Freedom's Corner Haunts & History

Page -6-

The legends, lore, and ghost stories of Berks, Bucks, Chester, Delaware, Lehigh, Montgomery, Northampton & Philadelphia counties.

If you have comments or a story to share, please contact us at Haunts & History

Visit us at our blog Pennsylvania Haunts & History 


JARRETTOWN INN (Dresher, Montgomery County) A room on the second floor of the Inn is reportedly haunted by a woman who looks out of the window and cries.  Her sobbing can be heard outside of the building.  The barn on the property is supposed to be the domain of spectral servants who were killed by a tornado a century ago.  You can hear their ghosts walking upstairs, although there is no way to access the second floor. They also open the locks on the barn door, perhaps hoping to escape the inevitable. Del Co Ghosts 

JEANES HOSPITAL (Central Avenue, Philadelphia) In the 1940s the hospital was going through a period of financial difficulties and was considering a buyout.  The ghost of founder Anna T. Jeanes, who died in 1907 (the provisions in her will allowed for the hospital's establishment in 1928), was said to have appeared to the hospital's administrators to show her disapproval of selling her namesake facility.  It worked, although the hospital has been affiliated with the Temple Health System since 1996.  Her spirit apparently approved of that match. The Shadowlands  

JERSEY DEVIL (Pine Barrens, Atlantic County, NJ) We're gonna share one of our neighbor's tales with you today as we gaze eastward towards the woodlands of New Jersey and its' infamous Devil  (It's made an occasional excursion across state lines into PA., and that's enough excuse for us.)  The Jersey Devil is a legendary critter said to cavort in the Pine Barrens of southern New Jersey, sort of a cross between a pterodactyl and a horse.  The Jersey Devil's home is the Blue Hole. According to popular folklore, the pond is a gateway to Hell. The water in the hole is always frigid, even during the summer. And the pool is said to have a whirlpool effect on any person who dives into it, swirling you into the depths of Hades - or the Jersey Devil's living room.  Unlike the surrounding rivers and lakes in the region, the Blue Hole has crystal clear water, which is one of its stranger features. Clean water in Jersey? Now that's eerie. (Actually, the Pine Barrens is one of Jersey's major aquifers.)  The most popular version of the Jersey Devil legend begins in the 18th century when Jane Smith arrived from England and went to the Pine Barrens to marry a Mr. Leeds, who wanted heirs to continue the family name. As a result, the missus was continually preggers, getting frumpier and grumpier by the child.  After bearing twelve healthy children, she lost it when she became pregnant with her thirteenth kid. She cursed the unborn child, saying she'd rather have the Devil's child than another Leeds' legacy. Guess the blush was off the rose by then, hey?  According to legend, her wish was granted. Her new child had cloven hooves, claws, and a tail. The gruesome babe devoured the other Leeds children and then its' parents, before escaping through the chimney to begin its' reign of terror. (Yah, it seemed to us too that all the witnesses became Devil chow. Maybe the nanny busted it.)  This version is waylaid by the fact that Mother Leeds has descendants that, as of 1998, still lived in Atlantic County NJ according to the New York Times. Bummer.  But there are several twists of the Leeds tale, like the one claiming that in 1735, Mrs. Leeds discovered that she was pregnant with her 13th child. She complained to her friends and relatives that the “Devil can take the next one”, and he did.  The child was born with horns, a tail, wings, and a horse-like head. Leeds threw it out of the house, but the creature came by and visited its' mom everyday, like a good son. And every day, she stood at the door and told it to leave. After awhile, the Devil took the hint and never came back, retiring to the Barrens. Other versions say that Mrs. Leeds invoked the devil during a very difficult and painful labor and that when the baby was born, it grew into a full-grown devil and escaped from the house to begin a reign of terror. Another version is that the child/devil was the result of a family curse. Hey, there's more.  One says that Mrs. Leeds, who was a Quaker, had refused to be converted from the Quaker faith and that the clergyman who had been trying to convert her was so angry that he told her that her next child would be an offspring of Satan.  Want more?  Her child was born a monster and Mrs. Leeds cared for the child until her death. In this version the child/devil "flew off" into the swamps after Mrs. Leeds' death. Another similar bit of folklore says a Mrs. Shourds made a wish that if she ever had another child, she wanted it to be a devil. Be careful of what you wish for.  Her next child was born misshapen and deformed. She hid the baby in the house, so the curious wouldn't see him. One stormy night, the child flapped it's arms, which turned into wings, and escaped out the chimney and was never seen by the family again.  The Shourds House (Leeds Point, Atlantic County, NJ) is considered sacred ground for Jersey Devil devotees. It's alleged to be the Devil's birthplace, and the ruins of its' old stone house still remain. So whether its' ma was Mrs. Leeds or its' home was Leeds Point, the Jersey Devil is also often known as the Leeds Devil. But there are other older origins for the Jersey Devil legend besides the Leeds' family feud. The local Lenni Lenape tribes called the area around Pine Barrens "Popuessing," meaning "place of the dragon."  (Oddly, Native American legends usually depict the devil as a friendly protector of the Pines. Sightings of the devil were believed to be a sign of good fortune.)  Swedish explorers later named it "Drake Kill", "drake" being a Swedish word for dragon, and "kill" meaning river.  Some skeptics believe the Jersey Devil is nothing more than a morality tale of the English settlers. The Pine Barrens were shunned by the early locals as a desolate, threatening place. Being isolated, it became a natural refuge for those wanting to remain hidden, such as religious dissenters, loyalists, fugitives and deserters in colonial times.  The runaways formed groups known as "pineys", some of whom became bandits called "pine robbers". Pineys were further demonized after two early 20th century eugenics studies depicted them as inbred congenital idiots and criminals (Modern geneticists say that the studies weren't worth the paper they were written on, but the stigma is hard to shake, even today.)  It's easy to imagine early tales of terrible monsters arising from a combination of sightings of wild life, the outlaw pineys, and fear of the Barrens. Don't you love it when a story comes together?

But Jersey Devil lore is backed by many reputable eye witnesses who have reportedly seen the creature, dating over two centuries to the present day.  In 1778, Commodore Stephen Decatur, hero of Tripoli, visited the Hanover Iron Works in the Barrens to test artillery at a firing range, where he witnessed a strange, pale white creature flying overhead. Using cannon fire, Decatur punctured the wing of the creature, which continued on its' merry way without missing so much as a flutter.  The problem with this tale is that Decatur wasn't born until 1779. But it could have happened between 1816 and 1820, when he was the Naval Commissioner in charge of testing equipment and materials used to build new warships.  Joseph Bonaparte, the oldest brother of Napoleon, is said to have witnessed the Jersey Devil while hunting on his Bordentown estate around 1820. (See the King of Spain post below.)  In 1840, the Devil was blamed for cattle killings. Similar attacks were seen in 1841, accompanied by strange tracks and unearthly screams. The devil made an 1859 appearance in Haddonfield. Bridgeton witnessed a flurry of sightings during the winter of 1873.  About 1887, the Jersey Devil was sighted near a house, scattering the local rugrats. The Devil was spotted in the woods soon after that, and just as in Decatur's story, it was shot in the right wing, but still kept flying.  There were reported Jersey Devil sightings throughout the 1800s, include an 1899 raid on Vincentown and Burrsville, during which many sheep and chickens disappeared, presumably a snack for the Devil.  January of 1909, however, was the mother of all Devil sightings. Thousands of people claimed to witness the Jersey Devil during the week of January 16–23 in towns, hamlets, and farms all over New Jersey. Newspapers nationwide followed the story and published breathless eyewitness reports.  The Philadelphia Zoo posted a $1M reward for the Devil's capture. The offer set off a chain of hoaxes, including one involving a kangaroo with artificial wings. None were good enough to pass the Zoo's muster, and the reward remains up for grabs to this day.  Since that week of the Devil, sightings have been much less frequent, but didn't end by any means. In 1951 there was an uproar in Gibbstown after local boys claimed to have seen a screaming humanoid monster.   A telephone lineman working near Pleasantville was chased up a telephone pole by the Jersey Devil. He stayed there until a co-worker arrived and shot the Devil in the wing, wounding it. The Devil escaped into the surrounding woods.  In 1991, a pizza delivery driver in Edison described a night encounter with a white, horselike creature. In Freehold, in 2007, a woman supposedly saw a huge creature with bat-like wings near her home.  In August of the same year, a young man driving home near the border of Mount Laurel and Moorestown reported a similar sighting, claiming that he spotted a "gargoyle-like creature with partially spread bat wings" of an enormous wingspan perched in some trees near the road.  In January 23, 2008 the Jersey Devil was spotted again, this time in Litchfield, PA, by a local resident that claims to have seen the creature standing on his barn roof. Many theorists believe that the Jersey Devil could possibly be a rare, unclassified species which instinctually fears and attempts to avoid humans. Pretty smart critter, no?  Supporters of the crypto theory point out the similarities of the creature's appearance (horselike head, long neck and tail, leathery wings, cloven hooves, blood-curdling scream), with the only difference being the height and color.  Another fact supporting the cryptozoological theory is that it's much more likely that a species could endure over a span of several hundred years, rather than a single creature surviving since the days of the Lenni Lenape.  Some people think the Sandhill Crane (which has a 7' wing span) could be the Jersey Devil. But the physical descriptions of the Devil seem to be match up with the species pterosaur, Jurassic Park era dinos known popularly as "winged lizards."  A rotting corpse vaguely matching the Jersey Devil's description was discovered in 1957, leaving some to believe the creature was dead. However, there have been several sightings since that time, soooo...  How ingrained is this story into the Jersey psyche? Well, the New Jersey Devils hockey team takes its name from the legendary critter. It sure beats the New Jersey Sopranos, right? Wikipedia

D.E.JONES BUILDING (Shamokin, Northumberland County) Several people had reported hearing footsteps sloshing through water in the basement of the old building.  Photos have picked up orbs, and in one, a face showed up when the film was developed.  Strange USA

THE KHYBER (Old City, Philadelphia) This Second Avenue indy music bar is reportedly haunted by a ghostly woman that's been seen at the bar there many times, according to the Philly Blog

KING GEORGE INN (Dorneyville, Lehigh County) The King George Inn was built in 1756, and the area behind it was used for drilling troops during the Revolution.  It was located on a crossroad and served as a traveler's stop between both Reading and Easton, and Philadelphia and the Allegheny Mountains.  The Inn also was used as a courthouse, town hall, and public meeting house in its' day.  It's a National Historic Site.  The ghost of a woman carrying a small child dressed in 18th century outfits has been seen in the hallway entering the Inn.  A crying baby has been heard from different spots, the kitchen and an old well in the basement.  We wonder if it's hungry or thirsty? Haunted Places 

KING GEORGE II INN (Bristol, Bucks County) The Inn's claim to fame is that's it's America's oldest continually operating inn.  It was established in 1681 by Samuel Clift and originally called the Ferry House.  It became the King George II Inn in 1765.  As you may imagine, it's name was quickly changed after the Revolution, this time to the Fountain House.  In 1892 it became the Delaware House, and finally reclaimed its' KG2 name again in the mid 1900s, when the Brits became our buds once again.  There's been poltergeist activity reported from there, from pictures flying off the wall to slamming doors.   It's not haunted by any of the old bones, but by an unidentified spirit in a top hat and tails.  He may be a leftover from the days when it served the high and mighty that visited the nearby Bristol Springs in search of rejuvenation during the 1800s.  Haunted Pennsylvania 

KING OF SPAIN LEGEND (Bristol, Bucks County) Joseph Bonaparte, Napoleon's brother and once the king of Spain, had an estate in New Jersey.  But his heart belonged to Sarah Keene, who lived in a mansion in Bristol where the Grundy Memorial Library now stands.  She didn't share the King's goo-goo eyes, and rejected his advances.  Maybe she knew he already had a wife waiting for him in Italy.  People claim to see Bonaparte on the riverbank or in a rowboat across from the library with a lantern, calling out to the girl of his dreams, waiting for her to return his unrequited love.  Old King Bonaparte led an interesting life in the States.  He also claimed to have seen the famous Jersey Devil while hunting in Bordentown, NJ. Philly Burbs 

KUTZTOWN UNIVERSITY (Kutztown, Berks County) Built in 1866, the Old Main is the oldest building on campus.  And it only took 30 years for it to gain a ghost.  In 1895 Mary Snyder died of a heart attack just days before she was to graduate.  She now roams the corridors of Old Main and is said to be a friendly spirit, coexisting with the current students as just one of the girls.  Mary's even mentioned in the Old Main description on Kutztown's web site.  One of the coed student apartments on Whiteoak Street is also said to be haunted, by the ghost of a woman that once lived there. Del Co Ghosts 

  • McKelvy House: The McKelvy House, originally the John Eyerman residence (he was a grad and later a prof), was built by McKim, Meade and White in 1888 on High Street overlooking the Delaware River. It was given to Lafayette by the heirs of Trustee Francis G. McKelvy in 1960.   It's spook is "Lady White", Bessie Smith White, the architect's wife, whose portrait hangs in the house. And she isn't an equal opportunity ghost - she only goes for the men.  Though the Whites didn't live there, it's where Bessie decided to flirt eternally.  Her husband was the architect Stanford White, who was infamously shot by Harry Thaw after canoodling with his wife, Evelyn Nesbit. Two can play at that game.
  • Pardee Hall: The earliest intact building on campus was designed in 1872, completed the following year, and named after Ario Pardee, who donated $250,000 for its construction.  It originally housed the college's scientific departments, and is now home to most of Lafayette's humanities and social science offices.  It was victim to two fires, one set by a disgruntled prof.  He decided to hang around after shuffling off this mortal coil to let his displeasure with academia be known forever.  If you're looking for the mad professor's favorite haunt, it's said to be the 5th floor.  Watch for some bright lights flickering along the top floor. That's supposed to be his favorite way of showing himself.
  • Van Wickle Memorial Library: In 1963, Van Wickle Hall became home to the geology department. It was built in 1899-1900 as a library, and was named for Augustus S. Van Wickle, the Romanesque building's benefactor.  The old library sports a ghost in the basement.  It's the shade of a prof that died in a classroom, and he makes himself known by creating a cacophony of eerie sounds.  There are quite a few students that won't study in Van Wickle alone because of the ruckus he raises. It's just too hard to concentrate with all that spooky racket.
  • There are also alleged creepy going-ons in the extensive tunnel system that runs under the Lafayette complex.  Most of the school buildings are interconnected, and while the stories associated with the underground network are fairly generic and usually credited to noisy utility lines, a powerful aura of spookiness is attributed to them by the students.  Show up for the annual Halloween tour of the tunnels to hear some eerie variations on a spectral theme.

Oddly, though General Lafayette is said to haunt half of Philadelphia, his spook hasn't been spotted at his namesake school. Hey! Maybe he's in the tunnels. 

Take the Lafayette campus tour.

The tales were taken from The Laf "Lafayette Gets the Creeps" November 2, 2007.

LANDSDOWNE GHOST (Landsdowne, Delaware County) It's said that if you drive down Providence Road below Landsdowne Avenue at midnight that you may come across the Landsdowne Ghost. She was run over by a car in that area and killed, and can't seem to leave the spot of her death. She's dressed in jeans, sneakers, and has big hair, the epitome of an 80s girl, and has been almost run down again countless times by late night drivers. But when they get out the car to check on her, she's gone. Del Co Ghosts 

LAUREL HILL CEMETERY (East Falls, Philadelphia) This beautifully laid out cemetery opened in the late 1830s on the old Laurel Hill estate of merchant Joseph Simms as the first non-denominational graveyard in Philadelphia.  It's the home to the Crying Mother spirit who keeps a wary eye on the ground's young visitors.  The "Millionaire's Row" section of the cemetery is reported to be haunted by a man's apparition.  You're supposed to get feelings of being followed and watched while you're there, and the smell of cigar smoke is often in the air.  Ghost hunters have taped voices and shot many orb photographs at the cemetery.  One psychic told the Philly Inquirer she was followed around the cemetery by a shadowy spirit named Leonard who was dressed in a black hat and long coat.  He wasn't up to any mischief, but was just as curious about the ghost hunters as they were of him.  South Jersey Ghosts 

LEGEND OF BUCKEYE (Lambertville, New Jersey) We may be on the wrong side of the river, but this bit of local lore involves dear ol' New Hope High, so we thought we'd add it.  Many years ago in a high school football game, a New Hope Buckeye lineman got caught in a nasty pile up and his neck was broken, twisting his head around until it was bent backwards.  His death led New Hope High to ban football, and to this day it still doesn't field a team.  (We checked; they don't, although they're the Lions today.)  Lambertville High (NJ) was hosting the team that fateful evening.  Their old school burned down in 1955, and the deserted grounds became a teen party spot.  While with his buddies on the old football field, one of the kids told the story of the old Buckeye that he had heard from his grandfather.  One laughed, and in a burst of teen bravado yelled "I challenge Buckeye to a race!"  Big mistake.  A cold wind kicked up, and a pair of red eyes glowered at the pack of teens from across the field.  A voice boomed "Race to the other end of the field or die!"  One teen tried to run away, but fell to the ground, paralyzed by fright.  The other four took off like bats out of heck towards the far end zone.  The wind died and the glowing eyes disappeared as they crossed the goal line.  There were only three of them left, and they flew home as fast as they could.  The next day, the bodies of their two missing friends were found on the field.  Their heads were twisted around, just like old Buckeye's. (New Hope Gazette "New Hope's Eerie Haunts," October 27, 2005) 

LEHIGH UNIVERSITY (Bethlehem, Lehigh County) After the death of his daughter Lucy Linderman, Lehigh University founder Asa Packer donated $500,000 to the school to build a library in her name.  It opened on April 29, 1878.  They still operate the Lucy Cafe in the basement, named in her honor.  Lucy must like the place.  She said to haunt the book stacks, rearranging the tomes to her liking.  In fact, the librarians warn the students to avoid the stacks late at night to avoid a fright.  She's been seen roaming the entire building.  There's also the cranky spirit of an older gent.  He's believed to be the ghost of a regular library visitor who was known to make a pest of himself in real life and is carrying on the same way in death.  Some things never change.  (Brown & White "Eerie Pennsylvania," October 30, 2007) 

LEITHSVILLE INN (Hellertown, Northampton County) The ghost of a man hung in the barn in the 1700s has been seen there and in the Inn's lobby. The barn is now a garage for the Inn. Haunted Pennsylvania 

LEMON HILL (Fairmount Park, Philadelphia) From 1770-1799, this estate was known as the Hills, and was the home of Revolutionary War financier Robert Morris.  He lost it in a sheriff's sale to Henry Pratt in 1799, who built the house known as Lemon Hill the same year.  It got its' name because Pratt was the first American to plant a lemon orchard, from trees grown in Morris' greenhouse.  Shortly after his death, the city bought the property in 1844 and converted it to a park, with the Lemon Hill house as its' centerpiece.  It's been said that you can still occasionally smell the scent of lemons on the estate even though the orchard hasn't existed for two hundred years.  And when the smell of lemons is in the air, you reportedly can catch sight of ghostly farmhands harvesting the fruit on the estate. Digest ezine

THOMAS LEIPER HOUSE (Wallingford, Delaware County) Once the summer home of a tobacco merchant and three-time president of Philadelphia City Council Thomas Leiper, the Nether Twp. estate was called Strath Haven, named for Leiper’s birth place in Scotland. It had an old counting house behind the mansion that was used as a bank for the American colonial government because much of the Continental Congress' money was printed in Delaware County, according to Widener University folklorist Tom Edgette. "Many people have told me that years ago, before the house was restored, they saw ghostly people in uniform through the narrow slit windows of the counting house." If you can't take it with, then staying here with it must be the next best thing... Philadelphia Inquirer

LIMERICK POWER PLANT (Limerick, Montgomery County) The story goes that a worker fell to his death while building the electric station in the 1980s.  There have been several reports of his ghost being seen at the point where he fell, 100 feet in the air. The Shadowlands

THE LINCOLN ROOM (West Chester, Chester County) The Lincoln Room is a sandwich & tea shop in the basement of the Everhart (Lincoln) Building on W. Main Street. People can feel a ghostly presence and hear laughter, and there are some who won't set foot in the place at night. And it ties in very nicely with a bit of old West Chester history. In 1788, horse thief John Tully was lashed 38 times and had his ears cut off (apparently horse thievery was quite the felony back in the day). Tully moaned so loudly he was moved from the jail to a cottage across the street, where the Everhart building now stands. His cries of pain slowly turned to demented laughter during the night, and when they checked on him at dawn, he was dead. This Haunted Place

THE LINE STONE SPOOK (Tulpehocken, Berks County) This is an old German ghost tale. Line stones were rocks laid between properties, marking the boundaries. One old farmer was fond of moving them and thus expanding his land.  He died, but he couldn't break his old habit. Neighbors would gather at dusk to watch his glowing spirit flit along, carrying a rock and muttering "Where should I put this?" He was finally exorcised when one villager told him to put the stone back where he got it. The rock dropped, the ghost disappeared, and he was never seen again. This story is told in The Journal of American Folklore in an article by W. J. Hoffman, Folklore of the Pennsylvania Germans.  Northvegr  

LINVILLA ORCHARDS (Middletown Twp., Delaware County) Late on foggy nights, drivers report seeing a shadow figure dash out in front of them.  After they hit the brakes and get out, they find that there's no one around.   The legend is that a man that lived across from the orchards had a taste for apples, and would cross the highway at night and swipe his fill from the orchard.  One misty autumn evening he got run down by a car while on a hasty midnight raid. Ever since, whenever a shroud of fog covers the road, he tries his luck again from the afterworld.  The dude must really like apples!  Strange USA

LIZZY LINCOLN'S HOUSE (Exeter, Berks County) Lizzy was a happily married wife until she caught her husband cheating with the maid.  She confronted him, and he responded by pushing her down the steps to her death.  Her white, shadowy figure has since been spotted on the grounds, and it's said your can hear phantom footsteps, see lights going on and off in the house, and loud screams come out of the home.  It used to be a Halloween Haunted House, but we understand it's now just a rickety, deserted old home.  But don't let that fool you.  Lizzie's been known to float out of the house and chase kids away.  She's even said to have called the police one night. There's also tales of a teen being beat to death there, and sightings of a half-pig, half-human spirit on the grounds (and if that's not the husband, it certainly should be.) Real Haunts 

LOCK 49 (Reading, Berks County) In the summer of 1875, Louisa Bissinger was walking along the towpath of the Union Canal gathering stones with her three children Mollie, Lillie and Phillip.  Suddenly she embraced her three kids and stepped into the canal.  All four drowned, along with the unborn child she was carrying.  They were weighed down by the rocks, and rescue attempts proved fruitless.  No one is sure why she did it, but it's suspected that her husband's incessant womanizing had finally driven her to the brink of insanity.  Legend has it that her spirit still roams the lock area, and her ghost is part of the Canal Tour narrative.  To read more, get Charles Adams III's book Ghost Stories of Berks County. Crime Library  There are also said to be spooks of Hessian mercanaries and Native Americans along the waterway from nearby Gring's Mill cemetery.

LOGAN INN (New Hope, Bucks County) The Inn was originally called the Ferry Tavern, and was built in 1727 by New Hope's founding father, John Wells.  It became the Logan Inn on February 22, 1828.   It was most likely named after a Lenni Lenape chief named Logan who adopted his name in honor of James Logan, William Penn's aide. The Inn boasts a boatload of spooks.  Room 6 is supposedly haunted by a former innkeeper who lost the building in a sheriff's sale.  He can be seen in the mirror, and the room is always cold.  It's also reeking of cigarette smoke, which is quite noticeable in the no-smoking building.  There's also supposed to be two children that share the room with him.  A Revolutionary War soldier wanders the building, being seen in the basement, dining room, and bar.  Emily, the mother of a former owner, likes to play the poltergeist.  A painting showing her hangs in the hallway, and people can whiff her trademark lavender perfume when they pass by it.  The ghost of a man in knee breeches has been reported in the cellar.  His footsteps can be heard, and he's been accused of overturning a keg of brew or two while down there.  A young girl that drowned on the estate greets visitors in the parking lot.  She warns them away from the long filled in hole by the canal that she fell into when she died.  Some people say that they've seen the ghost of Aaron Burr, who stayed at the Inn shortly after his famed duel with Alexander Hamilton. Suite 101  

LONG LANE LADY IN WHITE (Oley, Berks County)  The spirit of a young girl in a white dress has been reported seen several times on Long Lane Road.  According to legend, she's awaiting her beau, who was killed during the Revolutionary War.  She's supposedly only seen between May and July.  We guess she was planning on a summer wedding. PIRA 

LORIMER PARK (Abington Twp., Montgomery County) The 250 acre park was donated by old Saturday Evening Post editor George Lorimer.  It's supposed to be very psychically active in the winter months.  There's a pyramid deep in the middle of the park that glows red some evenings.  Visitors report the occasional sound of screams and the smell of smoke, allegedly reminders of a mansion that burned down in the park in the 1800s.  It's also the home of Council Rock, where the Indians used to hold their gatherings and ceremonies. Strange USA 

LOUDOUN MANSION (Loudoun Park, Philadelphia) The Mansion was built in 1801 by Thomas Armat.  Armat was a well-known merchant and philanthropist and had his home built on top of Naglee Hill so he could watch the port for his arriving shiploads of goods.  He moved from Loudoun County, Virginia to Philadelphia, and then from Philly to Germantown to escape a yellow fever epidemic that was racing through the city.  The house was built on grounds that were supposed to hold the bodies of the fallen from the Battle of Germantown when Naglee Hill was used as a field hospital and makeshift burial site.  But Armat is absent from the list of spooks haunting the Mansion.  The most prominent ghost on the premises is Maria Dickinson Logan, the last resident of the home and the one who donated it to the city to use as a park when she died in 1939.  She's been known to move her private belongings, which are on display in the Mansion, to places where she prefers them.  She's also very protective of her bedroom and the home in general.  People staying there have seen her, fists clenched, watching them balefully from the foot of the bed.  Maria's also been spotted sitting on the home's front porch.  The spook of Little Willie Logan, the mentally challenged son of Gustavus and Anna Logan, is a prankster.  He died when in 1860 when he was 8.  Little Willie likes to play hide and seek with things, moving and hiding them.  There are a another trio of ghosts roaming the Mansion.  One is a man on the staircase, another is a woman in a rocker in the sun room, and the last is a young girl who's seen only at night.  Psychics have seen towers of white light and orbs through out the Mansion. Nancy Roberts includes Loudoun Mansion in her book Haunted Houses: Chilling Tales From 24 American Homes. She speculates that some of the spooks are the Revolutionary War dead that were interred at Naglee Hill.  Del Co Ghosts

Freedom's Corner Pages  -1-  -2-  -3-  -4-  -5-  -7-  -8-  -9-  -10-  -11-  Home

Three Rivers    Conemaugh    Erie/I-80    PA Dutch    Pocono    Gettysburg/Happy Valley