- 6 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 pound (4 sticks) butter, softened
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 12 ounces almond paste
- 3 cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 cups raspberry jam
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and line 3 15 x 10" baking pans with parchment paper and grease parchment.
- In a stand mixer with a wire whisk attachment, beat egg whites, 1/2 cup sugar, and cream of tartar until stiff, 2-3 minutes.
- In a stand mixer, cream butter and remaining 1 cup of sugar until smooth. Add egg yolks and almond extract.
- Break up almond paste into little pieces and add to the mix until blended.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and salt and add to mix.
- With wire whisk attachment, fold in egg whites.
- Divide dough into 3 equal portions. Add 2-3 drops of green food
coloring to one batch and 2-3 drops of red coloring to another. Leave
one batch of dough natural color.
- Evenly spread dough into each baking sheet. (To spread easier, wet knife occasionally and note that each layer will be thin.)
- Back each dough for 15 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.
- Cool completely.
- Prepare baking sheet with parchment paper and place green layer down first. Spread 1 cup of jam evenly over.
- Place yellow layer of cake on top of jam and spread 1 cup of jam evenly over top.
- Place the pink layer over the top of the jam and cover with plastic wrap.
- Place a cutting board on top to weigh it down and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Melt 1 cup of chocolate chips and spread thinly over the red layer. Allow to sit until dry.
- Flip cake over onto parchment and melt 1 cup of chocolate chips. Spread evenly over green cake and allow to set until dry.
- Using a serrated knife, trim edges and cut into 1" squares.
Yield: About 80 cookies