Three Rivers Haunts & History 

The legends, lore, and ghost tales of Allegheny, Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Fayette, Greene, Lawrence, Washington & Westmoreland counties. 


For the tale of the week, visit Haunts & History Blog 

Send your comments or your own stories to History & Haunts

SAGAMORE HOTEL (Sagamore, Armstrong County) This 60 room hotel was built in 1903 by William Hayes for the Buffalo and Susquehanna Railroad when Sagamore was a booming coal town and was last used as a tavern housed in the converted grand ballroom. The second floor was reportedly residually haunted by the scene of a husband and wife arguing violently while a little girl watched from outside the apartment. It was investigated, but we'll never get to the bottom of this tale – the building, the last historic structure in this small town straddling Armstrong and Indiana counties, burned to the ground in 2005. Allegheny Mountain Ghost Hunters

ST. BARNABUS' GHOST (Baldwin, Allegheny County) In the late 1800's, Schuette Town, now Baldwin Borough, built a schoolhouse for coal miners' children. The building was demolished decades ago, last being used as a homeless shelter back in 1905. The local kids used to play around the deserted home, and said they were visited one day by a ghost – a tall, dark man dressed in black. They also said that the St. Barnabus steps would creak, as if someone was walking up and down them. In fact, there are reportedly documents in the Baldwin library that mention that the building was haunted, with a map. Five homeless people died at St. Barnabus while it was in operation. Was one of them visiting his last residence? Or, as the daughter of one of the boys who saw the apparition suspects, did they see a priest, whose Roman outfit would be completely alien to them in their Protestant community? (South Hills Record, “Ghost Stories Lurk In the South Hills”, October 31, 2002)

ST MARTINS CHURCH (New Derry, Westmoreland County) St. Martins and its adjoining cemetery date back to at least the mid-1850s.   Its grounds are reported haunted by a lady dressed in black, with long white hair, a wrinkled face - and no eyes!  Ghosts of America

ST. MICHAEL'S CHURCH (Elizabeth Twp., Allegheny County) The church, built in 1851, was padlocked by the Diocese in the 1980's because of its' deteriorating condition. Reportedly, the inside is in shambles after a couple of decades of neglect, but the altar, covered by a century old Irish linen, is still in immaculate condition. The church windows kept their original colors well, except for the saints, whose depictions have turned black. St. Michael's statue over the main door to the church is said to sport a shield that's become battleworn since the closing and a sword that has dried blood on it. Did time and neglect take its' toll on the church or are the spirits showing their displeasure at the bishop's sudden shuttering? The church wasn't finally locked until 1988, after the parishioners fought its' closing through the courts and took their case to the Vatican, so their spiritual attachment to the building is unquestioned. Maybe that's why it's so hard for the members and the specters to let it go. The Shadowlands

ST. NICHOLAS CROATIAN CHURCH (Millvale, Allegheny County) Famed Croatian artist Max Vanka was commissioned to paint a mural in Saint Nicholas Church in 1937. Vanka liked to work alone and at night (can you see where this is leading?), and one evening heard barking dogs outside the church, and a strange clicking sound coming from the altar. The clicking turned into a loud knocking, and an evil looking spirit dressed in black with a bony, blue face appeared, walking down the aisle. The frightened Vanka rushed to tell the pastor, Father Zagar. The good father had heard prior rumors of the “Millvale Apparition” from his parishioners, and agreed to stay with him the next night. The same thing happened, except only Vanka could see the spook (artist's sensitivity, we suppose), although the priest could hear the sounds and saw the eternal flame had been snuffed out. Vanka drew a picture of the apparition he saw, an old man in a hood.  Father Zagar surmised that the ghost was a former pastor under whose watch the original wooden church had burned down, Father Ranzinger, who was also suspected of having sticky fingers around the collection basket. The pastor commanded the spirit out. Some say St. Nicholas has been free of that specter ever since, but others believe it's still around.  This made quite a few books, including Ghost Stories of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County by Beth Trapani & Charles Adams III, Ghosts I've Met by Hans Holzer, and Devils, Ghosts and Witches: An Anthology of Occult Folklore of the Upper Ohio Valley by George Swetnam. (Pittsburgh Post Gazette “The Next Page 'Contemplate World-Famous Croatian Murals While Ghost Hunting,'” August 27, 2007; In Pittsburgh “Tales From Pittsburgh's Dark Side,” October 28, 1993)

ST. PATRICK'S CEMETERY (Oakdale, Allegheny County) Reports of a child playing “peek-a-boo” with visitors, growling noises, physical discomfort, and cold spots are associated with this graveyard, located on a hilltop backed by woods. The CPSI Paranormal team investigated the spot and found no anomalies that couldn't be explained. They saw swings in a nearby yard - that explains the child playing “peek-a-boo”. They heard neighborhood dogs barking – there's the source of the evil growling. And cold spots and discomfort? Well, isn't that how a cemetery is supposed to make you feel? Dang, looks like another spookless graveyard. Spirits Of The Mist

ST. VINCENT COLLEGE (Latrobe, Westmoreland County) Benedictine Brother Wimmer from Bavaria founded St. Vincent in 1846.  It's famous for hosting the Steelers in August and spooks all year 'round.

Aurelia Hall: Girls using a ouija board contacted a spirit named Henry. They asked him to give them a sign he was real. It took him a while, but when the girls went to bed that night, their floor length mirror flew off the door and shattered against the opposite wall. Not only did they get the scare of their life, but seven years bad luck, too. They apologized to Henry for rousing him, but just to make sure, they slept in friends' rooms for the next few evenings. However, some stories persist that Henry still shows up, as a glowing red face.  Another girl found an empty leather bag in her room, and gave it to her mom. Her coat then disappeared. She and her roomie pulled out a ouija board (what ever happened to St Anthony?) and contacted a spirit called T.E. The specter wanted her bag back, and took the coat to hold as collateral until she did. They made the trade. Later, in that same room, (we'd be in an off-campus apartment by now) a blinding light shot out of the closet, and when it faded, an old man with a white beard was seen standing there. When the girls got out of bed, he disappeared, the voyeur! There's also been reports of strange noises and the sound of a basketball bouncing on the seventh floor – which is closed off to the students.  The 7th floor is also where a student of the occult was found dead, so lots of bad juju there.  St. Vincents - Pitt Magazine  

Basilica: The cornerstone of the basilica was laid in 1892, and the consecration took place on August 24, 1905. The basilica was completely restored in 1996, as part of the 150th anniversary of the college.  And it's a good thing, too - it still holds a lot of the past between its walls.  It's said that you can feel people rushing by you in the basilica, even when it's empty, and can sometimes see the images of brothers long gone in prayer. Every year, security guards hear strange sounds coming from the basilica after midnight mass on Christmas Eve – kneelers going down, the smell of incense, and sounds of music and singing.  They're just keepin' the faith.  St. Vincent's - Pitt Magazine The Shadowlands

Gerard Hall: There are reports of cold spots and disembodied footsteps.  St. Vincent's - Pitt Magazine 

Graveyard, Grounds, & Wandering Monks: Images of the faces of the monks and nuns have been seen in the cemetery, along with an occasional funeral procession. There's a tree stump that's been carved into a wooden throne by the little boy whose grave is beside it and some students claim they've seen a tiny ghost sitting in itIn one part of the cemetery is a statue of Mary, who is said to cry tears of blood when someone with genuine sorrow prays to her, in acknowledgment of their pain. In the middle of the graveyard is a Pieta statue of Mary holding Jesus after he has been taken down from the cross. It's claimed that if you sit on the bench in front of it long enough, she will raise her head and look at you. Also, it's regularly reported that entities spotted in the graveyard by security guards vanish without a trace.  The Shadowlands, St. Vincents - Aware Foundation   St. Vincent's - Pitt Magazine

Keck's Monk: A monastic novice named Paul Keck reported in the 1850's that he was visited by the spirit of a Benedictine monk that sought prayers for souls in purgatory. Abbot Wimmer at first backed his claims, but as the sighting worked its' way up the chain of command, all the way to the Vatican, Wimmer changed his tune. The visions were eventually deemed a hoax, and they raised considerable scandal within the church at the time.   “Keckism” became a form of heresy. It didn't help Keck's cause when he was discovered to have been an actor before donning the robes. (Pittsburgh Tribune Review “Ghosts Scare Up Spectral Tales,” October 31, 2000)

St. Benedict Hall: Benny is haunted by a small girl, nicknamed Jenny, who has appeared in various rooms and likes to play games and tricks on the residents, "borrowing" their things and running through pods in the middle of the night. There are also handprints on the outside of windows.  Jessica Legg - St. Vincent Ghost Stories

St. Xavier's Convent: There's a tale of a monk who roams between St. Vincent's and St. Xavier's, a nearby convent. His cowl covers his face, which is invisible even you're looking directly at him. There are visions of brothers working in the kitchen. Shadowy nuns have been seen walking to mass.  St. Vincents - Aware Foundation   Pitt Magazine

Sauerkraut Tower: This landmark structure was built in 1893, designed by Brother Wolfgang Traxler to move 80,000 gallons of water daily through the campus as a gravity powered water tower. Not one to waste space, chief cook Brother Innocent stored barrels of pickled cabbage among it's pipes in the early 20th century, earning the 90' tall building its' nickname. In the 1930's local mines started to drain some of the water supply from the tower, and a monk had to climb the 10 flights of steps 3 times a day to check the water level. Thankfully for the Benedictine's lungs, St. Vincent tapped into the municipal water system in 1942. But it was too late for one nameless brother, who punched his ticket to St. Peter's gate when he got caught in the windmill arms atop the tower and hung himself. To this day, you can still hear the dedicated monk tread up the steps, carrying out his obligation to the college through eternity. And he must be afraid of the dark. Security has to frequently shut off the lights of the empty building, and some people have claimed to see his face looking out of the top window. (Pittsburgh Post Gazette “Here: In Latrobe”, January 18, 2004)

Abbot Boniface Wimmer: Abbot Boniface, the founder of the college, rises on the anniversary of his December 8th death and goes to the basilica to say mass for the souls of the departed. He passes through every red door in the crypt area where he's buried beneath the church to check on everyone and to find out how the school has progressed over the year. He's the most famous spirit at St. Vincent, and his sighting is jokingly referred to “freshman orientation” on campus. St. Vincent's - Pitt Magazine & St. Vincent's - Aware Foundation

Saint Vincent College Campus Virtual Tour

SAVANNAH METHODIST CHURCH & CEMETERY (Shenango Twp., Lawrence County) In 1869, David Barge, back from the Civil War, walked the snow-covered fields of Shenango to go to the weekly prayer meeting at Savannah Methodist Church.  As sometimes happened, no one showed.  He waited awhile, and turned to go home.  That's when a mysterious thing he could describe only as a "fallen spirit" popped up beside him, causing the battle-tested Barge to leap a fence and sprint home in terror.  He hesitantly told his parents about the encounter; he feared he'd be made a mockery of by the townsfolk if his story got out.  He was right; his nephew Eli overheard him and could barely contain himself.  Gathering up his bro and a friend, the intrepid trio paid a visit to church to disprove Uncle Dave.  They didn't; the spirit joined them, too, scattering them into the night.  The next evening, four of them returned to face down the spook.  The ghost showed, but the teen-aged boys held their ground and watched it glide from the church to the graveyard and back again, leaving not a track in the snow.  They asked the white, misty apparition what it wanted, but all it did was groan and make a scratching sound by a tree beside the brick church.  The foursome went home, spilled their story, and the churchyard was filled for nights on end by locals trying to spot the spook.  But it was to no avail; it never showed up again.  But its tale lived on, recounted in the 1917 New Castle News, passed on to the reporter by one of the surviving witnesses.  The church is long gone, torn down in 1910, but the cemetery is still there, though no one's been buried in it since 1990. And if you look around in section A, you'll find the tombstone of David Barge (1827-1888), his wife, and his kids.  Pastor Swope

SCIOSCIA MANSION (Bellevue, Allegheny County) There are reports of the presence of a child ghost who was murdered in the attic. Paranormal investigators spotted a mist at the top of the stairway. There was a cold draft, and suddenly a bright face lit up the landing. We're not sure which house this is. There are several old Scioscia homes on Lincoln Avenue that could fill the bill. (Pittsburgh Post GazetteFor These Ghost Hunters, It's All In the Ectoplasm,” February 22, 2000)

SCOTTDALE NATIONAL GUARD ARMORY (Westmoreland County) The Old Armory is an Art Deco building from the late 1800s.  Its lockers are said to open and shut, the lights flicker, doors lock and unlock, and security alarms go off even when the cameras showed no one present. The spirit of the “Old General” haunts the drill grounds. Why don't any privates ever come back to visit the old training site? The Shadowlands

SETON HILL UNIVERSITY (Greensburg, Westmoreland County) Founded by the Sisters of Charity in 1918, Seton Hill University started out as a small liberal arts college for women. It has since grown into a 2000-student coeducational university.  Some of its buildings date back a century or more, and like any good Catholic college, it's got its ghosts.

Administration Building: In the early 1900's, an elderly sister fell asleep in the basement of the Motherhouse, now used as the administration building.  A custodian saw her laying there and assumed she was dead, and she was buried alive (the good sister must have been a very heavy sleeper!)  When she woke up in a pine box, she beat on the lid of the casket until she finally passed away for real.  It's said that you can hear the spirit of the nun pounding away in the Administration building late at night. 

Brownlee Hall: It's alleged that footsteps can be heard running up and down the hall of the first floor of the freshman woman's dorm at night.  But when a student opens their door to investigate, no one can be seen, even as the noise goes on.  More lore is that you can see the shadow of a girl that hung herself in her dorm room, cast on the wall.  There's also the story of a mysterious purple light that comes out of the corner of a first floor room.

Maura Hall: This is the campus media center and where the upper-class women are dormed at SHU, in a building that dates back to 1908.  The spirits of the old teaching nuns have been reported roaming its corridors.

Main Parking Lot: The ghost of a priest has been seen crossing the main lot during the evening.

St. Joseph's Chapel:  It's located on the third floor of the Administration building, and was built in 1896 as part of the original Motherhouse.  It features the apparition of a nun in the right hand room next to the organ.  The organ door will open and close on its own, and a chorus of ghostly voices singing and music coming from the otherwise empty room can be heard.  Also, there's the legend of a student who became so depressed that she went to the bell tower, which is entered through the chapel, and threw herself off into the courtyard below, committing suicide (although some other tales say it was an accidental fall out of a window). Her ghost is said to be seen around campus, sometimes even reliving the event.

Sisters' Cemetery:  The graveyard was planned and laid out in 1889 when the Seton Hill Motherhouse was completed.  It's the final resting place of the Seton Hill Sisters of Charity, the founders of the university, all the past presidents, and several other notable priests, laymen, and laywomen.  A little boy is one spook, playing with a ball and occasionally running like someone is chasing him, screaming all the while.  Another tale is of a woman who stops traffic on the road so she can cross (or hitch a ride), but when the driver brakes and looks for her, she has already disappeared into the fog. Also reported spotted in the college boneyard are the spirits of sisters gone and buried who once lived at Seton Hill, along with some EVPs.  One story regarding demonic grave circles can be discounted, though.  The original layout of the sisters' burial plots was circular, but that proved to be too space consuming, and was replaced by the traditional rows of graves.

Wooo, busy campus - no wonder it's the one of the sites where the horror film On Sabbath Hill is being shot!  Take the Seton Hall University campus tour.

Sources cited are from Haunted Seton Hill  and the Pittsburgh Tribune Review "Horror Film Begins Production At 'Creepy' Seton Hill," December 7, 2007.

SHIELDS HOUSE (Edgeworth, Allegheny County) Newlington is perhaps the finest landscaped property in Western Pennsylvania. The 10-acre estate has been in the hands of the same extended family for 7 generations after being built in 1816. It's such a serene spot that original owner David Shields and his family just couldn't bear to leave it. Shields has reportedly been sighted on the first floor, and once he and his family were seen sitting on a couch in the living room in the middle of a discussion. They stopped when interrupted and stared at the witnesses for being so rude as to walk in on their family gabfest. (Pittsburgh Post Gazette “Guardians of the Gardens,” June 17, 2006)  Shields House - Para Investigator

SHILOH INN (Mt. Washington, Pittsburgh) The Shiloh Inn, now the Shiloh Street Grille, was built in the 1800's by the Soffel family as a family crib. Yep, those Soffels, Pete and Kate, the star crossed warden and his wife made famous by the 1984 movie "Mrs. Soffel." Kate helped the infamous Chloroform Gang members, the Biddle Boys, make a short lived break from the County Jail (which it's claimed that Mrs. Soffel still haunts) back in the day. They're both supposed to still be there. Kate is announced by a chill, and can be seen in a white dress peeking from a mirror, and at other times, looking out a window. Pete's presence is felt by the staircase, where it's said he patiently and eternally awaits his wife's return. You can tell he's around by creaking heard on the otherwise empty stairs.  The Shiloh Street Haunting

SHILOH STREET "CELL PHONE" GHOST (Mt. Washington, Pittsburgh) There's said to be a spirit on Shiloh Street, operating down by the Sycamore Street intersection, that loves taking things from living passers by. So if you're in the area and notice something missing from you're pocket, it may not be forgetfulness, but a bit of poltergeist pranking. The spook got its nickname from an incident when it borrowed a cell phone that was later found - with pictures of the owner on it apparently taken by the Shiloh Street Ghost!  Haunted Pittsburgh

SLAG PILE ANNIE (Hazelwood, Pittsburgh) When iron is made in blast furnaces, the impurities, or slag, drop through rollers, where it's collected into rail buggies and removed through small, dark, hot tunnels underneath the furnace. One tale has a J&L steelworker going into the tunnels, where he spotted a lady a short distance from him, dressed in work clothes and wearing a red bandanna. He said “Lady, you better get out of here before you get killed!” She sweetly answered “I can't get killed. I'm already dead.” The shaken millhand found his boss and told him the story. The foreman said “Oh, that must be Slag Pile Annie. We hired her to work during the war, and she ran the same buggies that you're running now. Annie was killed in an accident down there five years ago.” Many blast furnace workers reported talking to her over the years. There's no report of her being seen since the furnace was demolished. H&H worked the blast furnaces one summer, and can't figure out why she'd want to come back. Did H&H ever see her? Well, maybe he did catch just a glimpse... (In Pittsburgh “Tales From Pittsburgh's Dark Side,” October 28, 1993)

SLIPPERY ROCK UNIVERSITY (Butler County) From its' start as Slippery Rock Normal School in 1889, SRU has come a long way. It became a teachers college in 1926, a diverse college in 1960, and a university in 1982. The school has spooks befitting its' reputation.

Miller Auditorium: This is the home of Slippery Rock's theater troupe. It's haunted by the spirit of Emma Guffey Miller, a university trustee and well-connected Slippery Rock resident who passed on in 1970. The “Old Grey Mare”, as she was known, is said to cause loud banging sounds and flickering lights during rehearsals. To keep Emma occupied during the show, the student actors hide a doll named Baby on stage. Baby was once an entire doll, but is now down to a charred head. But it's enough to keep Emma busy. The cast believes that if Baby isn't on stage during a show, the performance will bomb. Why does she haunt the theater?  Some say it's because it was named after 1930s SRU President Charles Miller, a person she did not like in life.  Others say it's because she was instrumental in getting the Auditorium built, even donating personal belongings to it, and still has an strong attachment to it.  Maybe it was just dark one night - stage legend has it that a darkened theater attracts spirits, and that's why they keep a "ghost light" on in most theaters, a single bulb left burning so the place is never completely dark. Sadly, the 1958 Miller Auditorium is slated to be torn down. There goes Baby. And no, we don't know the story behind the doll. But we'll bet it's a good one.  In March of 2009, 10 investigators, led by John Lewis of Baelfire Paranormal Investigation, claimed that they made contact with Emma.  (Slippery Rock Rocket "Ghosts of SRU," October 25, 2002)   The Shadowlands 

North Hall: Same spook, different haunt. Emma Guffey Miller visits this dorm at night, presumably after the student show is over. She's been seen going down the sidewalk to North Hall. Miller's been known to open a few locked doors in the hall, but she seems to like the place. Emma, dressed in black, hovers over the sleeping students, who believe it's good luck to have her watching you. She was a SRU trustee who played a major role in getting North rebuilt after a fire in 1937 destroyed the dorm and all the girls' property, although it didn't take any lives. Maybe the memory of that terrible night is why the Old Grey Mare is so protective of the building and its' girls.  It's said that one of her favorite tricks is to unplug electrical devices to protect the girls from another fire. (Slippery Rock Rocket "Ghosts Of SRU," October 25, 2002; "The Haunting of North Hall", October 24, 2003)

Old Stone House: The Old Stone House was built in 1822 as a tavern and inn, and served as a center for drinking and gambling for nearly a century. Slippery Rock bought it in 1983, after it had been abandoned as a business for decades.  SRU uses it primarily as a museum.  Students claim to hear phantom footsteps going up the stairs, clocks chiming for no reason, and the contents of a china closet being unceremoniously dumped.  Dominoes left on a tavern room were rearranged when the bar was empty, spelling "GET OUT."  The West Bedroom has reports of shuffling footsteps and groans being heard from it, and the spook of a female in 19th century dress has been seen there.  Who's behind the mischief? No one really knows. In the 19th century, the House was the headquarters for two different groups of counterfeiters, one led by Old Man North Pole, along with a gang of highwaymen known as the Stone House Gang. It was also the starting point for one of Butler's most horrific crimes, when a drunken Samuel “Indian Sam” Mohawk (oddly enough, he was a Seneca) was tossed out of the Old Stone House in 1843, and on his way home murdered Mrs. James Wigton and her five children. So there's all sorts of spirits available, though thankfully the mayhem is much more laid back now then it was back in the House's heyday.  Another tale along Resurrection Mary lines is the spook of a young girl that was hit by a train behind the house, tossed into the creek, and drowned.  A light is often seen along the road, and she's appeared at night looking for a ride home. (Pittsburgh Post Gazette “Spooky Stories Always In Season,” October 16, 2005; Pittsburgh Tribune Review “Old Stone House Still Greets Visitors,” April 21, 2002)  CPSI

Here's a map of Slippery Rock's campus.

SMOCK COMMUNITY CENTER & MUSEUM (Smock, Fayette County) Smock is a quiet village located eight miles north of Uniontown. The former coal patch, home of the Colonial #1 mine and site of the H.C. Frick Coke Company and its beehive ovens, was named after farmer Samuel Smock, who in the late 1800s agreed to grant the Pennsy RR a right of way if the company would name its train station after him. They did, and so did he. The daily meeting place for the town is the post office on the first floor of the old Union Supply building, which also houses the coal museum and community center. And what cred would a museum have without a holdover from its past? In this case, the ghost in the 120 year old building is a shadow form thought to be John Martin, an old delivery man for Union Supply, who's been reportedly seen by many and blamed for odd noises, pictures moving on the wall, and slamming doors. He's alleged to have made contact with the Pittsburgh Paranormal Society, who paid a visit to John with their tape recorders and electronic devices. Steel Town Paranormal has added a young female in a white dress, thought to be the wife or daughter of a miner, who has been seen looking into a mirror in a second floor bedroom. Other spirits in the house are Lawrence "Perky" Cicconi, a former bartender whose father owned the Union Beer Garden, once located upstairs, and his brother "Fricky" who used to play checkers there with his daughter and who is still believed to move the pieces on a checker board that is still on display today(Pittsburgh Post Gazette "In Pursuit of Proof of the Paranormal" October 28, 2010; Herald Standard "Stories of Strange Happenings In Smock Community Center" 10/23/2012)

SNYDER CEMETERY (Moraine State Park, Butler County) Green glowing lights emanate from a gravestone. Flashes of white light and fog are reported. A black shadow has been sighted among the tombs.  Red eyes follow you around until you leave the cemetery. If that doesn't scare you out of the boneyard, maybe the ghost of patriarch Conrad Snyder, who's reported to haunt the grounds, will chase you back to Burton Road. Conrad was a settler that planted his roots in Butler County in 1800, dying in 1865 at the age of 90. Two different paranormal investigative groups went to the Snyder's family graveyard (Spirited Ghost Hunting & CPSI Paranormal) and came up empty. One group even described Snyder Cemetery as “peaceful.” However, the Steel Town Paranormal group believes that they made contact with the playful spirit of youngster Gertrude Snyder, who wanted to play tag with the investigators. The Shadowlands

SPOOK BRIDGE (Uniontown, Fayette County) In the late 1700's, outside of Gosstown, the Dunkelbergers were having a party.  They were few and far between then, and the Gosses were excited to go.  Martin Goss was an old man of 75; his wife considerably younger.  As the night wore on, the hard cider was taking its toll on old man Goss.  He told his wife to stay and come home with neighbors; he was tired and going home.  The road to the Dunkelbergers crossed Shamokin Creek, where two flat boards spanned the waters.  Later that night, when other party-goers where headed back home, they spotted Goss laying face down in the water, dead.  They got the rest of the party crowd and called for the coroner.  The coroner arrived, and Martin Goss was still laying in the creek.  The old sawbones reached in and started to pull him out, and then the rest of the gang came to help.  It seems they left him there because the folklore of the time said that if you were the first to touch a dead person, you'd be haunted forever by its spirit.  Well, there's no word on whether the coroner was spooked by old man Goss, but plenty of people say he haunted that bridge to Gosstown.  The village was named after him; it would eventually become Uniontown.  And its founder became its first ghost. This tale was taken from Patty Wilson's Totally Bizarre Pennsylvania.

SPOTLIGHT LOUNGE (Port Vue, Allegheny County) If you look at the mirrors behind the bar, you can see the faces of people who aren't there but whose reflections show up on the glass. There are reports of ghosts and phantom footsteps. It seems the customers had so much fun at the Spotlight when they were alive that they just couldn't leave the place after they died. This is a tale that we've heard repeated several times by Mon Valley folk.    Spirits Of The Mist 

 

Page 1   Page 2   Page 3   Page 4   Page 5   Page 6   Page 7   Page 8   Page 9   Page 11   Page 12  Home

Conemaugh    Erie/I-80    Freedom's Corner    PA Dutch    Gettysburg/Happy Valley   Pocono