- 2 packages active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 1 stick butter, melted and cooled
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar
- zest of 1 lemon
- 5-5 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 cup craisins
- 1/2 cup candied orange peel (to view recipe please go to Leite’s Culinaria)
- 1 tbsp butter, melted
- Sprinkle yeast over water and set aside.
- In a stand mixer, beat butter, eggs, salt, and sugar.
- Using a wood spoon, add yeast and 4 cups flour and mix well.
- Using the hook attachment on your stand mixer, knead dough until not sticky, adding 1-1 1/2 cups flour.
- Knead in craisins and candied orange peel. Add dough to a greased
bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and dish towels and allow to rise in a
warm spot for 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead on a floured work surface a few
times and place in panettone mold or liner. (If you don’t have a liner
or mold, you can line a deep cake pan with parchment paper that extends
over the edges.)
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt 1 tbsp butter.
- With a serrated knife, cut an “X” in the top of the dough and brush the melted butter over.
- Cover with plastic wrap and towels and allow to rise in a warm spot for 30-45 more minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Bake panettone for 10 minutes or until the top is golden.
- Turn oven down to 325 degrees and bake for 50-60 minutes or until brown.
- Allow to cool before serving or freeze for future use.
Yield: One 10″ loaf