- olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1/2 c dry red wine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 c canned crushed tomatoes (15-ounce can)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1/8 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ground black pepper
- 1 eggplant peeled and cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 c milk
- 1/4 c Parmesan
- Heat the broiler. In a large stainless-steel frying pan, heat 1-2
tablespoons of the oil over moderate heat. Add the onion and garlic and
cook until soft, about 3 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook until the meat loses its pink flavor, about 4
- Stir in the wine, tomato paste, tomatoes, bay leaf, cinnamon,
allspice, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and ground pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce
the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, brush both sides of the eggplant slices with olive oil
and season with salt and pepper. Put the eggplant slices on a large
baking sheet and broil until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Turn eggplant slices over and broil until browned on the other side,
about 5 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile in a small saucepan, combine the cream cheese, milk, and
ground pepper. Warm over low heat until just melted.
- Spray an 11-by-7-inch baking dish. Layer half the eggplant in the
dish, then half the meat sauce. Sprinkle with half the Parmesan. Repeat
with the remaining eggplant, meat sauce, and Parmesan.
- Spoon the cream-cheese sauce on top and broil until just starting
to brown, 1 to 2 minutes.