- 12 TBSP butter, more for pan
- 6 ounces bittersweet chocolate chopped into small pieces
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 TBSP strong coffee
- 4 large eggs, separated
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 c sugar
- 1 3/4 c finely ground almonds
- 2 TBSP Sugar
- 1 TBSP Corn syrup
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate, chopped into pieces
- 1 TBSP butter
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Butter the bottom and sides of a 9'' springform pan.
- Bring one inch of water to boil in a small pan and reduce the water to simmer.
- In a bowl, combine the 12 TBSP butter, chocolate, almond extract, and coffee
- Place the bowl over the pan and allow mixture to melt stirring frequently
- With an electric mixer on high, whisk egg whites and salt until soft peaks forms
- Slowly add 1/2 c sugar and continue whisking for about 2 minutes
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and remaining 1/2 c sugar. Fold in the melted chocolate mixture.
- Add almonds and mix well
- Whisk in a quarter of the egg whites and using a rubber spatula, gently fold in the rest of the egg whites keeping the batter airy
- Pour the batter into the pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until center is a bit gooey
- Cool cake on wire rack for 20 minutes
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the 2 TBSP sugar, corn syrup, and 1/4 c water.
- Bring to a boil and then remove from heat
- Add chocolate and allow to melt for about 3 minutes
- Whisk 1 TBSP butter into the icing and pour over cake
- Using a spatula, spread the icing to the edges of the cake and allow to cool before slicing