3.10 Manorial lands at Aveton Gifford

LAND HOLDINGS AT AVETON GIFFORD IN EARY TIMES


 

PERIOD

MANOR OF STADBURY

MANOR OF HEATHFIELD(1)

MANOR OF AVETON GIFFORD(2)

  1. Includes Lixton, see also note 3
  2. Court Barton

 

1068

Held by Toui, then Juhel and Radoof ( Ralf De Pomeray ) including Holbeton

Part of Buckfast Abbey Holdings and held by Abbot Alwin

Held by Rhiwallen or Ruald Adobed came to England with William the Conquerer

Aveton Gifford, Plymstock and Holbeton all in same Saxon parish

1100



Passed to Redvers family,

Earl of Devon

1150



Passed to Giffard family

Earl of Devon. Second part of town name

1200 - 1205

William de Braoza


Purchased by Sir John Damarale


1243

Held by Ralph de Stodbiri




1270

Held by Walter de Stapeldon who later became Bishop of Exeter



Chantry, St Andrews Church built by Walter De Stapeldon

1275

William Le Prouz




1284




Henry de Lyntone appointed as Chantry holder at town church

1293


Abbots allowed William, son of Walter Lyvegherston to take over land as tenant


Henry de Lyntone was also rector of Ringmore

1305

William Le Prouz marries Alice Damarale


On death of Sir John Damarale land passed to his daughter Alice, who married the holder of Stadbury manor

Parts of Aveton Gifford and Stadbury manors are united into the one holding

1309


John of Lyvergston


Separate parcel of land


William Le Prouz dies and leaves property to Alice who marries into Mule family, then Damarale




1407

Alice Damarale dies, husband remarries into Tremaine



Bequeaths made to churches at Aveton Gifford and Holbeton

1410

Inheritance to Tremaine family




1423

Purchased by the Chichester family




1520


Lyverger family purchase on monastery dissolution



1530


Purchased by Hugh Harris of Aveton Gifford



1563

Purchased by Hugh Harris of Aveton Gifford



Hugh ,yeoman lived at Efford, Aveton Gifford

 Notes

  1. Aveton Gifford known originally as Auton, and variations including Aweton., Avetona, Avetona, Awton.
  2. Stadbury was also known as Stodbury, at Doomsday it was Stotheria.
  3. Lixton was also known as Lewton, Luton Lyveston, Leytone and Lyvergerston
  4. There are four separate land holdings at Lixton
  5. Part land parcels are included

 Source of information: History of the Parish of Aveton Gifford, collated by the Rev CC Shaw