Recent Announcements

The "Resources" page has some good information to utilize.  Checklists are included that will help you quickly get all that I need together for tax preparation for any year (you can use older year forms and change the year as needed).  The checklists at the bottom of this page still work well to get any year started.  We can also provide you more complete personalized checklists once we have setup your prior year tax return.  Some older information is still valid and useful for the current year.  We are in business year-round to help you through the income tax laws and complying with them.

The 2019 tax season is off and running.  You can bring us your tax information and we will start your tax return.  We would like to gather some information on your previous year's taxes so we can do some comparisons.  This will help explain why your taxes are higher or lower.  We will help you plan for this year's changes so you know if any taxes will be due next April 15.  We will also help you complete earlier year or amended tax filings.  It is recommended if you sold properties or have other unusual or large transactions that we can get started entering or estimating your tax due right away so you know how much tax you need to set aside..  There are also many changes at retirement and it is easy not to withhold adequate taxes.  We have helped many heirs do final income tax filings for the estate of the deceased or their living trusts.  The new tax legislation passed at the end of 2017 means there are many changes to tax rates, taxes withheld, exemptions, deductions and credits. 

We are ready to help you determine your tax or tax due so you can plan your future and expected cash flow.  We can input estimated amounts in our tax planner to get a good idea of your expected income tax situation. 

We can extend your tax filings and we can do this for you if you let us know by the due date and we already have an official tax form from you with your correct address and tax identification or social security number.  Extensions do not delay late payment penalties if you cannot pay all the tax by the due date (April 15 for most taxpayers).  An extension delays the potentially higher late filing penalties for a limited time only (often it is 6 months). 

If you get any correspondence from the IRS, Colorado Department of Revenue or anything else related to your income taxes, please forward to our office.  We need to be certain it is legitimate and agrees with your recent tax filings. 

Go to my Facebook business page for some information on current tax changes or other news.  I appreciate likes and comments!

We've moved!

posted Jul 25, 2017, 11:04 AM by Sheldon Harding   [ updated Nov 30, 2018, 12:14 PM ]

We decided to find a different location for our office.  We wanted a safer and quieter environment to work in and for our clients to visit us in.  We found a smaller office building with fewer tenants and with on-site management that will maintain professional standards.  We moved into 10651 E Bethany Dr at the end of July 2017.  Previous address: 15200 E Girard Ave Ste 2075 is no longer valid.

Office phone # remains: 720-870-0949
Fax # is still: 720-870-4352
Direct e-mail remains:

Welcome to 2017!

posted Jan 26, 2017, 8:15 AM by Sheldon Harding

We are ready to complete 2016 taxes and have started e-filing.  We did not update this website for awhile, but we are still here completing income taxes and helping you plan income taxes for your lives.

The Resources page still has some older items, but most can still be used for the current year.

Individual extension post for 4/15/2014

posted Nov 5, 2013, 12:45 PM by Sheldon Harding   [ updated Nov 5, 2013, 12:47 PM ]

No need to rush to file your tax returns. It is better to be sure it is correct before filing it.
If you completed the one-page extension (form 4868) and it  was properly filed by April 15, then you have six months to be sure your personal return is checked.  Why not have a professional check it that has seen thousands of tax returns, so they can ask good questions and help you be sure your documentation is in order.

If you still owe 2013 taxes, then I do suggest you attempt to catch up by October 15 or at least pay what you can to slow down the late payment penalty that will be added on to the tax.

We complete our client's individual extensions near April 7 each year by e-filing so that we get a confirmation the IRS received them right away.  We do this automatically for tax returns filed with our office the previous year and you will get added to that list if I receive a copy of your prior year return by January 2014 with a payment to our office of at least $100 or 1/2 of the expected preparation fee if larger.  

We would like to receive your last filed return as soon as possible so that we can get it setup.  We will waive the setup charge for you if you can get a copy to us by Thanksgiving!

Disaster relief, casualty losses and tax documents.

posted Sep 18, 2013, 9:43 AM by Sheldon Harding   [ updated Sep 18, 2013, 10:13 AM ]

Colorado flood and fire victims may qualify for some tax relief!

Those in Aurora with property damages should check the updated site at: and consider registering with FEMA right away for possible assistance.

Casualty losses are possible if the damage to property is more than 10% of your income.  Those counties or areas the President claims as federal disaster areas also may allow special casualty loss rules to apply as well as possible delays to tax deadlines.  The IRS has a disaster information site here: On 9/17/2013 Adams, Boulder, Larimer and Weld counties were declared federal disaster areas.  People affected by the disaster in those counties will be able to claim immediate casualties on 2012 or 2013 taxes as well as possible delays to filing taxes.  The FMV before the disaster is needed and can be hard to prove.  Save anything you can that would document or prove the value of your property before the casualty such as pictures, appraisals, insurance records or purchase documents.  For real estate, county appraised values might be the only thing available.  For personal property, you may need to go through your pictures before you discard them to see if you have the item pictured.  Off site records and pictures can be invaluable in these situations.  For the future clients may wish to consider cloud storage of their digital documents.  You can get prior tax records from the IRS and federal disaster victims can get the fees waived to get prior tax returns that are destroyed. will also be additional guidance to getting your tax records back in order.

Where is my IRS Refund?

posted Jan 24, 2013, 1:11 PM by Sheldon Harding

Where is my IRS refund?

IRS has changed some things which should bring more information to taxpayers sooner.  I'm told by the tax software company that once they send the e-file to the IRS, Where's my Refund should show Return Received within 24 hours.  This will be an improvement and it should keep taxpayers more informed on the process.

If the return processes smoothly, it is pretty straightforward.  But what happens when the return gets flagged for review?  The IRS will produce an in-your-face “Take Action” warning message any time the taxpayer needs to, well, take action.  Not only that the taxpayer will know if his or her return was modified, and provide details explaining why.

The IRS has a new standard reply for taxpayers asking when they can expect their refund: “More than 9 out of 10 tax refunds are issued in less than 21 days,” which is another way of saying, “We are not estimating refund dates anymore, but chances are good that you will receive your refund in three weeks or less.”  
The combination of consistent messaging and a personalized refund tracker is a step in the right direction. It gets the IRS out of the business of guesstimating when refunds will be processed.

1099 forms may be due to your vendors on January 31

posted Jan 17, 2013, 11:13 AM by Sheldon Harding

If your company, no matter how small, paid $600 or more last year to any individual or other non-corporate taxpayers like a partnership or LLC company, you need to prepare 1099 forms.   These need to be sent to your vendors by January 31.  You also need to prepare on special red forms the copy for the IRS.  My wife, Debbie, and I can help you get this step done right.  You can fax us the information at 720-870-4352 and we will get right on it.

Recent tax changes for 2013

posted Jan 2, 2013, 12:42 PM by Sheldon Harding

I post articles and comments on my LinkedIn page as well as my FaceBook business page at 
Hope you can stop by or comment as these 2 Social Media contacts seem to be the best way to get new information to my clients and prospects.

Business owners and standard mileage rates.

posted Dec 6, 2012, 8:21 AM by Sheldon Harding   [ updated Jul 25, 2017, 2:37 PM ]

New business owners that will need some assistance with their income taxes should come see me or get their summary of the business to me as soon as they can so that I can become more familiar with how they are accumulating the data and whether it will provide all the deductions for their business tax return.  If records are in good shape, tax forms or returns for a business can often be prepared and readied to file in January when the business owner is diligent about getting everything in order early.  If your business used items that you paid out of your personal account, you might want to consider documenting a reimbursement of expenses by the end of the year.  You will find some resources for business owners on the "Resources" page.  We added resources needed to gather what you need for your tax return on that page.  I added some below that can be used by the self-employed and that can also apply to a single-owner LLC entity.  For other business entities, go to the Resources page.

FYI 2013 IRS mileage rates. 56.5 cents per mile will be the 2013 business mileage rate. Other rates apply for charity, medical, moving, etc (see link below). Your tax preparer will just need the mileage totals of each category, but you do need to keep some good records about
 your daily driving and odometer readings and why you need the vehicle for your business. Keep actual receipts for fuel and repairs for 4 years after you file your return as they are very useful if needed to prove your vehicle use.,-Medical-and-Moving 

New client discounts and referral discounts for current clients

posted Nov 13, 2012, 9:13 AM by Debbie Harding   [ updated Jul 25, 2017, 2:27 PM by Sheldon Harding ]

We do want to continue to grow our firm and meet your needs, so we offer our clients referral fees as discussed further below.  We also reward new clients that will help us get started on their account at the end of the year instead of waiting until we get into the main part of the tax season.  Every year we offer early and summer discounts on current invoices.  We also offer discounts on future personal income tax preparation work if a new client will bring their prior income tax return in for a free review before the end of the year and pay us part of the expected fee to start preparing the next year early.  It requires that they get started with us by December 31 and that they pay $100 of the 1st year expected fee by then after their no-obligation first meeting where we can discuss what can be expected for the normal tax preparation fees.

Our current clients can also get $50 off of their next invoice once a new client has paid $200 or more in fees to our office.  We appreciate you work in getting the word out to those you know.  We also offer less valuable referral gifts to others who are not clients if we have kept track of who referred them.

Holiday greetings as we move to a new tax year!
Sheldon Harding, CPA

Welcome to our website

posted Dec 8, 2011, 8:55 AM by Debbie Harding   [ updated Dec 4, 2018, 12:16 PM by Sheldon Harding ]

We send our sincerest "holy day" greetings to all during this Christmas season!
2018 personal income taxes will be different this year due to tax reform and many new forms (including the shortened form 1040 that will have new schedules attached).  Tax withholdings may have changed, tax rates are lowered, dependent credits have changed and there are no longer any taxpayer exemption deductions.  Plan early and get us new estimates of your income or your latest changes.

If you would just like to start organizing your personal tax data, there are now several checklists in our resources to get you started.  I am also attaching a link below.  I tell my clients that you don't have to write down the amounts again if you gave it to me on another form or your own list that you are used to.  I also have a brief checklist of what else I expect to see when you get the main part of your data to me.

1-10 of 10