September 2010

September 18, 2010

Dear Club Members,

The September meeting was held on the 18th at the home of Walter and Susan Waring following the annual members’ barbecue. Ten club members attended the meeting.


· The date for the next meeting will be the on the second Saturday of the month, October 9, 2010, beginning at 7:30 PM, at the Hebron Village Church. There will be no public supper.

· Regular meetings are held the second Saturday of the month, beginning at 7:30 PM, at the Hebron Village Church, Hebron, NH. Changes to the regular date will be published.

· The web site address is

· Email contact address is

Meeting Minutes:

President – Tim French

· Called the meeting to order at 4:04 PM.

· Called for the secretary’s report.

· No treasurer’s report; further discussion to follow in the meeting.

Secretary’s Report – Susan Waring

· The secretary’s minutes of the meeting held on April 10 were presented.

· The secretary’s report was accepted as published.

Trail Master – Miles Sinclair

· Miles reported that he had inspected the entire trail system early in the summer (except for 11 South). Essential repairs needed were the redecking of the 47 foot bridge to Bryant Pond and replacement of some portions of the log bridge on the Atwell trail to the Hood Connector (since this is state land, we will need permission). Tim said we might need to make some repairs to the rock bridge near Kimball.

· The report on the groomer servicing is that there were additional shaft repairs needed on the Bombardier. The combined total for all of the servicing was almost $10,000, minus the $3,000 credit we were eligible for at Cook’s. After these repairs, the machines should both be in tip-top shape.

· Renting the excavator for a month worked out well last year; using the operators employed by Andrews covers the insurance. Miles would like to do this for the month of October. A motion was made to have Miles arrange for this and it was so voted.

· The fuel tank that was at the French’s has been taken to Dave Sargent’s for temporary storage. Heath Matthews helped to move it in exchange for the fuel remaining in it (about 20-30 gallons) after the greater part (75-100 gallons) was transferred, using the tank in the bed of Heath’s truck, into the tank already at Dave’s. We discussed various new locations for the tank and the necessity of building a containment system and roof, as well as the best design for pumping the fuel from the tank to the groomers. Alan, Miles and Bill will continue to research this.

· The culvert on Ed Gempka’s property has become a speed bump and needs to be leveled; Bruce Barnard has agreed to do it for an amount not to exceed $350. This was accepted.

· Funding is becoming more difficult to secure; because of this, the RTP funding is currently in limbo.

· The Braley Road bridge replacement will need more planning. Miles will defer to Alan as landowner liaison but will be ready to work on it once we receive permission. Miles, Alan and Bill will also scout out alternate locations and assess the work involved in using the town donated bridge if that becomes an option. If the property comes up for sale, it was suggested that the club purchase it if at all possible.

Trail Administrator – Alan Barnard could not attend.

President – Tim French

· Tim reported that Marie Hixson notified us that the club will be exempt from county dues as long as we are in good standing.

· The first county meeting will be held on the 22nd of September. Hardy Country will be doing the hosting at the April county meeting.

· The Trail Masters’ meeting will be held at Attitash.

· The mega raffle tickets will be coming out; clubs can contact Marie Hixson if they want them early.

· Clubs will need to renew permission for access to Fish & Game and State Dred land.

· The coupon offer that was made by Skidoo last year will be repeated. This gives the clubs a $10 donation for each customer who brings a coupon to a Skidoo dealer. There were some clubs that took very successful advantage of this, benefiting them $1500 last year. Outdoor Performance is our local Skidoo dealer in Bridgewater.

· We are still in transition from the former to the current treasurer, waiting for the transfer of the treasurer’s records. Tim has been in touch with Sharon and has requested the documents; the officers have also sent a written request that they be turned over within 2 weeks of the letter.

· Tim will meet with the current treasurer to pass along any documents the president holds and to pass on the checkbook with the official authorizations to the bank.

· The IRS has sent a letter demanding penalties for an error on our income tax return; as we're an exempt non-profit organization, we don't have to pay income tax, but we do have reporting requirements. Tim has called to find out why and was told that we needed to complete Schedule B forms for 2008 and 2009; these forms describe any donations in excess of $5000. Tim also contacted Roger Wright, of the southern division of the NHSA, who was able to assist in answering some of our questions. Alan will be consulted for his records of amounts from Grant-in-Aid and RTP, if needed. After Tim explained the situation to the IRS, he was told that we should send a letter detailing the explanation and attach the completed Schedule B forms. Upon receipt of those, the IRS may release us from paying the penalties assessed.

· We will do the sign-up for this year’s meetings and dinners at the Hebron Village Church to verify availability of the second Saturday from October to April. Our fundraising suppers will resume in November.

Other business:

· A special Thank-You to Marshall and Melissa French for their donation of several bags of charcoal for the club’s grill.

· It’s time for the annual membership drive; an application form is included with this newsletter for your convenience. The forms are also on the website at for you to download and print using Acrobat Reader. We will be dropping off application forms at Outdoor Performance and the Newfound Trading Post in Bristol for your convenience in registering your sleds as well.

· There being no other business, the meeting was adjourned at 5:00.

Respectfully submitted,

Susan M. Waring, Secretary, Hardy Country Snowmobile Club