Jay Philips was assaulted by five white men for being African American.
Many other people were killed for it.
- Augusta, Michigan: Two black families were the victims of several hate crimes involving a cross burning and vandalism.
- Guthrie, Kentucky: The murder of a white youth sparked a series of hate crimes in the area.
- Lexington County, South Carolina: Three black teenagers were wounded in a Ku Klux Klan drive-by shooting.
- St. Louis, Missouri: An Asian man sitting in his car was killed by a black man.
- Independence, Kansas: A black family's house was firebombed.
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin: An Asian store was firebombed by black protesters as the target for a protest.