Little Courthouse Museum


    The two-story log building was constructed on Court Square in 1824 to serve as the first courthouse and jail for the newly formed Hardeman County.  In 1827, Levi Joy, a settler from Boston, moved it to its present location and used it as his home.  Next Dr. Thomas Moore owned the building, additions were made in 1849 and it passed through his heirs, the Hardaway, until 1967.  It now functions as the county’s museum.  In 2008, the Honorable Judge Chip Cary held General Sessions Court in the old courtroom.  This made it Tennessee's oldest "active" log courthouse.  On June 2015, the County Mayor Sain, held the County's Commissioners Meeting at the Little Courthouse Museum and passed the county's financial budget for the 2016 physical year for the county.  This was the first time the County Commission had held a meeting in the old courtroom since 1827.  This meeting still keeps the old building's status as an "active" courthouse. 

Hours: 10am - 2pm, 2nd & 4th Saturdays, or by appointment
Location: 215 E. Market St., Bolivar, TN 38008 
Phone: (731) 518-7148
Directions:  Google Map Link



YouTube Video






Comments