Cut-Out Cookie Ingredients:
- 2/3 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- Royal Icing (see recipe below)
- Sprinkles for decorating
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter, sugar, and sour cream until smooth. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a separate bowl, combine dry ingredients and add to wet ingredients. Beat until batter forms. Place plastic wrap over bowl of stand mixer and refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line 3 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and turn onto a dusted flour surface. Sprinkle with flour lightly knead. Divide dough in 2 balls. Set 1 aside. With a dusted rolling pin, roll 1 dough to 1/2″ thickness. Using cookie cutters of choice, press into dough. Place cookies onto baking sheet. Re-roll remaining dough scrapes until used up. Repeat with second ball of dough.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until cookies are golden. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
*Yield: About 4 dozen cookies (depending on size of cookie cutters)
Royal Icing Ingredients:
- 3 tbsp Meringue Powder
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar sifted
- 6 tbsp warm water
- 1 tsp almond extract
- In a stand mixer, beat all ingredients until icing forms a peak (7-10 minutes at low speed). If frosting is too thick, add more water, 1 tbsp at a time, until desired consistency.
- With an icing knife, spread frosting onto cookie. Decorate with sprinkles while frosting is still wet. Repeat until all cookies are frosted. Allow to cool completely before eating or storing in tupperware.
*Yield: About 3 cups