to western expansion open. The victory came at a high cost. Bouquet lost 50 of his 400 troops, and one decided to stay. The ghost of a Scottish Highlander killed in action can still allegedly be spotted roaming the woodline of Edge Hill, near the monument that marks the battle site.  The legend is that anywhere Scotsmen fight, you can hear bagpipes play on the anniversary of the battle. And you do at Bushy Run, albeit live ones that play during the battle's reenactment every year. The Shadowlands

BUTLER FREEPORT TRAIL (Summit Twp., Butler Co.) The Butler Freeport Trail is 16 miles of reclaimed "Rails to Trail" pathway.  It's said that you can hear the laughter of children along the lane at night.  And, off course, being an old RR right of way, the trail leads to some unused track where it's been reported that the headlights of a ghost train can be seen roaring down the line.  The CPSI team went to investigate, and though they didn't hear the kids or see the train, one of their members had his shirt tugged on while he was there.  Their opinion - definitely spooky and worth a further look.  CPSI

BYERS-LYON MANSION (Allegheny West, Pittsburgh)  Alexander Byers made his fortune in iron piping and had a huge home designed with two separate wings.  Like any proper Pittsburgh robber baron of the era, he had his mansion built along Ridge Avenue's "Millionaires Row" in 1898.  He, his wife and their children occupied one side, while his daughter Maude and her husband, John Lyon, and their children lived on the other.  Maude was an activist of the times, and often left her daughter in the care of a nanny, which irked her dad no end.  A woman's place and all that...   In 1902, Byer's 4-year old granddaughter died when she crawled atop a skylight and fell to her death when the glass broke, as her German nanny napped.  The next day, the nanny hung herself from the stairwell.  It's said in one version of the tale that the ghost of the little girl watched her as she did the dastardly deed.  Before she tied the noose, she wrote “Please don't blame me” in the dust on the stairwell (apparently the cleaning lady was no more conscientious than the nanny.)  Byers never spoke to his daughter after that, blaming Maude for leaving the child in the care of a nanny instead of watching her herself.   There have been many sightings of the girl and the sounds of her crying.  The nanny has also been spotted, running up the stairs or walking hand-in-hand with the little girl.  Sometimes the "thud" of her falling body can be heard.  And every time the house is cleaned, the nanny's message is seen again, scrawled in the dust.  The 90-room manse is now Byers Hall, Community College of Allegheny County's student union building and admin offices.  When CCAC removed the skylight in 1990, sightings of the granddaughter ceased.  But the nanny is still around, paying an eternal penance for one brief moment of inattention.  (Pittsburgh Tribune Review “The Nanny,” October 29, 1997) Byer-Lyons Ghosts

CAFE VICTORIA (Allegheny West, Pittsburgh) The house on 946 Western Avenue was a three story, single family home, built in the 1850's. The upper floors feature the specter of an elderly lady and her cat, sometimes together, sometimes separately. In the restaurant, the spirit of a middle aged man dressed in turn of the century outfits wanders around, having different set routines for day and night. The staff will often find the silverware crossed in an X pattern; they also hear the laughter of children throughout the house and a man's voice calling them by name when the cafe was deserted. It's now a restaurant called “Ugly Duckling Gourmet Edibles.” Haunted Cafe Victoria

CALIFORNIA UNIVERSITY OF PA. (California, Washington County) CUP started out as an Academy in 1852, and earned its' spurs as a Normal School in 1869.  It became a teacher's college in 1928, a regular college in 1959, and finally an university in 1983.  It has its' priorities straight, too - the campus is 90 acres, the athletic complex, 98 acres.  Spooks and sports are the Vulcan's favorite passions.

  • Binns Hall: A long time ghost of the hall was recently experienced by two contractors who were remodeling the dorm. Students believe the spirit is of an old dorm mother who is still keeping an eye out for her boys. They report seeing a lady in the halls or in their room.
  • Old Main: College founder Job Johnson got out of his deathbed in 1868 to check on the progress of Old Main's construction. Satisfied, he died later the same day. Old Main was completed in 1870, and the Colonial Revival style building was the first to go up on campus. It's allegedly haunted, perhaps by Johnson himself.
  • Johnson Hall: This hall was named after town & college founder Job Johnson, who helped establish CUP in 1852. It was built in 1951 and torn down in 2003, but one of the halls that replaced it was just rededicated as Johnson Hall in 2007. The old hall was said to be haunted.
  • McCloskey Hall: Built in 1963, it was razed a few years ago. It was reportedly haunted before it's demolition.
  • Steele Auditorium: The students report that the ghost of Dr. Steele can be seen walking around the auditorium. The home of the Cal Theater & Dance was built in 1955. It was named after Dr. Robert Steele, the long time president of the University, serving from 1928-1952. He'll have a much nicer hall to stroll through now that his auditorium has been renovated.

California University of Pennsylvania Virtual Campus Tour

All CUP references are from the Pittsburgh Tribune Review “Cal U Professor Investigates The Paranormal,” November 19, 2006, interview with Dr. Rene Kruse.

CAMPBELL HOUSE (Finleyville, Washington County) This house got off to a bad start – Robert Campbell started building it in 1806, but was crushed against a tree before he could finish it. It took his widow, Sarah, three more decades to get tired of the log cabin life and finish the house in 1839. The current owners count at least two spirits in the home. One is playful, tickling feet and tapping shoulders. The other stays in the attic. It once trapped the family pooch up there, which had as a rule avoided going upstairs (now we know why.)  The spook locked the attic door on the pup - from the inside. (Pittsburgh Post Gazette “Houses With Stories To Tell: Playful Spirits, Original Details Bring Houses Around Finleyville To Life,” July 28, 2007)

CAMPBELL'S RUNS ROAD (Harmar Twp., Allegheny County) There are two places of interest off Campbell's Run Road, aside from the Thirteenth Bend. The first is in the woods at the end of the road, where three hunters died. Sometimes they allegedly appear as large floating orbs, and sometimes as footless spirits. The other is the Trail, which leads to a deserted mine where three miners died. During the day, it's reported that their lifelike ghosts will walk past you, and even acknowledge you.  Then they disappear. Ghost & Hauntings Research Society

CARLOW UNIVERSITY (Oakland, Pittsburgh) Carlow was founded in 1929 by the Sisters of Mercy as a girl's college; it's still predominantly female. Room 947 is supposedly haunted by a misty apparition, accompanied by scratching sounds and lights going on and off.  At ten stories, Carlow's Dougherty Hall, built in 1966 and named for Mother Irenaeus Dougherty, co-founder and president of Mount Mercy (Carlow's predecessor) is the only dorm tall enough to fit the bill. The Shadowlands

CARNEGIE FREE LIBRARY (Carnegie, Allegheny County) Some believe the library, built in 1902, is haunted by a spirit named Ann. The lights go on and off, and a piano is heard playing. The teens taking art classes in the library's basement won't go upstairs to the library proper for fear that they'll run into her. She's alleged to be an opera singer or perhaps ballerina who was murdered in the library by a rejected lover. Folks have reported seeing her spook, heard her crying in the building, or more eerily, screams from the dressing room. It would fit; the library is part of a cultural complex that includes an early Carnegie Music Hall. (Pittsburgh Tribune Review “Ann of the Opera,” October 29, 1997)

CARNEGIE FREE LIBRARY (Connellsville, Fayette County) The library has been serving Connellsville since 1901, and many think that there are more than books in the building: try apparitions, footsteps, orbs, mists and flying books. There are also reportedly spirits haunting the stacks as the library was built on the old Connell Graveyard, the burial ground of immigrants including city founder Zechariah Connell. It's even said that when the bodies were relocated to Chestnut Hill Cemetery, the tombstones (and perhaps some of the bodies) didn't move with them, but were stored in the basement, another incentive for the spirits to remain. There's a story of a library employee who one night saw a women with a babushka on her head staring out a window,. Afraid someone had been locked in the library, the staffer went into the library trying to find the woman, but the building was empty. Others speculate that the spirit of Sally Seaton, who was the Connellsville librarian for 55 years in the early 1900s, has never left. The library has a photo of apparitions hovering around the main desk. The Pittsburgh Paranormal Society checked the library, and came away convinced that it was "tremendously haunted." It's also part of the video, “Haunted States of America: the Carnegie Free Library,” produced by Christopher Nicholson. (Daily Courier "Celebrating Halloween With the Connellsville Carnegie Free Library," October 18, 2012, and Ceane O'Hanlon-Lincoln's book "County Chronicles")

CARNEGIE LIBRARY OF HOMESTEAD & MUSIC HALL (Munhall, Allegheny County) Built in 1896 by Andrew Carnegie - and not all that welcome a gift by many of the strike-broken citizens of the Steel Valley - the Carnegie Library attracts more than bookworms. Who else is there? How about a bevy of spirits? Some say it’s Carnegie himself or his millworkers, still dressed in their work clothes. Others suspect a janitor, Robert Peebles, who drowned in the pool in the late 1800s "under mysterious circumstances," according to the Homestead Messenger. A staffer saw a shadow moving in the back steps of the old music hall in the library, and shadows of spirits are commonly seen and heard in the seats. There's also poltergeist activity, like books flying off their shelves or switching stacks, doors opening and closing on their own and mysterious voices heard throughout the building, both male and female. The Syfy series “Ghost Hunters” visited the library in 2011, and they reported hearing the voices of ladies giggling in the basement locker room. The library hosted a "Ghost Walk" the following year. Examiner

CARNEGIE LIBRARY (Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh) Rule of thumb number #1 – do NOT build something over a cemetery! But some people never learn. In 1814, the Lawrenceville Burying Grounds opened as a cemetery for veterans & their families. By 1881, Lawrenceville needed the land to build a school and library. The bodies were supposed to be reburied elsewhere, but the workmen building the structures kept turning up bones and caskets as they dug, eventually burying the remains of 70 or so souls in a mass grave on the northern edge of the land. Naturally, the spooks became restless. The janitors refused to work the night shift because of the ghostly groans they heard. The spirit of a child is supposed to roam the library, thought by many to be that of young Henry Snowden, who died at the tender age of fifteen months. His body was claimed by his parents before the work started and was properly reburied at Allegheny Cemetery, but his gravestone remained and is exhibited in the library. The head librarian buys none of this, having never seen the spirit and crediting the spooky cacophony in the basement to old pipes and radiators, not unusual in an aging building. Either way, it's hardly any way to treat the dead.  (Pittsburgh Post Gazette "For Decades, Lawrenceville's Library Basement Has Concealed A Mystery," October 23, 2003)  Lawrenceville Library's Most Famous Tombstone - Jeff Belanger

CARNEGIE MAIN LIBRARY (Oakland, Pittsburgh)  A city judge use to haunt the halls of the library after it opened in 1895, often being seen among the stacks. He also chose to leave his mark there in death, too. The magistrate hanged himself in the building in the early 1900's. Hizzoner didn't leave a note - until a bit later. Soon after he was found and his body was removed, the staff reported seeing writing on the ceiling, near the level of a hung man. It said "sentio est hic" - Latin for “The judge is here.” Presumably, he still is. The tale is part of the Haunted Pittsburgh ghost tours. (The Pitt News "Oakland Most Haunted ‘Hood" October 17, 2010)

CARNEGIE LIBRARY (Mt. Washington, Pittsburgh) Opened in 1900, the Coal Hill library is a stop on the Pittsburgh Ghost Tour. Their tale goes that the library is home to a group of "friendly patrons who've crossed over to the other side, but who still hang out at the library they once called home. The Library (also) happens to sit directly above the cursed Wabash Tunnel." They count seven spooks among the shelves, and have some photographic evidence of them.  Pittsburgh Ghost Tours

CASINO THEATER (Vandergrift, Armstrong County) The Greek Revival style Casino Theater was built in 1900, closed its' doors in 1981, and then was spiffed up and reopened in 1995. There have been sightings of moving objects in the balcony windows, lights going out, and whistling noises. Whether this is caused by spirits – theaters do attract their share of them - or a creaky building is anyone's guess. The Shadowlands

CENTRAL VFD (Elizabeth Twp., Allegheny County) In 1955, volunteer firefighter Albert McKenery was killed during a blaze. But he's loyally stayed on duty ever since. He haunts the firehouse, keeping the lights on (whether you want them on or not!) and is sometimes seen running to a firetruck, coat draped over his shoulder, when a call comes into the station. They named the social hall after him, although no mention of his ongoing duty is made by the Central VFD web site. Ghost & Hauntings Research Society

CENTURY INN (Scenery Hill, Washington County) Established in 1794 as Hill's Tavern, the historic Century Inn is allegedly haunted. The spirit of former owner Gordon is said to play pranks on the help and lead guests on tours.  There's one downstairs room that's always cold, and the innkeeper can't keep the door to it locked. There are knocks on the door, and the misty shape of someone outside can be seen, but is always gone by the time anyone arrives.  A kindly, matronly woman used to get the guests in Room 2 blankets and drinks; she was a guest herself until she died in the 1800s.  Her spirit was finally released by a psychic.  There have also been one-way footprints seen in the snow leading away from an upstairs room, down the hill, and then disappearing.  These tales are told in Heather Frazier's Pittsburgh Ghosts: Steel City's Spirits.

CHAINTOWN (Dawson, Fayette County) Back in the day, it's said that when a prisoner got too weak to work on the chain gang, the law took them to Chaintown, and shot them. The spirits of the prisoners supposedly still haunt the area. It's located across the tracks and under a RR trestle off Chaintown Road.  PA Legends

CHAPEL ROAD FARMHOUSE (Center Twp., Beaver County) In the 1890's, a newly wed couple moved into a farmhouse to set up housekeeping. The house had an iron gate, and every night it opened and closed itself with a loud creak. When the couple looked out the door, no one was in sight. This went on for months, until a snowy night near Christmastime. The gate opened as usual, but this time it was followed by a knock on the door. They opened it, and there was a tall figure in a black cloak. “My God, it's a man,” the wife blurted. At those words, the spirit cowered, backed off the porch, and disappeared into the blizzard, never to be seen again. The gate stayed shut after that, too. The young couple figure that they exorcised the specter when the wife unintentionally invoked the name of God. Ghosts

CHATHAM UNIVERSITY (Shadyside, Pittsburgh) The all woman's Chatham opened it's doors in 1869 when it was the Pennsylvania Female College.  It's first building was the largest private residence in Allegheny county at the time, the George Berry mansion.  In 1959, it became Chatham College.  It has one college for women, and the other two are coed.  It has some of the more historic homes in Pittsburgh incorporated into its' campus.

  • Benedum Hall (“Graystone”): Originally, this was the home of The Great Wildcatter, oilman Michael Benedum and his wife Sarah, along with their son, Claude. Claude fell hard for the family maid, Maude. His parents disapproved, of course, and sent him off to the Army. He died of pneumonia while in uniform in 1918 at the age of 20, and Maude joined him in the afterlife soon afterwards. It's said that they can be heard together in the house. It became a dorm in 1960, and the mischievous Claude was known to pull the covers off sleeping students. A more malicious story involves Michael, who was said to be involved with a maid from the Rea household (more on them later) and got her pregnant. The enraged Sarah hung the maid from the Benedum's chandelier and tore the baby from her. It's said that sometimes you can still see the maid hanging from the chandelier in her black outfit, feather duster in hand. Sadly for spook lovers, the college sold the Benedum property in 1986 and it's now the site of antiseptic town houses and condos.
  • Berry Hall: Now the admissions office, the building was once used as a dorm. It was built as a private residence in 1895. Students could hear the cries of children, and the speculation is they were youngsters that died while living in the house before the college took it over.
  • Fickes Hall: Built in 1927, it was the residence of Edwin Stanton Fickes of Alcoa fame before becoming a dorm in 1946. It's ghosts include a woman that committed suicide by jumping out of a window (a pair of readers said that she was talked back into the room, casting some serious doubt on that particular theory), and the third floor is haunted by the spirit of a boy who fell out of a window. The main spook, though, is thought to be Fickes, who lived there and returns to his old suite of rooms, rustling through desks and closets and jumping in bed with the coeds, although Mellon's son lived there, too.  One student related this tale:  She had been alone in her room one evening when she went to bed.  Soon, she began to hear rustling sounds, as though someone was in her room, shuffling through the papers on her desk.  She began to hear rustling being emitted from her closet, and she felt something moving across the floor.  Then, the intruder stood next to her bed, although she thought perhaps it was lying next to her.  She kept her back turned so that she wasn't facing it, and "laid in bed for ten minutes," before she took action.  She got up, saw that her front door was locked and dead bolted and that her closets were closed.  However, the bathroom door that connects the two rooms was swung open.  She was certain that she closed her bathroom door, and the bathroom door that leads into the adjacent room was also open. 
  • Gymnasium: The lights stay on, even after you've shut them off. The athletic director isn't sure if the cause is electrical problems or just a friendly ghost keeping the gym open.
  • Laughlin House: The house was built in 1912, and it's now a dormitory. The grapevine had it that James Laughlin or James Rea hung themselves there. (They didn't. Julia Rea and Laughlin had a rumored affair, but it didn't end in anyone's suicide, just some red faces.)  Laughlin House (Its' namesake is one of Jones & Laughlin Steel's founders, and grandfather of noted American poet James) is supposed to be the eeriest place at Chatham. Students can sense, rather than actually see, ghosts. The spirits manifest themselves somewhat traditionally, slamming doors, turning different devices on and off, opening and closing windows, & rearranging clothes and shoes. Some feel that the long ago affair cast a pall over the house that lasts to this day.
  • Mellon Center: Built in 1887, Andrew W. Mellon lived there for 20 years. There's a pool and bowling alley in the basement, and Mellon doesn't want to share them with the students, so he tries to scare them off. He's been seen walking across the pool (now closed and used as a boiler room), but most of the sightings are in the bowling alley. Students can hear Mellon and Henry Clay Frick talking and listening to music. You can smell cigar smoke, and if the alley's closed, can see the smoke coming out from behind the shut door. If you do bowl, the room is often cold. The pins get into the act, too, sometimes resetting themselves so you can bowl another frame. There's some unspecified ghostly going-ons on the third floor. It's also said that the eyes of the portrait of Andrew Mellon in the lobby follow you around.
  • Rea House: This was also built in 1912. The ghost of a maid that had an affair with Andrew Mellon, or maybe Claude Benedum, makes her presence felt in the dorm. (No one's certain which one she did the dirty deed with. What is known is that she ended the affair by hanging herself in the dining room. We're not sure if she was the same maid hung in Benedum Hall or not. If so, same ending, different house.) Allegedly, a woman's ghost walks through the front windows. There are also reports of crying babies, windows that never close, and some poltergeist type activity.
  • Woodland Hall: This is where Chatham's most famous spirit lives, the “Blue Lady of Woodland Hall”. Students wake up with the vision of a woman hovering above them, dressed in a blue chiffon dress. But she shares the spotlight with the ghost of a young boy, who once grabbed a hapless student by the ankle while imploring her to play with him. The specter had a good grip; he left a bruise on her ankle. His haunt, the fourth floor, is always cold.

As you read these tales, if you question how people from different mansions managed to meet discreetly, the answer is tunnels. Andrew Mellon, a lover of privacy, had the various residences connected by underground tunnels that are said to be wide enough to drive a carriage through, although one reader said the tunnel only extended from Benedum to Fifth Avenue. And they kept the back seat warm for the maids...

The school has held an annual Chatham Ghost Walk since 2005 to explore the haunted history behind Chatham’s residence halls.

Chatham College Virtual Tour

(Chatham College references are cited from the Chatham College Communique' “Haunted Happenings at Chatham College, Parts 1 & 2”, November 8 & 29, 2000; “Ghost Stories of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County,” Beth Trapani & Charles Adams III )

CHESSIE THE CAT (Mars, Butler County) A small cat was the mascot for the Mar's Baltimore & Ohio train station (built in 1897) in the early years of the 19th century. Then one day the puss disappeared, and its' distraught owner never could find it. Now the story jumps ahead to the year 2000, when the station was being moved across the tracks. In the old foundations, workmen found the mummified body of a kitty. Talk about letting the cat out of the bag!  Since then, paw prints have been found tracking across the floor & meows can be heard in the relocated structure.  Every so often someone catches a glimpse of the kitten before it vanishes into a corner.  Even before the renovation, folk reported hearing a cat and seeing one sitting in the abandoned station's main window.  It's been said that the kitty, nicknamed Chessie after the defunct Chesapeake & Ohio RR, comes out of the ground from the site of the old station and crosses the tracks to the new one, looking for it's long lost owner. The building is now a museum, maintained by the Mars Historical Society.  We sure hope they leave Chessie a nice foamy bowl of cream.  The Shadowlands

CHIPPEWA BURIAL GROUNDS (New Castle, Lawrence County) The Chippewa burial mounds were disturbed by development, and the Native Americans have been seen walking their old burial grounds at night ever since, with especially heavy activity during the full moon. Sightings include four different warriors, two women, and a young child. This is a tough one to check. Chippewa's were uncommon in this area, being a midwest Great Lakes tribe. Most local Indians were Delawares or Iroquois Confederacy tribes like the Shawnees, although the ancient mounds of the Adena were found occasionally in the area. The court's out on this one. The Shadowlands

CHURCH BREW WORKS (Lawrenceville, Pittsburgh) On June 1, 1902 the cornerstone of St. John the Baptist Church on Liberty Avenue was laid. But the City lost people over the decades, and many of its parishes went by the wayside.  On the 6th of August, 1993, the church was put under an act of suppression by the Bishop of Pittsburgh.  It reopened in 1996 as the Church Brew Works, a microbrewery, bar and restaurant.  At least one pastor didn't desert his old home, though.  Visitors have spotted a phantom priest roaming around the former choir lofts of the Works. Maybe he's tending the altar in perpetuity, or maybe he's just displeased that the church is now a brewery.  (Pittsburgh Tribune Review "Pittsburgh Tours Continue the Frights Through November," November 7, 2009)

CIDER PRESS ANTIQUES (Harmony, Butler County) Sally's Cider Press was once a barn; now the three story building is a vintage shop. Paranormal activity included hearing footsteps and knocking on doors when nobody was present, objects being moved from one location to another with no explanation, a rocking horse rocking while nobody was on it, and a bottle turning by itself on a shelf. Two young children were killed by a semi truck on the busy highway directly in front of the building and it is believed that their spirits may be responsible for much of the activity that has taken place inside. Steel Town Paranormal  

CIVIC ARENA (Lower Hill, Pittsburgh) The Pittsburgh Civic Arena (now called the Mellon Arena, and due to be replaced by a spanking new building soon) was built in the 60's, and resulted in the demolition of a thriving neighborhood to clear the acreage needed for its' construction. At night, the Civic Arena is said to fill with the sounds of people, trolley cars, and traffic of the bygone community. The Great One, Mario Lemieux, has even been reported to have seen a 1920's character roaming the halls. And while a great story, I worked at the Arena – mostly night shift, too – for years, and never ran across this phenomena, or even a good spooky story associated with the place.  Juicy groupie stories, yes, juicy ghost tales, no. The Shadowlands

CLAYTON HOUSE (Point Breeze, Pittsburgh) Henry Clay Frick and his wife Adelaide moved into the Victorian mansion in 1883, and lived there while raising 4 children until moving to the Big Apple in the early 1900s. Their youngest daughter, Helen, was especially attached to the residence. She visited often after going to New York, paid for its' upkeep, and moved back to Clayton for the last few years of her life. (She died in 1984, at the ripe old age of 96.) She willed the property to the City, which since 1990 has operated the landmark estate as an art & historical center. Henry Clay Frick's 1914 Silver Ghost Rolls Royce is on display there, among other things. Since then, guards have reported someone walking around the third floor of the house. Some people think it's Helen, checking on her girlhood home. But other observers have seen a depression in Adelaide's bed occasionally, leading them to believe that she's also haunting the mansion to keep her claim as the Frick's alpha female. Ah, a mother and child reunion. Others say you can see a child's funeral wake in the parlor, the Frick children playing in their room, and people in their vehicles arriving for a grand soirée. About Pittsburgh - Clayton   The Shadowlands

CLEMENTE'S PREMONITION (Pittsburgh) The Great One, Roberto Clemente, had always had a premonition that he would die youngHe had told his wife Vera over and over that his time on earth would be limited.  But before his death at 38 in a plane crash delivering relief supplies to Nicaragua on New Year's Eve, 1972, he was forewarned by his son, who told him "Daddy, don't go on that plane.  It's going to crash." Ironically, his son didn't know that his famous father was even planning a plane trip.  Lose a great ballplayer, gain a legend.  This story was reported by WTAE-TV.

CLINTON SCHOOL (Saxonburg, Butler County) Students of the Deer Creek Road school claim to have heard moans and seen ghostly white figures in the building. The school is closed and at last report used as a restaurant warehouse, but that hasn't deterred the spooks. The current owner says he's seen figures of a boy and girl hugging in the old third grade classroom! Nothing lasts forever like your first love. The school perches atop a hill, and one former student describes the building as “a cross between a prison and a church – and it was.” The Shadowlands 


Page 1   Page 3   Page 4   Page 5   Page 6   Page 7   Page 8   Page 9   Page 10   Page 11   Page 12   Home

Conemaugh    Erie/I-80    Freedom's Corner    PA Dutch    Pocono    Gettysburg/Happy Valley