A write up on the history of the cemetery: 

[TO BE ADDED LATER]


Notable List of People Buried in Riverside Cemetery:

John Cruikshank - The family's fortune was found in the lumber business.  The first mansion in Hannibal that he built was at the corner of South Fifth and Lyon Street, presently the James O'Donnell Funeral Home.  At a later date, Rockcliffe Mansion was built.  During the Civil War, J.J. Cruikshank, Jr. enlisted into Missouri's Thirty-eighth Regiment.

Jacob P. Beckley - (1867-1918) Was a first baseman for the Reds and then the St. Louis Cardinals.  In 1971 he was elected to the National Baseball Hall of Fame. 

Alfred N. Lamb - (1824-1888)  Was a U.S. Representative from Missouri.  He was a lawyer and instrumental in starting the F&M Bank.  He was a stockholder in the Hannibal and New London Plank Road Company.

A.R. Levering (1839-1912) He gave the land and funds to start the Levering Hospital.  He was instrumental in starting the F&M Bank.  He was a stockholder in the Hannibal and New London Plank Road Company.

Judge Henry G. Ridel (1874-1970) Served on the board of directors of MCM and F&M banks.  He retired after 51 1/2 years of service.

George H. Riedel (1913-2000) Served on the board of directors of MCM and F&M banks.  Founder of the Riedel Foundation.

George Riedel (1831-1892) He was on the board of F&M Bank.

Evan T. Cameron (1865-1944) He was a judge.  He purchased the Mark Twain Cave and provided guide services.  Cameron Cave was named after his family.

Stillwell - Stillwell Ice Company started manufacturing artificial ice.  Ice House Theater.

David Dubach (1826-1897)  Moved to Hannibal in 1858 to build a planning mill, lumberyard, and brickyard.  He designed some of Hannibal's most impressive buildings.  He enlisted into the Missouri Thirty-eight Regiment during the Civil War.  After the war David opened the Magnolia Flour Mill and the Empire Flour Mill.  He built a beautiful Italianate Villa for his family on Millionaires Row.

Col. Wm H. Hatch (1833-1896)  U.S. Congressman, fought for the Confederate Army, owner of Hatch Farms in Hannibal, MO.  He helped secure the appropriations for a federal building in Hannibal.  His statue is located in Central Park, downtown Hannibal.

Dr. Edward Plowman (1926-1998) Well known ophthalmologist in Hannibal for almost 40 years.  He served in World War II with the 24th Division in the Philippines.  Served as a board member for Riverside Cemetery Association.

Bayard Plowman (1923-2011) President of F&M Bank - 1971, Chairman of the Board of Directors - 1989.  After the war, he returned to Hannibal to work for the Hannibal Bus Station and in 1946, went to work for the Marion County Mutual Building and Loan.  At that time, MCM only had to employees.  During Mr. Plowman's tenure, it grew along with opening two out-of-town branches along with having four other financial banks merge into them.  In 2006, Farmers and Merchants Bank merged into MCM and MCM changed it's name to F&M Bank and Trust.  He remained the Chairman of F&M Bank and Trust until his death.
Mr. Plowman held many positions during his lifetime.  He was the President of the Board of Beth Haven Nursing Home during the time they built their present facility; he was president of the Hannibal Merchants Credit Bureau for 30 years; board member of the Hannibal Mutual Savings & Loan; a president of the Hannibal Chamber of Commerce; the 2009 recipient of the Hannibal Chamber of Commerce Pacesetter Award; board member of the Clarence Cannon Dam Association; past member of the Board of Session of the First Presbyterian Church; a member and past elder of the First Presbyterian Church in Hannibal; past presiding commissioner of Marion County; and a member of the Hannibal Rotary Club.  He was also appointed by then Governor Kit Bond, as a member of the State Savings and Loan Commission, an appointment he held up to his death.  Mr. Plowman dedicated his life to the betterment of his community and community banking.

Charles and Annie Rennau - Owner of Bud's Golden Creamary, first soft serve ice cream developer.

Dr. D.H. Shields - One of the original shareholders of the Labinnah Club and on the Board of Directors - 1901.

W.A. Munger - One of the original shareholders of the Labinnah Club and on the Board of Directors - 1901. 

William Wilson - One of the original shareholders of the Labinnah Club and on the Board of Directors - 1901.

Arvids Danielson (1902-1979) Hannibal artist whose art work is seen in many homes and public buildings.  He was a commercial artist until retirement and then he was devoted to painting and teaching.

Carl E. Scheidker - 1919 Sergent of Arms of the first Rotary Club

Charles F. Bassen - 1919 Charter member of the Rotary Club

Albert Hoffman - 1920 - Charter member of the Lion's Club

Dr. Lysle Bach (1924-2003) He moved his family to Hannibal in 1958 assuming radiology practice in both St. Elizabeth and Levering Hospital and the Hannibal Clinic upon it's organization.  He served as Chief of Staff at both hospitals and President of the MO State Medical Association.  he served in many state medical associations positions and was honored in 1987 as a Fellow in the American Society of Radiologists.  He originated and served as director of two AMA approved schools of Radiologic Technology from 1959-1984.  He initiated a two-way call system for the hospitals and medical community in 1966 that continued until the advancement of technology that brought personal pagers to the public.  
His civic affiliations included the Hannibal Council of Alcohol & Drug Abuse, Chairman of March of Dimes, Medical Director for the Marion County Heart Association, Chairman of the Hannibal Airport Commission, Rotary Club, United Way, Hannibal Chamber of Commerce, and many others.

Mayor Morris Anderson - He was a prominent Hannibal Attorney and civic leader.  He presided over the dedication of the Tom and Huck statue in 1926.  Morris traveled nationwide with Chautauqua companies, lyceum courses, and at many civic gatherings.  In October 1924, the issue of The Billboard, a national known publication said Morris was the top Chautauqua speaker.

Judge Joshua P. Richards (1820-1905) Opened the first hardware store in Hannibal.  He then went into private banking.  He helped organize F&M Bank and was the Vice President.  He was also a stockholder and director of the bank for many years.  He was one of the organizers and directors of the Hannibal and Central MO Railroad.  He was part of the city council and later was elected judge of the county court.

Jason Thomas Dugger (1972-2009)  Jason was a professional musician and a music teacher.  He performed with a theater group in Columbia, MO.  He loved creating art and playing the piano with his band, "The Jazz Cocktails".  He was an active member of the Hannibal Arts Council.